Cubs and Angels Tie-Up Loose Ends After Nine
Rafael Mejia walloped a line-drive three-run HR over the LF fence to give the Cubs "B" team a 3-1 lead in the 5th, but Cam Williams (RBI double) and Michael Hermosillo (RBI single) stroked consecutive two-out run-scoring hits in the 7th for the Angels, as the two teams played to a 3-3 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Friday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after nine innings of play.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Pedro Martinez, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, K, K, F-8, PO)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-4 (K, 6-3, 3-U, 4-3)
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-2 (BB, 1N, BB, 3-1)
4. Luis Verdugo, SS: 0-3 (F-8, 5-4-3 DP, BB, E-4)
5. Jonathan Soto, C: 1-4 (K, 2B, K, F-8, R)
6a. Fabian Pertuz, 3B: 0-1 (BB, P-6, PO)
6b. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 0-1 (6-3)
7. Abraham Rodriguez, 1B: 0-2 (F-9, BB, L-4, R)
8. Rafael Mejia, DH #2: 1-3 (K, HR, K, R, 3 RBI)
9. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
10. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 0-2 (BB, L-7, 6-3)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Jose Miguel Gonzalez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 4/5 GO/AO, 44 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Danny Hultzen: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 15 pitches (12 strikes)
3. Ruben Reyes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Jesus Tejada: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/AO, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Ivan Medina: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (16 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: 1
3B Fabian Pertuz: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 10 hours 34 min ago (view)
* all figures stated are in a range of +/- 10m
yeah, that was me not typing info correctly. my bad.
Arizona Phil 13 hours 10 min ago (view)
Bryant got $19.5M
crunch 15 hours 20 min ago (view)
bryant 9.5m, contreras 6.65m, baez 11.65m, z.davies 8.63m
looks like happ is going to arbitration.
Arizona Phil 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
RHP Edward Vasquez (2017 IFA - Dominican Republic) has retired.
E. Vasquez was one of the top SP on DSL Cubs Red in 2019 and was expected to be a SP on one of the Cubs AZL teams in 2020 if the minor league season hadn't been canceled.
He would have been first-time Rule 5 Draft eligible post-2021.
K Dub 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
danny hultzen retires and joins the cubs as a "pitching development assistant"
shame the comeback story didn't last longer...but hey, at least he got to taste the bigs after his body failed him for so many years.
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
theo joining the commish's front office operation as a "consultant reguarding on field matters"...basically weighing in on the possible impact of rules changes.
Arizona Phil 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
K Dub 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
Yeah, to my calculation that suspension should be over by now unless he got caught again...
Wrigley Rat 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
(Not Phil) - Last I saw, he was on the restricted list.
K Dub 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
PHIL: Did the Cubs release Saul Vazquez?
Sonicwind75 5 days 21 hours ago (view)
The 2021 guaranteed amount is $7 + $3 million mutual option buyout. 10>8. Most media reports summarizes it as a $10 million deal.
CubbyBlue 5 days 21 hours ago (view)
Thanks Eric. After I put it up I thought.. damn I'm old. I wonder if people even remember back that far. I still think about that day. Uggh. Sorry.
Charlie 5 days 22 hours ago (view)
I'm always confused by this. They also could have tendered him and then boosted his value by trading him with a million or two in cash considerations. Obviously, that's a million or two more expensive than simply non-tendering--but couldn't you at least get an interesting prospect in return from one of these teams? They obviosuly thought it was worth their return to toss in a few million in the Darvish trade.
tim815 5 days 23 hours ago (view)
The 2021 amount is 7.
The buyout is 3.
crunch 6 days 12 hours ago (view)
chase strumpf is quickly emerging as a "trendy" organizational hot prospect, even among non-cubs fans. amaya is having a decent winter league showing so far...taking a lot of walks, too.