• Cubster 07/31/2005 - 12:33pm (View in context)
    I wonder if Hendry's feels better dealing with the Pirates than anyone else. Essentially this was DuBois for Lawton

• cubfan 07/31/2005 - 12:33pm (View in context)
    Lawton will be leading off due to decent OBP No he will be clogging up the bases leading off....you forget who his new manager is.

• Scott 07/31/2005 - 12:32pm (View in context)
    Ron Santo says Pittsburgh's Matt Lawton is pretty good lead-off hitter...He has an excellent OBP, runs well and is very good in the field.

• Cubster 07/31/2005 - 12:31pm (View in context)
    WGN confirms Gerut for Lawton Lawton will be leading off due to decent OBP

• cubfan 07/31/2005 - 12:30pm (View in context)
    just announced the trade on WGN

• Michael Cross 07/31/2005 - 12:30pm (View in context)
    ESPN tv just showed the trade as Gerut straight up for Lawton. If that's all we're giving up for him, I suppose it's a pretty decent trade.

• tem 07/31/2005 - 12:30pm (View in context)
    Thanks Galt, wasn't sure if he was signed through next year. BBTN says that it is gerut that was traded.

• vorare 07/31/2005 - 12:29pm (View in context)
    I think Lawton's contract is something like 1 year @ 7.5mm.

• Ron Galt 07/31/2005 - 12:29pm (View in context)
    Lawton's in the final year of a 4 year/27 million deal. I couldn't find exact details, but it isn't much. I don't have the game on, but the deal has yet to pop up in the ESPN wire or on Google News.

• cubfan 07/31/2005 - 12:28pm (View in context)
    Gotta Love Ryno!

• Scott 07/31/2005 - 12:27pm (View in context)
    Ryno is a class act...Maybe he should be considered as a candidate to replace Dusty as the Cubs Manager...;-)

• Mike 07/31/2005 - 12:25pm (View in context)
    ESPN just announced that we got Lawton.But no word on for who yet.

• tem 07/31/2005 - 12:25pm (View in context)
    Anyone know the details of lawton's contract?

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 12:24pm (View in context)
    Holly is in the game now.

• Bleeding Blue 07/31/2005 - 12:23pm (View in context)
    Ryno also made a couple other comments that I thought might have been slight jabs at Sammy, like "since when does hitting HRs make it ok to forget the rest of the game" and "in my day when a player came to spring training 20 pounds heavier they were considered out of shape"

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 12:19pm (View in context)
    I don't know. They were just talking about ESPN. Olney said earlier it was for Gerut but he is still in the game.

• Ron Galt 07/31/2005 - 12:19pm (View in context)
    A fine rental, assuming Gerut is the extent of the price. Murton should get platoon starts: 2002-2004, Lawton vs... RHP: 273/366/438 LHP: 219/318/363 Also intriguing: Day (390 AB): 249/354/464 Night (990 AB): 260/352/395

• Sags 07/31/2005 - 12:17pm (View in context)
    Ryno: I didn't go looking for the red light on the camera after hitting a home run (paraphrased.) Slight jab at Sammy, I'm guessing. Ryno had a lot to say, surprisingly.

• Mark 07/31/2005 - 12:15pm (View in context)
    Anyone know who we gave up. I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised as long as we didn't give-up the farm.

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 12:12pm (View in context)
    Lawton is a Cub.

• BillT 07/31/2005 - 12:12pm (View in context)
    Steve Phillips needs to lay off the tanning...

• Green Lantern 07/31/2005 - 12:11pm (View in context)
    um, not gonna talk about this game, other than i thought maddux was overpaid from the second he was signed by the cubs... but RYNO: "and for what it's worth, Ron Santo just gained another vote from the Veteran's Committee" great quote, huge ovation from the cubs fans there....best part of my day. go ryno. i grew up with you as my cubs idol.

