Yankees teaching history to the Texas Rangers

(Click on image for full size)

Oh man, that had to hurt.
The Texas Rangers were in the catbird seat, gaining momentum and confidence and spirit and resolve and psyche and then poof, the 8th inning happened.
I'm sure that Cliff Lee will have something to say before long, but I know how this one ends already.

If the Rangers had a 5 run lead and coughed it up in the 8th to lose against ohhh, say Minnesota or Tampa or even the Red Sox you'd go, "Well, they can come back."

But it's the Yankees.

They broke your back in game one.

Did you see Nolan Ryan in the 1st inning?
That was one happy man, maybe already thinking about game 2.

In the 8th, he looked like he ate a bad dog.

Trust me, I'm with you - there's nobody I'd rather see lose than the Yanks.
But it won't happen in the ALCS.
Not now.

• First.Pitch.120 3 hours 16 min ago (view)

Don't forget the awesome taste of RizzO's !!!

• crunch 16 hours 25 min ago (view)

ha.  also, this reminds me that Grand Slam cereal existed in the late 90s.  it was basically Kix with the marshmallows from Lucky Charms (in baseball items shape).  it was actually really good.

• Charlie 18 hours 47 min ago (view)

I just love cereal so much

• bradsbeard 20 hours 12 min ago (view)

Yeah, both of those guys have some versatility. Could make a nice platoon if it ever came to that.

• bradsbeard 20 hours 13 min ago (view)

Rooting for General Mills?

• Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 31 min ago (view)

I like that they're trying Robel and Giambrone all over the diamond.

• Charlie 20 hours 37 min ago (view)

I'll just be here salivating over the possibility of observing a sub-70MPH curve ball. :)

Rooting for Mills in general. Seems like fun as a 5th starter.

• crunch 21 hours 40 min ago (view)

dusty baker + adam greenberg piece...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 44 min ago (view)

Man this Dodger broadcast is garbage.

• Wrigley Rat 22 hours 59 min ago (view)

Love those breakdowns Phil - thank you!

People tweeted about watching the Cubs game live here yesterday: http://yoursports.stream/mlb?v=MTQ5NzY2MDMw Might work for anyone on here who can't seem to get the game today.

• Sonicwind75 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Thanks Phil for these breakdowns. Really helpful.

• crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

i forgot about these types of update posts...thanks for the breakdowns.  they're really useful.

strong agreement on the mess t.olson was throwing.  he didn't even look happy with himself out there.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

I know most of you saw the game or will be seeing the game, but for anyone else who might be interested, here are the Cubs pitchers velo readings from Saturday night's game:

Alec Mills:
    FB: 90-92
    CH: 82-83
    SL: 80-81
    CV: 68
    NOTES: Nice mix of pitches... Mills obviously comes from the "I'm a pitcher not a thrower" school, all of which means command & control matters a lot and he had both tonight... a legit candidate for the Cubs #5 SP slot...

• crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

hell of a 1st game.  even the good and bad mean nothing this early in spring, but it was a nice one.  i'm not worried about rizzo misplaying a couple balls in the first innings, nor do i think bote is on his way to a batting title.  spring is meaningless enough without trying to read into february spring games.  it was a fun watch, though.

my biggest regret is not seeing souza chase down any plays in LF while he was in the game.  that's something i really would like to see this early in spring.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

I also hope they edit it for the season. doesn't list pitcher or hitter or pitches thrown.

• crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

"i'm feeling right at home." - mark grace