Happy 4th of July, Cub Fans.

I'm in a cabin in the Great North Woods.
There's wifi at a nearby lodge, but it's kind of a hike.
But the really cool thing is... AM radio at night.
You can hear stations from other states.
Like AM 670.
It's magic.
One time someone explained to me why AM radio works like that, but I can't remember the deets.
Anyway, last night the game FINALLY came in.
Kinda scratchy and broken up, but... THERE'S PAT HUGHES!
I got to hear the bottom of the 9th.
Thus the gif.
Happy 4th, everyone.

And remember, it HAS to get better.
Now go back to Charlie's post, because I stepped on it (SORRY)!

Comments

Anywhere near Grand Marais, MN? I-Cubs are 31-14 away from home & 18-23 @ Principal Park. Is there a better road record in all of baseball this summer? Sure beats the sheet outta the C-Cub roadshow...

Well done sir!!! Happy Fourth to all

Happy 4th to you all.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 16 min ago (view)

Down three in WC with 6 to play, if the answer isn’t “everyone” you’re doing it wrong.

• Hagsag 4 hours 57 min ago (view)

Do you know who was available to pitch in relief?

• crunch 5 hours 46 min ago (view)

cubs lose their 6th in a row, 5 in a row by 1 run.

MIL won and has a 4 game lead for the 2nd WC slot.

xrays negative on bryant's ankle.

• Charlie 5 hours 53 min ago (view)

I liked the idea if not the result.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 4 min ago (view)

Another Joe Maddon baffling decision. I wonder if Wittenmyer will say it was Theos fault.

Edit: to stem the tide, he goes with Pedro Strop. Gotta give Pedro the chance to work his way back into postseason favor!

• Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 7 min ago (view)

Even if we allow Hendricks to be called the ace, Lester is a 4. The others are 5s. That’s not a rotation that leads anyone to the postseason.

• crunch 6 hours 10 min ago (view)

...and the cardinals have the lead.

sigh.

• crunch 6 hours 16 min ago (view)

why is darvish still pitching...

• crunch 6 hours 17 min ago (view)

you'd assume they have to bring in an ace of some sorts because none of those 6 are any better than a 2-3 slot rotation type as we know them now.

well, to be fair hendricks is an ace on paper, but even if he keeps doing what he's doing for another decade i dunno if i would ever feel comfortable calling the dude throwing 86mph an ace.  he's earned ace status, though.  meh, semantics...and prejustice against soft tossers...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 40 min ago (view)

We’d be in deep, deep trouble if that’s the starting 5 next March. I’d think only one of those 3 start the year in the rotation. Trades or maybe FA signings will fill out rotation.

• crunch 6 hours 40 min ago (view)

that would make the offseason interesting if he did.

no ham, no darvish, lester pitching like a middle/end rotation guy...

Q and hendricks locked in with lester...graveman + a.mills + chatwood could compete to slot in, but it's highly unlikely they're the full answer for both slots...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 7 hours 19 min ago (view)

Anybody else getting the feeling Yu might opt out?

Words I’d never thought I’d say. I’m even more surprised that I’d rather he not opt out!

• crunch 7 hours 59 min ago (view)

...and k.bryant screws his leg/knee/ankle reaching trying to beat out a single...which he didn't.

he's being helped off the field.  neat.

i.happ playing 3rd because whatever.

• crunch 8 hours 34 min ago (view)

cards have caught one hell of a case of cubbery in the bottom 1st.

3 miscues, 1 cubs run.

• Charlie 10 hours 2 min ago (view)

What a millstone Yelich must have been!

• Dolorous Jon Lester 14 hours 50 min ago (view)

I think he made a few good points but was misguided in laying next to no blame on Maddon. He’s made many questionable decisions and plenty of those decisions have cost the team games.

Gordo was correct in laying blame on ownership. They hamstrung the front office. I have a hard time believing all they would have added was Descalso and Brach if they could have. Every time they had more money become available they added.