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 12:08pm (View in context)
    Farnsy is a brave for Roman Colon and Zach Minor

• BillT 07/31/2005 - 12:07pm (View in context)
    oooh, Farns to Braves.

• BillT 07/31/2005 - 12:05pm (View in context)
    So far itis just Ron "I've sucked every year of my career before this" Villone and... Buddy Groom has been traded from the Yankees to the Diamondbacks, ESPN reports. It can't be for John Patterson. Expect it to be for a PTBN. Jul. 31 - 3:58 pm et Mr. DFA. ...but wait... ESPN's Buster Olney reports that Matt Lawton could go from the Pirates to the Cubs in exchange for Jody Gerut. The Pirates hoped to do better than that for Lawton. Jul. 31 - 4:02 pm et Sounds good to me, if that's all.

• Bleeding Blue 07/31/2005 - 12:05pm (View in context)
    Anyone else watching Ryno? I'm really enjoying the reminder of why he's the best player I've ever seen wear a Cub uniform. Simply a class act who really knows what makes baseball such a great game.

• vorare 07/31/2005 - 12:02pm (View in context)
    Gerut to the Pirates for Lawton.

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 11:58am (View in context)
    Ron Villone is the biggest name to get traded? Maybe the should move the deadline back a week.

• BillT 07/31/2005 - 11:56am (View in context)
    "According to FSN Northwest, the Marlins have acquired Ron Villone from the Mariners for Yorman Bazardo and Mike Flannery. Jul. 31 - 3:52 pm et" Nothing goin' on.

• Scott 07/31/2005 - 11:53am (View in context)
    Remlinger loads the bases with walks and then gives up a GRAND SLAM (just when we couldn't afford it)...What a game.

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 11:48am (View in context)
    How about this trade Maddux to the Yanks for a 26 year old in AA.

• cubfan 07/31/2005 - 11:39am (View in context)
    Our bullpen will continue to get a workout until this team can put a good solid lead on the board. The offense is pathetic...really.

• Scott 07/31/2005 - 11:36am (View in context)
    The Multi-Million Dollar Maddux is giving up MANY More hits than the Rookie Rich Hill did yesterday...This is not good...Lets hope we can turn things around...Our Bullpen is going to get quite a work out this afternoon.

• mannytrillo 07/31/2005 - 11:27am (View in context)
    Scott, no complaints by me about tring Murton at #1 and CF.

• 4thandinches 07/31/2005 - 11:26am (View in context)
    At this point, almost ANYBODY would look better at the helm than Dusty. Speier, Brenly; and there's someone the Cubs interviewed at the time Dusty was hired... I'm not sure, but I think his name was Fredi Gonzalez or something like that... (Arizona Phil probably knows who he is!).. Hell, I'd be willing to give HIM a shot! IMHO, the next Cubs manager would have to go a long way to be considered WORSE than Dusty. Here's ONE rumor I pray comes TRUE!

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 11:21am (View in context)
    Stark is reporting that Soriano is not getting traded.

• Brian (Vegas) 07/31/2005 - 11:16am (View in context)
    I don't even know what to say about this game. I'm signing off, turning off the game, and going to enjoy the rest of the day.

• Scott 07/31/2005 - 11:06am (View in context)
    Hairston is in a BIG hitting slump right now...what IF Dusty trades him out and puts Murton in at the top of the line-up...? Who is more likely to get on base...? What do we have to lose ?

• big john stud 07/31/2005 - 10:57am (View in context)
    "We" need a real everyday manager as well. Proposed trade: Dusty to the Dodgers for one of their grounds-keepers.

• Rob G. 07/31/2005 - 10:56am (View in context)
    looked through the lineups of the teams currently playing... no one is sitting or has been replaced that I would consider out of the ordinary Wilkerson is sitting for the Nationals and Castillo for the Marlins but I'm sure it's just a day off for both of them. Alou is sitting for the Giants, I'm sure the same reasoning. This is a horribly boring trade deadline.

