Slaughter Rules and Verdugo Goes Yard at EXST
Jake Slaughter drilled two singles (including a two-run single that put the "A" team on the board), walked, and scored a run, Herson Perez smacked an inside-the-park HR (ball bounced off fence and rolled into LF corner and Perez slid head-first into home just ahead of the tag), and SP Carlos Ocampo hurled four innings of shutout ball and combined with two relievers on a four-hitter, as the Cubs "A" team defeated the Cubs "B" team 8-1 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Luis Verdugo belted a solo HR to account for the lone "B" team run.
"B" team SP Didier Vargas retired the first nine batters he faced (6-3, K, L-9 * K, F-9, F-7 * K, K, 1-3) before running into trouble and surrendering two runs in the 4th on Slaughter's two-out two-run single.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 1-3, 2 SB)
2. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K)
3. Henderson Perez, C: 0-2 (F-9 DP, HBP, P-2)
4. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
5. Luis Verdugo, SS: 2-3 (1B, F-9, HR, R, RBI, SB)
6. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (P-6, BB, P-3)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, DH #2: 0-2 (3-1, BB, L-4)
8. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-3 (1B, 3-U, E-6, CS)
9. Carlos Pacheco, DH-LF: 0-2 (K, K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
10. Kevin Moreno, LF-DH: 0-2 (F-9, K)
11. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Ezequiel Pagan, CF: 1-4 (6-3, K, L-9, 1B, R, RBI)
2. Herson Perez, 2B-DH: 1-3 (K, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, L-7, R)
4. Jake Slaughter, 3B: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, BB, 2 RBI, SB)
5. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 1-4 (F-9, 6-3, L-7, 1B, RBI)
6. Brandon Vicens, LF: 0-2 (F-7, BB, K, BB, R, RBI)
7a. Orian Nunez, C-DH: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, R)
7b. Albert Hinirio, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
8, Ervis Marchan, 1B: 0-2 (K, SH-E1, 3-U)
9. Danny Zardon, DH-C: 1-2 (1-3, F-8 SF, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
10. Raymond Pena, DH-2B: 0-1 (BB, 6-4-3 DP, HBP, 2 R)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Didier Vargas: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 3/4 GO/AO, 56 pitches (35 strikes)
2. Alfredo Colorado: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 57 pitches (30 strikes)
3. Maikel Aguiar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (10 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Ocampo: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/AO, 58 pitches (31 strikes)
2. Omar Ventura: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Manuel Heredia: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/AO, 29 pitches (22 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 1
P Alfredo Colorado: E-1 (fielding miscue on sacrifice bunt allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 3
1. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthow to 2nd base on SB attempt allowed runner to advance to 3rd
2. C Orian Nunez: E-2 (overthrow on back-pick attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
3. SS Fabian Pertuz: E-6 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-1 CS
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Orian Nunez: 1-4 CS, 1 PB, 2 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Eddy Julio Martinez - threw out baserunner (Rochest Cruz) 9-2 after F-9
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 1 hour 26 min ago (view)
"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.
Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""
crunch 2 hours 22 min ago (view)
"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.
Cubster 7 hours 11 min ago (view)
Two White Sox test positive for Covid. Not yet disclosed who they are. Reminder that the Cubs are going to be scheduled to play the WSox for 6 games.
Jackstraw 19 hours 3 min ago (view)
Don't let short-term market fluctuations diminsh your enthusiasm for a great long-term investment.
crunch 21 hours 14 min ago (view)
freddy freeman + aaron nola are also positive star players.
the scary thing is freeman tested negative on tuesday. by thursday he was sick and tested positive shortly afterwards. some may question the strength of the MLB test if they were the ones who gave freeman's initial negative...
Cubster 22 hours 7 min ago (view)
COVID positive: LeMahieu NYY; Sano MIN; S Perez KC.
crunch 23 hours 59 min ago (view)
phillies now have 7 down with covid...freddy freeman (ATL) has symptomatic covid with fever/chills/aches for the past 3 days...some players on multiple teams are still awaiting initial test results so they can join spring training 2.0 with their teams...
also, this photo of pablo sandoval (SF) taking grounders at 3rd... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcHFTylVcAAE5SI?format...
Cubster 1 day 27 min ago (view)
Wittenmeyer tweet: Hendricks and Darvish combine for 4 Ks in a pair of scoreless half-innings.
Press box wag: "Cubs hitting sucks this year"
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
2020 schedule to be announced monday (tentative).
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
d.price (LAD) to sit out the season.
LAD isn't going to get d.price at all in 2020 and they got m.betts for 60-ish games until he's a FA. ow. that duo cost them jeter downs, alex verdugo, and connor wong.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
I acquired Trout over the winter in a keeper league. Not feeling too great about that either.
Hagsag 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
Andrew Cashner still hasn't signed with anyone. Could be useful.
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
the cleveland indians have released a statement that they are open for dialogue about the future of the team's name.
twitter is all over it and seems to be all about going back to "cleveland spiders", an unrelated dead MLB team lineage in cleveland from the 1800s (some guy named cy young played for them).
crunch 2 days 19 min ago (view)
Q coming back in 4-6 weeks will be like a mid-season trade! sigh...
but yeah, they should be good in-house with expanded rosters unless they get slammed by IL stuff.
crunch 2 days 20 min ago (view)
MLB has confirmed 38 positives (players/coaches/personel/etc) so far.
Arizona Phil 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
With 17 pitchers likely on the 30-man MLB Active List roster for the first two weeks and then probably 15 pitchers on the 28-man Active List for the next two weeks after that, the Cubs should be able to "bullpen" games quite a bit for the first month. They won't really need five starters.