Giant Orange No Match for Cubs at Riverview
D. J. Wilson belted a two-run triple, walked twice, and scored a run, Luis Verdugo drilled two RBI singles, Carlos Morfa smacked a solo HR and singled, and SP Erich Uelmen hurled four innings of one-run ball, leading the Cubs "B" team to an 8-3 victory over the Giants Orange squad in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Friday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-2 (3-U, BB, BB, 3B, R, 2 RBI)
2. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-4 (L-4, 3-U, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Brennen Davis, RF: 0-3 (1-3, K, P-4, BB)
4a. Jonathan Soto, C: 1-4 (L-8, 2B, 6-3, K)
4b. Caleb Knight, C: NO AB
5. Pedro Martinez, 3B: 0-3 (F-9, K, BB, K, R)
6. Fabian Pertuz, 2B: 1-3 (BB, P-4, 1B, P-3, R)
7. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, F-9, K)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, BB, F-7, 2 R)
9a. Carlos Morfa, LF: 2-2 (HR, 1B, R, RBI)
9b. Jose Gutierrez, LF: 1-2 (2B, K, R)
10. Yovanny Cuevas, DH #2: 1-4 (P-3, 1B, L-7, 5-3, R, RBI)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/AO, 70 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Raidel Orta: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Pablo Ochoa: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Maikel Aguiar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Jonathan Soto: E-2 (overthrow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 2B Fabian Pertuz: E-4 (missed catch on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jonathan Soto: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Caleb Knight: 1-1 CS
CUBS "B TEAM BASERUNNING:
Carlos Morfa - thrown out 7-5-4 attempting to advance to 2nd base after RBI single
NOTE: Morfa injured his left ankle sliding into 2nd base and had to be helped off the field
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Dolorous Jon Lester 59 min 34 sec ago (view)
Managerial change making a difference I think. Hopefully the changes to the amateur scouting department also bears fruit
Cubster 2 hours 48 min ago (view)
David Ross might be worthy of a little credit, especially sorting out the bullpen issues.
crunch 2 hours 52 min ago (view)
this team is amazing. i want more than 60 games of this. darvish since mid-season last year has been great stuff.
also, wick got to close. kimbrel hasn't worked in quite a while.
Eric S 3 hours 34 min ago (view)
39 pitch inning by Burnes.
crunch 4 hours 9 min ago (view)
...well, it is true that's the plan...but...umm..."allegedly"
QuietMan 4 hours 19 min ago (view)
Cubs to play double headers Monday and Wednesday against the Cardinals.
Eric S 5 hours 11 min ago (view)
Ha! Hope Nico goes on a heater!
Cubster 5 hours 16 min ago (view)
"Not thrilled"...as if on cue, Nico leads off with a double and a later Schwarbsbomb.
Eric S 7 hours 10 min ago (view)
Updated Bullpen tiers:
Tier 1 (Closer/Firemen)
Wick and Jeffress (interchangeable)
Tier 2 (Preferred Setup roles)
Tepera, Sadler, Rea (!)
Tier 3 (Face lefties exclusively if possible)
Ryan (has to get that fastball out of mid-80s or head to South Bend)
Tier 4 (Long man innings eater)
Tier 10 (reserved for use when either up or down by 10+ runs)
I think that covers it?
Jackstraw 8 hours 39 min ago (view)
Wait. The bullpen can get worse? That's unpossible.
Eric S 8 hours 58 min ago (view)
Here we go again: Nico, Rizzo, Javy, Willson, Schwarber (LF), Happ, Bote, Souza, Caratini
Not thrilled with Nico leading off when the greatest leadoff hitter in baseball history was available but whatever
crunch 9 hours 15 min ago (view)
bryant was supposedly gonna be in the lineup but he has left ring finger and wrist hurties.
Charlie 9 hours 30 min ago (view)
I really think they could play .500 from here and would take the division.
But leave room for at least a week long slump due to bullpen implosion.
Cubster 9 hours 33 min ago (view)
Don't get too giddy but...
One Quarter of the schedule is complete.
Pace is for a 48-12 record which when extrapolated to 162 games is about 130 win season.
Is it all downhill from here?
Cardinals at White Sox game tomorrow is possibly canceled per Sun-Times reporting that Bob Nightengale of USA Today and Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported the postponement.
Eric S 10 hours ago (view)
Brewers Game 1: KB (LF), Rizzo, Javy, Willson (DH), Happ, Bote (3B), Souza (RF), Nico, Caratini, Darvish
Eric S 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Reds just lost in tough fashion to the Royals. Down 5-4 in the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, one out and rap into a 5-4-3 dp to end it.