Hannemann Back in Action at Extended Spring Training
Andruw Monasterio drilled a two-run home run and a single, walked, and stole two bases, and Yapson Gomez and two relievers combined to hurl a three-hit shutout, as the Eugene Emeralds blanked the Mesa Cubs 7-0 in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Wednesday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was extended an extra half-inning so that all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw in the game could get their work.
Jacob Hannemann (on AA Tennessee 7-day DL - knee injury) played CF for Mesa and batted five times (once in each of the first five innings), collecting all three Mesa hits (two doubles and a single).
LHP Jose Paulino was notified during the game that he is being moved-up from Extended Spring Training, but he doesn't know if he is going to South Bend or to Myrtle Beach. (Players who started the season on a minor league 7-day DL cannot be reinstated until tomorrow). Paulino threw a "live" BP session on Field #6 last week and looked very good, so it's not surprising that he will be moving up.
And based on how he looked today, I would say Jacob Hannemann probably won't be down here much lomger, either.
Meanwhile, OF Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL - right shoulder bruise) is bunting in the cages and catching fly balls in outfield drills, but he is not hitting or throwing at this point. In "live" BP he's been standing in the box tracking pitches, but he doesn't swing. Hopefully he will be able to do more soon.
INF Chris Dominguez (on AAA Iowa 7-day DL) is taking BP and is fielding grounders at 3B and 1B, but he hasn't played in any games yet. Dominguez hit 282/317/538 with two HR and four doubles in 22 MLB Cactus League Spring Training games, and is projected to play the infield corners (1B-3B) at Iowa in 2017.
The Cubs are trying Kevin Zamudio (2015 IFA - Mexico) at catcher again in pre-game drills (he hasn't caught in a game yet). He was a catcher when he first reported to Mesa last year, but then he was moved to corner infield (1B-3B) after he struggled behind the plate. The 19-year old Zamudio has plus raw power, and so it would be good for his career going forward if he can maybe be a C-1B-3B.
Joe Martarano took pre-game BP again today but did not play in the game, and he is playing 1B in infield practice (one of the reasons Zamudio was moved back to catcher). Martarano was a third-baseman in HS and in his first year in pro ball (2014), but then was moved to 1B in 2015 and he hasn't played 3B since. However, it is expected that he will play both 1B and corner OF in Extended Spring Training (although he hasn't taken any fly balls yet), and if he proves he can handle OF (he is an athletic 6'4 240 with a third-baseman's arm), he conceivably could eventually morph into a "four-corner" player (1B-3B-LF-RF), or at least a 1B-LF-RF if 3B is too much of a problem for him defensively.
Here is the box score from today's game:
X. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 3-5 (1B, F-9, 2B, 2B, 6-3)
NOTE: Hannemann batted 2nd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-2 (L-8, F-7)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 0-2 (K, 3-U)
3. Kwangmin Kwon, DH #1: 0-2 (F-7, K)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (F-8, L-7)
5. Franklin Tineo, C: 0-2 (P-4, 5-3)
6. Samir Lara, RF: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, PO)
7. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
8. Orian Nunez, 3B: 0-1 (5-3)
9. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 0-1 (4-3)
1. Fernando Kelli, RF: 1-3 (K, 5-4-3 DP, 1B, R, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-2 (BB, 1B, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 SB)
3. Kevin Zamudio, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, P-6, K, R)
4. Michael Cruz, 1B: 0-1 (K, BB)
5. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-2 (2B, 3-6 FC, 2 R, SB)
6. Richard Nunez, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B, RBI)
7. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 1-1 (2B, BB, RBI)
8. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-1 (HBP, F-8)
9. Christopher Morel, DH #2: 0-1 (K, BB)
10. Brandon Cummins, CF: 0-2 (F-8, 4-6 FC, R, SB)
1. Manuel Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 41 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Holden Cammack: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Jose Leidenz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (12 strikes)
1. Yapson Gomez: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 0/5 GO/AO, 26 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Elvis Diaz: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/AO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
3. Andin Diaz: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (11 strikes)
MESA ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE ERRORS: 1
C Richard Nunez: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
MESA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Franklin Tineo: 0-5 CS, 1 PB
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Richard Nunez: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's