Balls

J-Hey reached double figures Tuesday night, less than halfway through the season after managing only eight all of last year, and he’s not the only one who’s putting up some impressive HR numbers in 2019.

Monday was Getaway Day for the I-Cubs. It was a beautiful day for a ballgame in Des Moines and this one was scheduled for a noon start. Even though I work for the school district and summer break is in full swing, I had to report for light duty. The best I could do was pack a sack lunch to enjoy at the ballpark along with the first couple of innings, so that’s what I did. I ate my ham sandwich in the parking lot, then sat in the sun-soaked bleachers to watch the first inning before heading back to work. But first, I decided to walk a lap around the ballpark which straddles two rivers. I’d just rounded the RF corner when the idling crowd started to rev and I looked up to see heads turning in my general direction. I looked higher and picked up the flight of a ball riding a generous breeze clear out of the park where it landed on a concrete terrace of fountains and bounced to a stop in the grass beyond. I was the only one nearby and could have taken my time retrieving the bright white meteorite. Still, I hustled as quick as I’m able. Always have with regard to baseball(s). That’s HR #4 for me this spring/summer. A few weeks ago, I recorded my first-ever two-homer game. In addition, I’ve collected 3 in-park foul balls, 1 parking lot foul and 4 BP balls; 2 outdoors and 2 that escaped the indoor clubhouse batting cage through a door left slightly ajar. Last year I tallied a career high 11 PCL pearls, none of which were homeruns (though one was the single hit by Kris Bryant when he stopped here for a few games on his way back into the Chicago lineup late last August. After it was taken out of play and trickled back to the I-Cub dugout, Taylor Davis handed it to me in the dugout annex reserved for shutterbugs.). In the gift shop they sell pristine ones for $20. To me, the abrasions on mine are worth more. (For the record, The Hannemann hit it. Mostly he runs well and plays strong OF defense, but he’s wearing other caps since rejoining the I-Cubs after EXST. He’s had a couple appearances as a pitcher and he later homered again on Monday. Everybody likes hitting the juicy MLB balls in PCL clothing they’re playing with this year.)

Comments

Thanks for the scene, Mike! (Almost makes up for not being able to take my lunch by the ballpark!)

games attended by me: hundreds - balls caught by me: zero

games attended by my wife: a few dozen - balls caught my my wife: two (one literally bounced into her lap)

*shrug*

CRUNCH: The following is an absolutely true story:

I can't say I've been to hundreds of Cubs games, but it's been quite a few. I, too, had never gotten a ball until one day in 2004 during batting practice. (To this day, I've never gotten an in-game ball.) I was in the left field bleachers and a ball rolled onto the warning track. Moises Alou was out there shagging and came over to get the ball. I yelled, "Moises! Hey, Moises! I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and have never gotten a ball!" He looked at me like "yeah, right" and tossed the ball to a pretty girl. Another ball rolled onto the warning track and again I called out, "Moises, serioulsy, I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and have never gotten a ball!" He again looked at me in disbelief, and this time tossed the ball to a kid. But I didn't give up, on the next ball I did the same thing. "Hey! Moises, c'mon man, I'm serious! I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and I've never gotten a ball!" He looked up at me and asked, "For real?" I said, "Yeah, man, for real." And , much to my surprise, he tossed it to me. Everyone around me in the bleachers cheered.

A short while later, another ball rolled over in my direction and again Alou came to retrieve it. I yelled, "Hey, Moises, I've been coming to Cubs games for 30 years and only gotten 1 ball!" He, and everyone around me, laughed. He looked up and said, "Now that's funny. man," and tossed me that one, too.

haha.  awesome.

that was funny.

*tosses you a ball that didn't come from someone who pees on his hands*

• QuietMan 2 hours 10 min ago (view)

Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,

• George Altman 2 hours 25 min ago (view)

Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.

• Mike Wellman 4 hours 33 min ago (view)

I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 55 min ago (view)

Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!

i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.

• Charlie 5 hours 27 min ago (view)

Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.

He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.

That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.

• Arizona Phil 13 hours 4 min ago (view)

Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.

• crunch 18 hours 47 min ago (view)

cubs lose, cards win, brews win.

boo.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 33 min ago (view)

I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.

• Charlie 20 hours 42 min ago (view)

Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?

• Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 41 min ago (view)

I feel pretty safe in saying that 1. They don’t want him and 2. If they did, things wouldn’t improve for CJ.

Allowing inherited runners and 1-2 of your own in a close game is what I like to call the “Carl Jr Special.” It was formerly a Justin Grimm special, thankfully Carl stepped up to fill that void.

• crunch 21 hours 49 min ago (view)

there's always nick castellanos for a chance to rid of edwards...at which point a couple month rental will probably turn edwards into their ace closer or something just as awesome.

• Eric S 21 hours 50 min ago (view)

The bitter side of me thinks it should have been a two for one trade for Maldonado

Anyways, has not been a clean series for the Cubs against the Padres - fortunate to have won the series and a 7-2 home stand is a pretty big dill. Or deal. Or something

• crunch 21 hours 55 min ago (view)

edwards gonna edwards...blah

• bradsbeard 23 hours 23 min ago (view)

Thanks for the clarification. Guess we’ll find out what he’s going to do sooner than later.

• crunch 1 day 27 min ago (view)

delay over, game on.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

And if Zobrist were to consent to an Optional Assignment to the minors for the purpose of getting into playing shape, it could very well be to AA Tennessee (close to his home in Nashville) rather than to AAA Iowa. He might even just play home games for the Smokies and then work out on his own while they are on the road.