Giant Orange No Match for Cubs at Riverview
D. J. Wilson belted a two-run triple, walked twice, and scored a run, Luis Verdugo drilled two RBI singles, Carlos Morfa smacked a solo HR and singled, and SP Erich Uelmen hurled four innings of one-run ball, leading the Cubs "B" team to an 8-3 victory over the Giants Orange squad in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Friday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (3-U, BB, BB, 3B, R, 2 RBI)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-4 (L-4, 3-U, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Brennen Davis, RF: 0-3 (1-3, K, P-4, BB)
4a. Jonathan Soto, C: 1-4 (L-8, 2B, 6-3, K)
4b. Caleb Knight, C: NO AB
5. Pedro Martinez, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, BB, K, R)
6. Fabian Pertuz, 2B: 1-3 (BB, P-4, 1B, P-3, R)
7. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, F-9, K)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, BB, F-7, 2 R)
9a. Carlos Morfa, LF: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
9b. Jose Gutierrez, LF: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
10. Yovanny Cuevas, DH #2: 1-4 (P-3, 1B, L-7, 5-3, R, RBI)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/AO, 70 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Raidel Orta: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Pablo Ochoa: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Maikel Aguiar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Jonathan Soto: E-2 (overthrow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Fabian Pertuz: E-4 (missed catch on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jonathan Soto: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Caleb Knight: 1-1 CS
CUBS "B TEAM BASERUNNING:
Carlos Morfa - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to advance to 2nd base after RBI single
NOTE: Morfa injured his left ankle sliding into 2nd base and had to be helped off the field
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 41 min ago (view)
That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.
crunch 13 hours 47 min ago (view)
...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.
...and he closes it out with a K. neat.
this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.
crunch 13 hours 54 min ago (view)
strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.
homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.
crunch 14 hours 2 min ago (view)
welcome back kimbrel.
1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.
crunch 14 hours 33 min ago (view)
one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.
crunch 15 hours 28 min ago (view)
woo, a good cubs away game.
crunch 17 hours 39 min ago (view)
heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q
crunch 19 hours 1 min ago (view)
so stoked for the williamsport game.
the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one. it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.
Arizona Phil 20 hours 22 min ago (view)
Craig Kimbrel reinstated from IL, Duane Underwood Jr optioned to Iowa, Mark Zagunis recalled as the "26th man" for tonight's game (special travel required to get to Williamsport so MLB Comissioner permits 26th man for both clubs).
crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
Charlie 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.