Balls

J-Hey reached double figures Tuesday night, less than halfway through the season after managing only eight all of last year, and he’s not the only one who’s putting up some impressive HR numbers in 2019.

Monday was Getaway Day for the I-Cubs. It was a beautiful day for a ballgame in Des Moines and this one was scheduled for a noon start. Even though I work for the school district and summer break is in full swing, I had to report for light duty. The best I could do was pack a sack lunch to enjoy at the ballpark along with the first couple of innings, so that’s what I did. I ate my ham sandwich in the parking lot, then sat in the sun-soaked bleachers to watch the first inning before heading back to work. But first, I decided to walk a lap around the ballpark which straddles two rivers. I’d just rounded the RF corner when the idling crowd started to rev and I looked up to see heads turning in my general direction. I looked higher and picked up the flight of a ball riding a generous breeze clear out of the park where it landed on a concrete terrace of fountains and bounced to a stop in the grass beyond. I was the only one nearby and could have taken my time retrieving the bright white meteorite. Still, I hustled as quick as I’m able. Always have with regard to baseball(s). That’s HR #4 for me this spring/summer. A few weeks ago, I recorded my first-ever two-homer game. In addition, I’ve collected 3 in-park foul balls, 1 parking lot foul and 4 BP balls; 2 outdoors and 2 that escaped the indoor clubhouse batting cage through a door left slightly ajar. Last year I tallied a career high 11 PCL pearls, none of which were homeruns (though one was the single hit by Kris Bryant when he stopped here for a few games on his way back into the Chicago lineup late last August. After it was taken out of play and trickled back to the I-Cub dugout, Taylor Davis handed it to me in the dugout annex reserved for shutterbugs.). In the gift shop they sell pristine ones for $20. To me, the abrasions on mine are worth more. (For the record, The Hannemann hit it. Mostly he runs well and plays strong OF defense, but he’s wearing other caps since rejoining the I-Cubs after EXST. He’s had a couple appearances as a pitcher and he later homered again on Monday. Everybody likes hitting the juicy MLB balls in PCL clothing they’re playing with this year.)

Comments

Thanks for the scene, Mike! (Almost makes up for not being able to take my lunch by the ballpark!)

games attended by me: hundreds - balls caught by me: zero

games attended by my wife: a few dozen - balls caught my my wife: two (one literally bounced into her lap)

*shrug*

CRUNCH: The following is an absolutely true story:

I can't say I've been to hundreds of Cubs games, but it's been quite a few. I, too, had never gotten a ball until one day in 2004 during batting practice. (To this day, I've never gotten an in-game ball.) I was in the left field bleachers and a ball rolled onto the warning track. Moises Alou was out there shagging and came over to get the ball. I yelled, "Moises! Hey, Moises! I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and have never gotten a ball!" He looked at me like "yeah, right" and tossed the ball to a pretty girl. Another ball rolled onto the warning track and again I called out, "Moises, serioulsy, I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and have never gotten a ball!" He again looked at me in disbelief, and this time tossed the ball to a kid. But I didn't give up, on the next ball I did the same thing. "Hey! Moises, c'mon man, I'm serious! I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and I've never gotten a ball!" He looked up at me and asked, "For real?" I said, "Yeah, man, for real." And , much to my surprise, he tossed it to me. Everyone around me in the bleachers cheered.

A short while later, another ball rolled over in my direction and again Alou came to retrieve it. I yelled, "Hey, Moises, I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and only gotten 1 ball!" He, and everyone around me, laughed. He looked up and said, "Now that's funny. man," and tossed me that one, too.

haha.  awesome.

that was funny.

*tosses you a ball that didn't come from someone who pees on his hands*

• crunch 3 hours 38 min ago (view)

cole hamels continues to suck.

3.1, 4.1, 3.1 innings his last 3 starts.  he hasn't been the same since coming back after his july injury rest.

• crunch 4 hours 35 min ago (view)

so far so good...

go schwarb

it's kinda frightening that schwarb in LF is a better option than schwarb playing 1st with rizzo out.  i wonder how bad it really is...

• crunch 7 hours 23 min ago (view)

zobrist / cast / bryant / schwarb / contreras / caratini (1st) / heyward / hoe / ham

• crunch 7 hours 25 min ago (view)

rizzo to wear a boot for 5-7 days then they'll see where it goes from there.

• Charlie 8 hours 19 min ago (view)

It makes sense, for sure. I'm more concerned about the Brewers than the Nats, though. The optimal outcome would be Cubs sweep, Nats sweep, Brewers get swept. Can't pass the Nats that way, but can take the division lead and put the Brewers further back.

Odds on that (using Fangraphs #s):

Cubs sweep: 24.6%

Cubs sweep and Cards get swept: 4.9%

Cubs sweep, Cards get swept, Brewers get swept: 0.29%

I can dream.

• bradsbeard 10 hours 11 min ago (view)

I just want whatever will maximize the odds of the playoffs. The Cubs have the opportunity to take care of the Cards themselves. Ideally there is still a wild card slot for them if they can’t.

• Charlie 10 hours 27 min ago (view)

Absolutely agree. Winning the division is both much better for playoff progression chances *and* far more satisfying than coming in second to the Cards. I root for whatever gets them closest to that at this point.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 10 hours 51 min ago (view)

Gotta root against StL. I don’t want a wild card appearance. I don’t like our chances at home vs Scherzer, Strasburg, or Corbin a whole lot more than I do in Washington.

• bradsbeard 11 hours 38 min ago (view)

I’d almost feel better if the Cards took 2 of 3 from the Nats. If the Cubs sweep, they'd be just 1 game back of the Cards and a half game up on the Nats.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 12 hours 14 min ago (view)

Even worse for StL. 7 vs Cubs, 3 vs Nationals

The fate of Cubs and Cardinals season is going to come down to 7 games against one another. Cubs gotta win 5 if they want to win division I think. Good thing 4 of 7 are at Wrigley.

• crunch 15 hours 27 min ago (view)

13 games left for CHC...7 vs STL

13 games left for MIL...all vs teams under .500 (SD, PIT, CIN, COL)

buckle up...it's gonna be a "fun" couple of weeks.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 15 hours 50 min ago (view)

The way MIL is playing makes me... uneasy. Too bad we didn’t bury them. Especially because they won’t play anyone with a winning record from here on out.

That said, much as I LOATHE the team and fans at Wrigley North, I’d still rather see them take the division than the shitbirds.

• crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

bote really needs to overcome his weird habbit of trying to duck under high/inside pitches rather than leaning out of them.

• crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

47 cubs runs in this 3 game series...14 HRs.

• crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

STL up by 1...MIL with 2 outs, bases loaded, top 9th.

r.braun grand slam.  MIL leads by 3.

barring some crazy comebacks, STL's lead should shrink to 2 games.

• crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

sprained right ankle for rizzo...xray showed no break...MRI tomorrow