Cubs vs. Reds: Hendricks vs. Castillo (Game 94)

CHC (50-43): RHP Kyle Hendricks (7-7, 3.49 ERA)
CIN (42-48): RHP Luis Castillo (8-3, 2.29 ERA)
First pitch 7:05pmCDT

Coming off a sweep of the Pirates, the Cubs work to lengthen a 2.5 game lead in the division and a 6.5 gap between themselves and the last place Reds. Kyle Hendricks will make his first post-break start. His last two starts, both following his IL stint for shoulder impingement, have been abbreviated (the first by rain). Last time he was doing fine until former Cubs Jon Jay and Eloy Jimenez teamed up for the old bloop and a blast. Hendricks is 1-0 in two starts against the Reds this year, allowing four earned runs in 14 innings. Votto is 10-24 off of him with three homeruns. Puig is 4-12 with one homer.

Castillo has made one start since his tough-luck loss against the Cubs on June 29, beating Milwaukee (thanks much!) with 7.2 innings of one-hit, no-run work. He struck out nine and it might have been his best start of the season. He's 1-1 against the Cubs in two starts this season, allowing three earned runs in 12.1 innings, with twelve strikeouts and four walks. Heyward took him deep, walked, and reached on  a fielder's choice in that June 29 start. Contreras, Schwarber, and Descalso all have OPS-es over 1.000 against him for their careers.

Comments

schwarber / baez / bryant(RF) / rizzo / caratini / heyward(CF) / russell / bote(3rd) / hendricks

Was there for all three games against Pittsburgh. Hoping their O continues.

nice.  i would have loved to be able to do a 3-game series and attend them all like many years ago, but i can barely make room for 1 game a season considering the 2 closest parks are 4-6 hours away from NC and ticket prices get new levels of scary every 5 years or so.  i miss those multi-game chill weekend getaways.

we are rich in minor league options no matter where you are in the state, though...so we got that going for us.  easy to get seat, get a beverage, and get some food for $20-$25.

I try to go to a three-game series every year. I have been taking my son for years and began taking two of my grandsons the last four years and plan on bringing all three to a series next year. I was born and raised in the Chicago area and I still have family there (my cousins own the Twin Anchors restaurant in Old Town).

Yes, the cost is much, but the time with family is truly priceless. Trying to enjoy the time I’ve got left, hoping that the boys have a great time and memories to share for generations

can't think of a much better way to spend some loot, myself.  sounds awesome.

bote...dude...ow.

also, dude, cishek.

First half Cubs showed up for the top of the seventh - yuck

Been a month since Rizzo hit a dinger. Tonight would be a good time to get off the schnide.

I bet Hendricks wasn’t envisioning seeing both Rosario and Brach pitching in the 8th after leaving with a 3-2 lead after six.

Brach has inherited 15 runs - some how, some way, 50 of them have scored

Reds reliever Michael Lorenzen reminding Theo that he’s significantly better than both of Theo‘s big offseason acquisitions of Brach and Descalso in both pitching and hitting. Perhaps Brach is the better base runner?

bad D has directly resulted in at least 3 of tonight's reds runs.

Just a putrid game in a lot of respects. Cubs futility against the Reds is highly annoying.

Cubs 1 for 11 with RISP.  That's a .091 batting average.  Some advanced stats manager will start every inning against Cubs by walking the leadoff batter and balking him to second.  After the shutout others will pick it up.

heyward - 1

bat - 0

Happ starting to make some noise in Iowa with a three hit night, with two homers (now 15 for the season), raising his average to .240 - I don’t think it’s been that high for several months.  I believe he’s had a number of multi-hit games the last couple of weeks to help bump up the average.

cubs lose, cards move into 2nd in the central.

Per the internet, Cubs have traded for KC catcher Martin Maldonado. 🤷‍♂️

Update: trade in exchange for Mike Montgomery

Well that will clear up a spot in the bullpen at a minimum and perhaps kicks Descalso to the curb in the process to clear room on the bench for Maldonado

Well shit. Willson to the 10 day IL with a strained arch to the right foot (shakes angry fist at Rosario for his wildness at the root of this).  Guess Descalso will get to relax, strike out and eat sunflower seeds on the bench for a while longer.

pretty much washes out the $$, but i was kinda sick of montgomery.  it's not much of a gamble for KC given that monty has club control years left.

all D with a little pop...better option than t.davis, at least.

hopefully this move isn't because contreras might be DL bound.

Definitely was time for Monty and/or Chatwood to move on.

Willy to the IL.

• crunch 18 hours 29 min ago (view)

so...big fan of the cast trade so far.

yup.

• Arizona Phil 18 hours 59 min ago (view)

Robel Garcia 14 games (53 PA) since being sent back to Iowa on 8/1: 209/358/349, one HR, two doubles, two RBI, one SB, 10 BB (19% BB rate), 17 K (32% K rate), so Dixon Machado (an MLB-quality SS) could replace Garcia on the 40 sooner rather than later.

• crunch 19 hours 1 min ago (view)

heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / lucroy / kemp(2nd) / ham

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

I did 3/4 of a PhD in Ames, IA... no need to apologize. That's time that can jade anybody. The best parts of my years there were 1) Cubs on local AM radio (pre cell network streaming) so I could listen to them on a run, and 2) being able to go see the I-cubs whenever I wanted. Was at a game there on July 4, 2007 & I saw a guy sitting 1 section over, a couple rows up and I thought "that looks like Barack Obama". Turns out it was the whole Obama family... Gotta love IA in a pre-caucus year.

• Mike Wellman 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

Magic # = 7 after Colin Rea labors to 13th win vs. baby Brewers (at expense of Jimmy Nelson) & Memphis loses. No sign of Zobrist. Almora runs hitting streak to 2 games. Jim Adduci = a pro’s pro; guy’s a ball player by trade...

• crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

paul dejong (STL) took out the M in  the "BIG MAC LAND" sign @STL with a big HR...lights went out on the letter and everything.  epic-ish.

• crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

i know bote will be back in a couple weeks, but dude has been hitting damn well since mid-july after having a big june/july slump.

• Eric S 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

David Bote sent down to Iowa today prior to Cishek’s activation off the IL tomorrow — nice of the Cubs do their part to help the I-Cubs down the stretch

• Cubster 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

And the Brewers are being no hit by Hudson thru 6.

• crunch 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

never really considered how that might be cool for people used to seeing those midwest fields as an everyday occurance.  in the south-east US you rarely see the vastly massive acerage of farm-against-farm-against-farm-etc...

also, i spent a good amount of time out in corn fields in ames, iowa in my last job.  everyone wanted to go work the research fields in hawaii, but we always ended up in iowa.

• Sonicwind75 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Field of Dreams game.  I grew up on a farm in middle of nowhere Iowa and my brother and I spent a lot of time trying to hit baseballs into a corn field.  I'm seriously considering coming back next summer from Texas to go to that game if prices aren't super stupid expensive.  Added bonus, I won't have to listen to A-Rod and Mendoza ignorantly discussing corn and no, you don't eat field corn like you would sweet corn.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 8 hours ago (view)

That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.

• crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.

...and he closes it out with a K.  neat.

this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.

• crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.

homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.

• crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

welcome back kimbrel.

1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.

• crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.