The Incredible Shrinking Lead

Down five games in ten days and plunging like a stock market correction, the I-Cub divisional lead that’s been in double digits much of the summer has been cut to five as the PCL regular season enters its final week. Granted, it still sits at five with only eight games remaining, but the last four are versus the onrushing Memphis Redbirds, winners of nine of their last ten (including a series sweep of Iowa), here in Des Moines, culminating with the season finale on Labor Day. The playoff berth that once seemed a fait accompli now hangs in the balance of the last two series.

Over the weekend, the I-Cubs hosted Nashville, featuring a roster supposedly fortified by reinforcements from Chicago. Friday night, for instance, the first four hitters in the lineup were Messrs. Almora, Bote, Zobrist and Descalso. Zobrist, in particular, was very warmly welcomed by big crowds on Friday and Saturday. But the game-action highlight of the weekend turned out to be Colin Rea’s 14th win (against only three losses) which ties the franchise season record. He’ll get a shot to break it on the road this week in Okie City. Still, the general organizational trends right now are that Cardinals can’t lose and Cubs are sputtering.

I read where the C-Cubs are tentatively planning to have Contreras use I-Cub playoff games as a rehab stint. But you know what often happens to the best-laid plans of mice, men and even Theo Epstein.

Baseball seasons are long. Not long enough, though, more often than not, lest anyone’s forgotten.

Comments

Get it down I Cubs.

STL up by 8 after 2 innings...sigh.

The Cubs are probably just going to have to try and catch the Cardinals when they play seven games against them over the last ten days of September, otherwise just try and stay ahead of the three teams closest to them in the race for the 2nd Wild Card slot. Taking at least two out of three from the Mets starting tomorrow would be a good start.

Considering the last series is in St Louis, I seriously doubt we’re going to catch them then. If anything, the Cubs would need an untouchable lead going into that series.

As much as I want to see the Cubs celebrate winning the division against the Cards in St. Louis, reason tells me you are probably right. Also, I dread this team having to win a Wild Card game. I don't even know who you would want pitching that game at this point.

Not sure it much matters if the game is anywhere but Wrigley, unfortunately.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: Austin Riley is actually a third-baseman but he had to play LF for the Braves in 2019 because he was blocked by Josh Donaldson, and Cristian Pache is considered to be the best defensive centerfielder in the minors and his bat has improved enough over the past year or two to where he is now rated in or just outside the top ten overall prospects in MLB.

So a package that includes Riley and Pache and one of the Braves young MLB or MLB-ready SP would probably be more than enough to get the Cubs to bite.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 2 hours ago (view)

Max Fried or Bryse Wilson

• crunch 2 days 3 hours ago (view)

t.skaggs story keeps getting deeper.

allegations the team knew about skagg's drug abuse (also his family).  teams are required to report this to MLB.

• Charlie 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

Except for the headline, the linked post reads more like a trade hypothetical than a trade rumor. I like the idea of looking at this package as a discussion point for expected return for Bryant. I would say it feels a little light to me. It's deep, with two decent outfield prospects with upside and two OK pitching prospects. But Riley doesn't help the team solve the CF problem right now, so he's either redundant to Bote or sort of a Schwarber replacement. Muller's inflated BB% at AA this year worries me a bit too.

• Cubster 2 days 12 hours ago (view)

I might have missed something and it's been talked about regarding a KB trade rumor from about 10-9-19.

Braves receive: 3B Kris Bryant

• crunch 4 days 1 hour ago (view)

they get 3 guys and the cubs get 1 guy.  sounds like a slam dunk for the angels.  pencil trout in the cubs lineup.  he's got upside.

• Jackstraw 4 days 4 hours ago (view)

I'd hate to part with both Kemp and Chatwood, but if it will bring that Trout guy back, we could even throw in Almora.

• crunch 4 days 7 hours ago (view)

the ricketts got a brazillian dollar tax break...they need to trickle that down and flex on the entire league.

we gonna get grandal, rendon, castellanos, g.cole, strasburg, ryu, a.chapman...maybe sign bumgarner and odorizzi to work the pen.

• Arizona Phil 4 days 7 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: If the Cubs trade Quintana and his new club pays 100% of his 2020 salary his new club assumes 100% of his salary AAV liability, but if the Cubs agree to pay a portion of Quintana's 2020 salary as part of the trade, whatever portion of Quintana's 2020 salary that is paid by the Cubs would count against the Cubs 2020 AAV.

• Charlie 4 days 8 hours ago (view)

PHIL: Thanks for that Boston context--I hadn't realized the trend there. If the Cubs did decide to pick up Quintana's option and then trade him (assuming the Cubs would not agree to pay part of the contract as part of the trade), do they have to do that by a certain date in order for Quintana's contract not to count against them for the CBT? I haven't been able to find any dates attached to the CBT in a quick internet search.

• Arizona Phil 4 days 9 hours ago (view)

My presumption in the Cubs declining Jose Quintana's 2020 club option as well as declining the club options on the veteran relievers who have one and non-tendering Addison Russell (and this also applies to Joe Maddon not returning as manager in 2020) is that after the monumental late-September collapse of 2019 on the heels of the 2018 Game #163 and Wild Card game defeats Ricketts will no longer accept the Cubs payroll going over the CBT threshold ($208M AAV in 2020) or extending a manager making $5M a year.

• crunch 4 days 14 hours ago (view)

i actually like ATL the team...the fans and the 3+ hours of tommy hawk chawpin' non-stop is beyond annoying before even getting into how messed up it is they're still doing that in 2019.  it's all they do, just that 1 single thing...for hours...

fans were so upset about not getting foam hatchets pre-game yesterday (that was the club's way to "dial it back") they were busy letting the "PC police" know they're here to chant and chop as loud as they could before the first pitch was even thrown.

it took about 10 runs to shut them up.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 5 days 4 hours ago (view)

Damn. Atlanta was the only team in the NL I was hoping would advance. I don’t know what I was hoping in LA vs WAS series. Cataclysmic event? (Side note, I live in the DC area, what a dreadful group of fans. They deserve nothing good ever.)

• crunch 5 days 6 hours ago (view)

i live in the south.  my personal hell has been ATL fans by a huge amount more than STL (or even CWS) fans.

i've made my decision to sell out my people for personal comfort.

• Hagsag 5 days 7 hours ago (view)

No more reports. I am sick.

• crunch 5 days 7 hours ago (view)

...and m.fried walks j.flaherty (STL's starting pitcher) to make it 5-0

they were highschool teammates, btw.

...and d.fowler gets a 2 RBI double.  7-0, 1 out, men on 2nd/3rd

...and wong makes it 9-0...still only 1 out.

the lack of tommy hawk chawping is it's own music.

10-0 on a passed ball.  pile it on.  see you in 2020 ATL.