Timely Hitting the Rx for Cubs at Sloan

Cole Roederer drilled a line-drive two-out two-run single to CF to put the Cubs on the board in the bottom of the 1st, Alfonso Rivas doubled, singled, and scored, Luis Verdugo doubled, singled, and scored, Nelson Velazquez singled twice, scored a run, and drove-in another, Ethan Hearn singled twice and knocked-in a run, Cam Balego singled twice and scored twice, and Matt Mervis doubled and singled, as the Cubs collected 13 hits and edged the Athletics 5-4 in AZ Instructional League game action Monday afternoon at Sloan Park in Mesa, AZ.

Jonah Bride (two-run HR) and Tyler Soderstrom (solo shot) belted four-baggers for the A's in a losing cause.

The game was called after eight innings of play.

Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Andy Weber, 3B: 0-5 (4-3, 4-3, F-8, K, 6-4 FC)
2a. Cam Balego, C: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, 2 R)
2b. Ethan Hearn, C: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI)
3. Alfonso Rivas, LF: 2-5 (2B, 1B, 6-3, 3-6-3 DP, 4-3 DP, R)
4. Nelson Velazquez, RF: 2-4 (K, 1B, E-9, 1B, R, RBI)
5. Cole Roederer, CF: 1-3 (1B, 4-6 FC, K, BB, 2 RBI, CS)
6. Chase Strumpf, 2B: 0-2 (L-8, F-9, BB, 5-4 SH)
7. Matt Mervis, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 2B, E-6, K)
8. Luis Vazquez, SS: 0-4 (F-9, E-6, K, F-9)
9. Luis Verdugo, DH: 2-4 (K, K, 2B, 1B, R)

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Cory Abbott: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 2/5 GO/AO, 60 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Danis Correa: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Eduarniel Nunez: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP,  3/5 GO/AO, 37 pitches (20 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Matt Mervis: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Cam Balego: 0-1 CS

CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS
CF Cole Roederer - baserunner thrown out 8-5 attempting to advance from 2nd to 3rd after F-8

ATTENDANCE: N/A

WEATHER: Sunny and very breezy with temperatures in the 60's

Arizona
Scoring
Service

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

Comments

Phil, saw Ethan Hearn with a couple of hits today. How has he been trending?

AZBOBBOP: Ethan Hearn showed off his plus-arm by back-picking a runner off 1st base last week. You don't see catchers with the confidence to attempt pick-offs much out here.

He's a strong kid and shows a lot of HR power in BP and it's just a matter of making it game-usable. His hitting (contact and barreling) has improved at instructs, and that's one of the things he needed to improve.

His receiving should improve with experience as well.

He works hard and seems to get along well with everybody and so he should be able to develop a solid catcher - pitcher relationship with the pitching staff no matter what team he's on.

I don't think there is any question that Hearn is one of the Cubs Top 10 prospects at this point in time. He just needs time to develop.

"He's a strong kid and shows a lot of HR power in BP and it's just a matter of making it game-usable."

reggie golden flashblacks...if BP was a game he'd be an all-star.

Unfortunately for the Cubs, all of their Top 10 position-player prospects (M. Amaya, Davis, Hearn, Howard, Made, C. Morel, R. Morel, Quintero, Roederer, and Strumpf -- listed alphabetically) are two or more years away from the big leagues, in most cases more like three or four or even five years away.

Amaya and Strumpf are probably the closest to being MLB-ready (ETA for both is maybe mid-to-late 2022 or more likely 2023), but Amaya is a catcher (who usually require more development time than other positions) who has yet to play above Hi-A, and Strumpf has yet to play above Lo-A, although he was an advanced college hitter with plus-HR power when the Cubs drafted him and so he possibly could move quickly once the minor leagues start playing again (presuming he hits the ground running).

The Cubs have added OF Brennen Davis to their AZIL Active List roster.

Good to see Roederer and Velasquez  providing some production. From what I've followed they haven't been up to much. Granted this season isn't great for development

• azbobbop 17 hours 57 min ago (view)

I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site

• SheffieldCornelia 1 day 29 min ago (view)

I echo this!

• Cubster 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 1 day 18 hours ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 2 days 17 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 2 days 22 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 2 days 23 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 3 days 3 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 3 days 6 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 3 days 9 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 3 days 13 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 3 days 15 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 3 days 17 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.