• mannytrillo 07/31/2005 - 10:51am (View in context)
    Hairston is in a bad slump right now. Since taking over for Cpat in CF on July 8, he is: 20-79, 9 runs, 5 BB/HBP (.253 avg and .301 OBP) God do we need a real everyday leadoff hitter...

• Rob G. 07/31/2005 - 10:48am (View in context)
    from will carroll: "What deals will happen today? Mark Redman is expected to head to the Marlins, Matt Lawton to the Red Sox or Cardinals, and the Mariners will continue to flip guys like Ron Villone, Eddie Guardado and, perhaps, Jamie Moyer." I wouldn't mind flipping Guardado are way and getting in on Lawton.

• Tom C 07/31/2005 - 10:46am (View in context)
    Perez 7th and Barrett 8th? In Dusty we Rusty.

• chifan3887 07/31/2005 - 10:41am (View in context)
    Rob, Levine had a report about that Padre trade this morning and said it was unlikely. On the Twins trade it could be C-pat going there so you never know.

• Erik Newton 07/31/2005 - 10:39am (View in context)
    Hairston and Lee groundout--Walker lines out. This is basically what you'd expect from Webb. Does anyone know what Berny's numbers are off Webb? I get a sense with his swing he may have some of the homerun success that Webb's given up this year.

• Rob G. 07/31/2005 - 10:36am (View in context)
    at northsidebaseball.com. they said the Score had a rumor that Hairston was going to the Padres for Dave Roberts and that Soriano was coming to the Cubs for Rich HIll and a PTBNL via the Twins (Twins trade for Soriano and then flip him to us). Since Hairston's in the lineup, I doubt that.. Sounds like the Score making stuff up...

• Bleeding Blue 07/31/2005 - 10:25am (View in context)
    I really wonder at times how Dusty's defenders can post their defenses of Dusty's decisions with a straight face. Dusty made a double switch that moved the pitchers spot UP in the order. It takes a special kind of stupid to change your lineup so the pitcher bats sooner. No, its not why they lost, but its the kind of idoicy that makes it more difficult to win a ballgame - which to me is unacceptable from a manager. Murton was treated like any OF in a double switch. Stop treating this like Dusty is being punitive with the changes with Murton. Really? Are you so sure? I've only seen Dusty make the backass double-switch (making a change to have the pitcher bat sooner) with TWO players: Murton and Dubois. So why is it that for every veteran outfielder, Dusty is smart enough to remember that the point of the double switch is to the pitchers spot down in the order, but when its a rookie involved he suddenly forgets the entire purpose of the double switch? The only possible explaination I can think of is that Dusty's distrust of rookie players clouds his judgement so badly that he forgets even the simple basics of NL baseball. Unless Dusty's Defenders have a better explaination, cause if so, I'd like to hear it.

• Rob G. 07/31/2005 - 10:23am (View in context)
    conspiracy theory: The LA Times is owned by the Tribune. Is the propaganda machine beginning to warm-up? Not to mention why would they even ask him about it in the leadoff man? Was it just a general press conference or was he Bob or Len's guest? Cause if it was the latter, that's a bit odd. I can't imagine Depodesta hiring him anyway, Baker and Tracy are practically the same manager. I think Dusty starts next year as the Cubs manager, but if the Cubs go through anything resembling what happened over the last 2 years, even with injuries, I can see him getting fired.

• Scott 07/31/2005 - 10:21am (View in context)
    AZ PHIL: Who would you like to Manage the Cubs IF Dusty makes a move to Los Angeles...?

• Patrick 07/31/2005 - 10:17am (View in context)
    Lineups Hairston, CF Walker, 2B Lee, 1B Burnitz, RF Ramirez, 3B Gerut, LF Perez, SS Barrett, C Maddux, P Counsell, 2B Tracy, RF Gonzalez, LF Clark, 1B Glaus, 3B Green, CF Clayton, SS Snyder, C Webb, P

Pages