Balls

J-Hey reached double figures Tuesday night, less than halfway through the season after managing only eight all of last year, and he’s not the only one who’s putting up some impressive HR numbers in 2019.

Monday was Getaway Day for the I-Cubs. It was a beautiful day for a ballgame in Des Moines and this one was scheduled for a noon start. Even though I work for the school district and summer break is in full swing, I had to report for light duty. The best I could do was pack a sack lunch to enjoy at the ballpark along with the first couple of innings, so that’s what I did. I ate my ham sandwich in the parking lot, then sat in the sun-soaked bleachers to watch the first inning before heading back to work. But first, I decided to walk a lap around the ballpark which straddles two rivers. I’d just rounded the RF corner when the idling crowd started to rev and I looked up to see heads turning in my general direction. I looked higher and picked up the flight of a ball riding a generous breeze clear out of the park where it landed on a concrete terrace of fountains and bounced to a stop in the grass beyond. I was the only one nearby and could have taken my time retrieving the bright white meteorite. Still, I hustled as quick as I’m able. Always have with regard to baseball(s). That’s HR #4 for me this spring/summer. A few weeks ago, I recorded my first-ever two-homer game. In addition, I’ve collected 3 in-park foul balls, 1 parking lot foul and 4 BP balls; 2 outdoors and 2 that escaped the indoor clubhouse batting cage through a door left slightly ajar. Last year I tallied a career high 11 PCL pearls, none of which were homeruns (though one was the single hit by Kris Bryant when he stopped here for a few games on his way back into the Chicago lineup late last August. After it was taken out of play and trickled back to the I-Cub dugout, Taylor Davis handed it to me in the dugout annex reserved for shutterbugs.). In the gift shop they sell pristine ones for $20. To me, the abrasions on mine are worth more. (For the record, The Hannemann hit it. Mostly he runs well and plays strong OF defense, but he’s wearing other caps since rejoining the I-Cubs after EXST. He’s had a couple appearances as a pitcher and he later homered again on Monday. Everybody likes hitting the juicy MLB balls in PCL clothing they’re playing with this year.)

Comments

Thanks for the scene, Mike! (Almost makes up for not being able to take my lunch by the ballpark!)

games attended by me: hundreds - balls caught by me: zero

games attended by my wife: a few dozen - balls caught my my wife: two (one literally bounced into her lap)

*shrug*

CRUNCH: The following is an absolutely true story:

I can't say I've been to hundreds of Cubs games, but it's been quite a few. I, too, had never gotten a ball until one day in 2004 during batting practice. (To this day, I've never gotten an in-game ball.) I was in the left field bleachers and a ball rolled onto the warning track. Moises Alou was out there shagging and came over to get the ball. I yelled, "Moises! Hey, Moises! I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and have never gotten a ball!" He looked at me like "yeah, right" and tossed the ball to a pretty girl. Another ball rolled onto the warning track and again I called out, "Moises, serioulsy, I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and have never gotten a ball!" He again looked at me in disbelief, and this time tossed the ball to a kid. But I didn't give up, on the next ball I did the same thing. "Hey! Moises, c'mon man, I'm serious! I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and I've never gotten a ball!" He looked up at me and asked, "For real?" I said, "Yeah, man, for real." And , much to my surprise, he tossed it to me. Everyone around me in the bleachers cheered.

A short while later, another ball rolled over in my direction and again Alou came to retrieve it. I yelled, "Hey, Moises, I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and only gotten 1 ball!" He, and everyone around me, laughed. He looked up and said, "Now that's funny. man," and tossed me that one, too.

haha.  awesome.

that was funny.

*tosses you a ball that didn't come from someone who pees on his hands*

• crunch 1 hour 13 min ago (view)

"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.

Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""

• crunch 2 hours 9 min ago (view)

"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.

• Cubster 6 hours 58 min ago (view)

Two White Sox test positive for Covid. Not yet disclosed who they are. Reminder that the Cubs are going to be scheduled to play the WSox for 6 games.

• Jackstraw 18 hours 50 min ago (view)

Don't let short-term market fluctuations diminsh your enthusiasm for a great long-term investment.

• crunch 21 hours 1 min ago (view)

freddy freeman + aaron nola are also positive star players.

the scary thing is freeman tested negative on tuesday.  by thursday he was sick and tested positive shortly afterwards.  some may question the strength of the MLB test if they were the ones who gave freeman's initial negative...

• Cubster 21 hours 54 min ago (view)

COVID positive: LeMahieu NYY; Sano MIN; S Perez KC.

• crunch 23 hours 46 min ago (view)

phillies now have 7 down with covid...freddy freeman (ATL) has symptomatic covid with fever/chills/aches for the past 3 days...some players on multiple teams are still awaiting initial test results so they can join spring training 2.0 with their teams...

also, this photo of pablo sandoval (SF) taking grounders at 3rd... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcHFTylVcAAE5SI?format...

• Cubster 1 day 14 min ago (view)

Wittenmeyer tweet: Hendricks and Darvish combine for 4 Ks in a pair of scoreless half-innings.

Press box wag: "Cubs hitting sucks this year"

• crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

2020 schedule to be announced monday (tentative).

• crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

d.price (LAD) to sit out the season.

LAD isn't going to get d.price at all in 2020 and they got m.betts for 60-ish games until he's a FA.  ow.  that duo cost them jeter downs, alex verdugo, and connor wong.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

I acquired Trout over the winter in a keeper league. Not feeling too great about that either.

• Hagsag 1 day 12 hours ago (view)

Andrew Cashner still hasn't signed with anyone. Could be useful.

• crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

the cleveland indians have released a statement that they are open for dialogue about the future of the team's name.

twitter is all over it and seems to be all about going back to "cleveland spiders", an unrelated dead MLB team lineage in cleveland from the 1800s (some guy named cy young played for them).

• crunch 2 days 6 min ago (view)

Q coming back in 4-6 weeks will be like a mid-season trade!  sigh...

but yeah, they should be good in-house with expanded rosters unless they get slammed by IL stuff.

• crunch 2 days 7 min ago (view)

MLB has confirmed 38 positives (players/coaches/personel/etc) so far.

• Arizona Phil 2 days 50 min ago (view)

With 17 pitchers likely on the 30-man MLB Active List roster for the first two weeks and then probably 15 pitchers on the 28-man Active List for the next two weeks after that, the Cubs should be able to "bullpen" games quite a bit for the first month. They won't really need five starters.