LaStella Shows Desire to Play at Riverview Park
Jenner Emeterio doubled twice, scored two runs, and drove-in another, and Tyler Alamo belted a solo home run, leading the Cubs to a 5-2 victory over the Rockies on Field #5, and Luis Castro reached base three times (a single, a double, and an HBP), stole a base, and scored three runs, as the Rockies rallied for three runs in the 8th and two in the 9th to edge the Cubs 8-7 on Field #6, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Terry McClure belted a solo HR in the Rockies loss on Field #5, and Roberto Caro smacked an RBI double, singled twice, stole a base, and scored two runs in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #6.
Tommy LaStella (on Cubs MLB 15-day DL - rib cage inflammation) returned to the field for the first time in almost five weeks and saw action in the game on Field #6, playing 3rd base for four innings and then 2nd base for two innings. He batted four times (once in each of the first four innings) and had quite a day, driving-in three runs with two doubles, an RBI single, and a sacrifice fly, while also scoring two runs, helping the Cubs take a 7-1 lead through three innings.
19-year old RHP Dylan Cease (2014 TJS) made his first Cactus League EXST game appearance after pitching in several "sim" games over the past month, throwing 16 pitches in the top of the 1st inning in the game on Field #5. He retired two (a 1-3 comebacker and a strikeout looking) and hit one batter before being relieved (he was under a strict pitch count).
Cease was the Cubs 6th round draft pick out of Milton HS - Milton, Ga in 2014, and the Cubs selected him despite knowing that he would need a UCL elbow ligament transplant ("Tommy John surgery"). Considered one of the top high school arms in the 2014 draft class and a likely 1st round pick prior to his elbow issues, he received a $1.5M signing bonus (equivalent to "first round money") and then had the TJS last July 22nd. He has made a rapid recovery, and barring a setback, he will likely be a rotation starter for the AZL Cubs when the Arizona League season begins play next month.
RHRP Daniel Bard and LHRP Daniel Schlereth each threw an inning in the game on Field #6. Schlereth had an easy eleven-pitch inning (K, 6-3, 1B, 6-4 FC), but Bard allowed two runs on two hits, an HBP, and a WP, plus a two-base throwing error on an attempted pick-off in his inning (20 pitches - only 10 strikes). Bard is now throwing mostly side-arm, and his one-time upper 90's velocity now sits at 91-92, occasionally touching 93.
Speaking of throwing sidearm, RHRP Corbin Hoffner has gone to an extreme sidearm delivery (it's almost "submarine"), and while he has struggled to command his pitches in games with his new delivery, he had a 1-2-3 9th in the game on Field #5, picking up the save with two strikeouts and an F-7.
Prior to the Cactus League doubleheader, Erling Moreno (2014 TJS), Trey Masek (2014 shoulder surgery), and Anthony Carter (on AAA Iowa 7-day DL) pitched in a three-inning "sim" game on Field #3. Moreno and Masek threw two innings each, and Carter threw one.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two Cactus League EXST games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-2 (K, 2B, BB, RBI, CS)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-3 (P-3, 5-3, 3-U)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-3 (1B, L-9, 5-3)
4. Roney Alcala, DH #1: 0-3 (K, 3-U, 6-3)
5. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 2-3 (1B, HR, 3-U, R, RBI)
6. Yohan Matos, C: 0-3 (5-4 FC, F-7, K)
7. Carlos Sepulveda, SS: 1-2 (4-3 DP, 1B, BB, R)
8. Jenner Emeterio, RF: 2-3 (2B, 2B, 4-3, 2 R, RBI)
9. Danny Gutierrez, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-7 SF, K, R, RBI)
10. Alberto Mineo, DH #2: 0-1 (F-9 SF, 3-1, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1/0 GO/FO, 16 pitches (9 strikes)
2. Austyn Willis: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 4/2 GO/FO, 46 pitches (28 strikes)
3. Greyfer Eregua: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/FO, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Frandy de la Rosa; E-4 (missed catch on line drive allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Danny Gutierrez: E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to take 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yohan Matos: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Tommy LaStella, 3B-2B: 3-3 (2B, F-8 SF, 1B, 2B, R, 3 RBI)
NOTE: LaStella batted third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1. Robert Garcia, LF: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, 4-3, R)
2. Roberto Caro, CF: 3-3 (1B, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-8, 2 RBI)
4. Bryant Flete, 2B-3B: 0-2 (L-3, F-8, BB)
5. Tyler Pearson, C: 1-3 (2B, P-3, 6-4-3 DP, R)
6. Ricardo Marcano, DH #1: 1-3 (6-3, F-8, 1B)
7. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 6-3)
8. Ho-Young Son, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, L-9 DP, R, SB)
9. Carlos Jimenez, DH-2B: 1-2 (3B, P-3, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Adbert Alzolay: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/3 GO/FO, 47 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Daniel Bard: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 20 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Daniel Schlereth: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Dillon Maples: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (12 strikes)
5. John Michael Knighton: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 3
1. P Daniel Bard E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. P Dillon Maples: E-1 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
3. 1B Jose Paniagua E-3 (dropped pop infield fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Pearson: 0-5 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
ATTENDANCE : 6