If 2020 were a baseball player, it would be Steve Garvey.

You know, the Padres have always sort of held a special place in my baseball heart.
They're that chunk of burnt fat off an Italian beef I got at some bar on Lincoln that stuck in my artery since I watched that Garvey homer in 1984.
You'd think it might be getting better after all these years, but now with this Yu Darvish trade to Garvey's old team to clear some money?

Tums won't help.

We knew change was coming, but whatever, man.
2020 sucks.

Comments

Damn creepy, vile and loathsome.  In other words: Nice work!

Thanks Eric. After I put it up I thought.. damn I'm old. I wonder if people even remember back that far. I still think about that day. Uggh. Sorry.

Then again, I still hate the Mets due to 1969. Makes me an old fart, I guess.

• Arizona Phil 6 hours 31 min ago (view)

You can pretty much figure out from my AZIL game reports who the Cubs will likely target if they trade Kyle Hendricks to the Angels during the off-season (which I believe is a distinct possibility).

• crunch 9 hours 51 min ago (view)

"On Wednesday, and again on Friday, manager Joe Maddon said the Angels needed to land two front-line starters or risk perpetual mediocrity. On Saturday, Mike Trout said the Angels had “a lot of money to spend” and the offseason was “going to be big.”"

$180.3m payroll and the star player + manager softly demanding more talent.

wait.  you can do that?

hey d.ross and...umm...hold up...do you have to have a star player to make this kind of demand?  sigh.

• tim815 1 day 7 hours ago (view)

Exactly. Teams realized that under-playing the rest of the season, and assessing what's currently on-hand, works. At least, better than pickung three or four spots lower on the draft board with less spending space.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

It required a good amount of luck, and the other hard part is like a third of the league are tanking now too. Last time it was basically us and Houston.

• crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)

this team is very hard to watch.  i can't take this for 1-2 more years.  i hope the 2022 plan is at least hybrid-competitive (team built to compete, but trade-ready if failing mid-season).

rebuilding on total destruction for a slew of 1st round picks for years is/was lame even if those 1st round picks was pretty much all that worked for the cubs in the theo-era drafts.

• K Dub 2 days 8 hours ago (view)

PHIL: Thanks for the update on Devers. Are you able to give us some more context (velocity, pitch mix, etc)? Also, was Drew Gray included in the group you compared Devers to when you said Devers was "by far" the ACL Cubs best pitching prospect? I ask because I know Gray only pitched 4 innings this season.

Thanks!

• crunch 2 days 9 hours ago (view)

cards 15 wins a row...franchise record

• Hagsag 2 days 21 hours ago (view)

The Cubs have no starting pitching right now with Carl in a funk.

• Eric S 3 days 3 hours ago (view)

Cubs were Nootbaar'ed to the tune of 12-4 in Game 2

• Cubster 3 days 4 hours ago (view)

With a Doubleheader loss, the Cubs are back on track for a better draft choice. Right now at 67 wins they pick #7, just ahead of KC and Minnesota who have 68-69 wins.

• crunch 3 days 6 hours ago (view)

the shit sandwich that is zach davies is a 6 foot party sub.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 6 hours ago (view)

I am celebrating the day he signs with another team this offseason. I didn't know I could hate him more than I did when he was in Milwaukee but here we are!

• crunch 3 days 6 hours ago (view)

wisdom can hit some bombs when he does connect..wow.

also davies still sucks.

• tim815 3 days 7 hours ago (view)

McAvene is struggling against hitters in Instructs. He's not ready for the AZ Fall League. I'd expect to see Juan Gamez otr Aneuris Rosario first. Vazquez, I agree with, entirely.

• bradsbeard 3 days 9 hours ago (view)

On the position player side, Amaya if he's healthy. Chase Strumpf makes a lot of sense (missed some time early and late, missed all of last year). Nelson Velazquez maybe as a Rule 5 guy if they're on the fence. Cam Balego and Andy Weber are two other candidates if healthy. Luis Vazquez could also use more upper level PAs and would make sense.

Lots of potential pitchers. Ideally Marquez but not sure they'll let him pitch this year. McAvene is probably another one. Would be awesome if Kohl Franklin could participate.

• First.Pitch.120 3 days 10 hours ago (view)

Thanks!