Lets start off the 2013 season with...a cartoon.

It's 2013.
If you're a Cub Fan and you don't have a sense of humor, you're in the wrong line of work.

GO CUBS!!!

Comments

If I didn't have a sense of humor after all this time watching this team, I'd be dead by now. Nice toon, as usual.

That's pretty funny Tim! I don't know why, but this one remind's me a bit of Lynda Berry's earlier "Ernie Pook's Comeeks" from the early 90's.

Well, maybe it's because Lynda is a genius?
So I'll take that as a pretty big compliment.
Thanks E-Man.

"Genius" is a bit of a stretch. But I'll go with damn creative and pithy.

Do they still play the blues in Chicago...

I'm concerned about the man in the back left. He appears to be consumptive. If the Cubs are the cause, that could be a big-time law suit.

And if the Cubs get the Wrigley Field renovations done according to plan, their own estimates at one point last year suggested at least $95 million of additional annual revenue, according to a team source. Even the financing of the renovations, according to internal club documents, will result in tens of millions of dollars in Stadium Investment Credit against their revenue-sharing bill through MLB. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/... Also some interesting bits on the financing the Rickett's used to purchase the team.

40 degrees in Pittsburgh at the moment, rain/snow mix...

looks like rain will pass though.

per Bruce Miles...Barney to 15 day DL. Alberto Gonzalez added to roster, including 40 man. Rob Whitenack DFA. The Cubbery of it is this may have been Junior Lake's opportunity and I'd still rather see Logan Watkins for 2 weeks. Not sure if someone will take a flyer on RW given his poor spring albeit he's still in recovery mode from TJ surgery. My guess is he'll stay with the organIzaton.

I agree, it's a perplexing decision. Even setting aside the exposure of Whitenack, how is Gonzalez a better choice than Lake or Watkins? At least we're flexible, aka able to lose in multiple configurations.

Lake is hurt (and doesn't play 2B) and Watkins hasn't had an AB above AA? He wasn't go to get the starts, so what's the point to sit on the bench?

Indeed, cracked rib, IIRC. Won't be able to do much at the plate with that.

Ok. So no one can start without playing above AA? I'd rather see a decent prospect get some time. Watkins hit well at AA last year, and it's not like they have $$$ invested in him. Lillibridge is a nice reserve. I just prefer to see someone with a shot at being a decent player get the time. I know, I know...got to get the 500 at bats in AAA. I get it. Lol.

well no one should start without some AAA AB's unless they're really good, which Watkins isn't.

Where's this Watkins love coming from?  Other than his ability to take a walk, he seems really uninteresting. Did he even last in spring camp that long?

Well...he seems to be a decent fielder...has a little more pop and speed, and takes more walks compared to darwin barney. (shrug) I guess I'd rather see that than Gonzalez, or even 3 weeks of Lillibridge.

It's more like "compared to two weeks of a 30-year-old replacement-level MLB retread whose legitimate role on this team is to be a utility reserve." I'd rather let Watkins have the two-week lesson to take back to Iowa and work on. As for the status of Watkins as a prospect, not really, but he's the guy who if he ends up being in the right place at the right time can make a tidy little career out of it. There's more long-term value to the org there than with Lillibridge, which Theo Corp knows, which is why I don't get this. It must be what you're saying Rob, that the jump would be too much for him at this point. And I think that's fair. But given the temporary nature of the situation re Barney, I still would've liked to see it.

I'm not sure of the long term value of watching Watkins get overwhelmed by major league pitching is or sitting on the bench. Could he do as poorly as Lillibridge? Absolutely!!!

Lillibridge and Gonzalez at least worked with Castro a little on the double play over camp (I presume). If there was a guy that played some AAA last year and was at least a C-level prospect, I'd be all for it, but no reason to throw guys up there that are probably not going to succeed. Watkins hardly set AA on fire last year, although he's certainly showing improvement.

Hey..Gonzalez career line is .242/.279/.317. When you can add a guy like that, you...er...

The Whitenack thing is a headscratcher from what everything AZ PHIL has told us. He was one of, if not the only Cub young pitcher that had starter potential a couple years ago and got sidelined with the TJS. So since I have not seen him at all, I'm wondering if his rehab just showed no promise? I don't get it...

I can't imagine anyone will use up a 40-man spot on Whitenack...I'm sure he'll be a Cub next week.

• crunch 1 hour 55 min ago (view)

he -really- needs to cue into this is a cubs broadcast and not a national/neutral broadcast.

dude...don't get excited about marlins 3-run homers.

• crunch 3 hours 22 min ago (view)

lot of people wanted him when len left.  he's got a long game calling history, but not too much for baseball.  he did host "baseball tonight" for ESPN for a quite a while, so the game isn't a mystery to him.

i find him a bit boring/dry.  some people like that he has that oldschool "announcer voice" thing going on.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 41 min ago (view)

He's uhhh.. not very good at it. Glad he wasn't the hire for the main role.

• crunch 3 hours 54 min ago (view)

wow...chris myers calling the cubs game for some reason (boog out for the MIA series).

he is a marquee talent, but he's not been used to call a game as far as i know.

also, zach davies looks like a kid in pajamas in those dark blue "wrigleyville" uniforms.

• crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

t.williams threw a 25 pitch pen thursday

• crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

tonight's game (thursday) is mlb.tv free game, btw.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

The Cubs have optioned RHP Robert Stock back to AAA Iowa, and recalled LHP Brad Wieck.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

The Cubs have purchased the contract of RHSP Mike Hauschild (ex-TOR) from Lexington (Atlantic League) and he has been asigned to AAA Iowa.

The Cubs are clearly beating the bushes of indepenent league baseball. Hauschild is the sixth player acquired by the Cubs from independent league teams in the last month (Jose Almonte, Tyler Ladendorf, Tim Susnara, Matt Warkentin, and Jarod Wright are the other five).

• crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

(c) hendricks gives up at least 60 homers in the regular season

seriously, though...wisdom has "slowed down" the past 10 days or so, but he still managed a couple homers.  he's got a damn good shot at 20+ even if bote+duffy come back to steal a little time from him.

• Charlie 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

This Mets series is going poorly, so... off-topic question. Which of these outcomes do you currently think is more likely in 2021: (a) Javy hits at least 40 homeruns in the regular season, (b) Patrick Wisdom hits at least 20 homeruns in the regular season.

• crunch 2 days 3 hours ago (view)

wow...and he's done for the night.  that's not good...well, for mets fans.

"right shoulder soreness"

• crunch 2 days 3 hours ago (view)

meanwhile...degrom with 8 Ks through 3 perfect innings.  he's also got a RBI single.

• crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

and d.smith gets HBP.

this is high end next level strategy.  you beat degrom by injuring everyone until they have to forfeit the game.  moneyballs.

• crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

ow...villar got nailed in the ear and the back of the head by a throw from lobaton on a stolen base.

• Arizona Phil 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: You are absolutely right.

Granted there are existing rules prohibiting pitchers from using foreign substances, but you don't change enforcement protocols suddenly in the middle of the season. Pitchers should be given an opportunity to make adjustments during the course of Spring Training before any new enforcement policy is implememted.

This can and should be addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Not now.

• Charlie 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

That was definitely my position prior to this year. But I am starting to buy into the claim that almost all pitchers are using something, even if it is rosin and sunscreen in many cases.