Diamondbacks Let Bats Do Their Talking Stick
Andrew Velazquez singled twice, doubled, scored two runs, and drove-in another, Jonathan Griffin doubled twice and knocked-in two runs, and Alex Glenn blasted a three-run home run, to lead a ferocious 20-hit attack as the Diamondbacks crushed the Cubs 17-3 in Arizona Instructional League action Saturday night at the Main Stadium at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick east of Scottsdale.
The game was halted for about 25 minutes with two outs in the top of the 5th after Cubs outfielder Trey Martin was hit in the head with a pitch. Paramedics from the Salt River Fire Department were called by the Diamondbacks team trainer, and the ambulance responded directly to home plate where Martin was laying on his back.
Martin was transported via ambulance to a local hospital (presumably SHC - Osborn) for evaluation. He was conscious when he was loaded into the ambulance.
RHP Dillon Maples got the start for the Cubs and could not find home plate (29 pitches - threw only 11 strikes), walking three and throwing two wild pitches in just one inning of work.
Cuban RHP Carlos Martinez followed Maples to the mound and was rocked for seven runs (all earned) on eight hits in just one inning, and RHP Chad Martin was stung for five more runs (all earned) in his one inning of work later in the game.
The Arizona Instructional League is approximately equivalent to Boise, so it is not too surprising when pitchers who have yet to advance past Rookie ball (AZL Cubs) get pounded.
3B Jesse Hodges made his professional game debut, going 1-2 with a fly out to the warning track to the deepest part of the field (about 415 feet from home plate) in right-center in his first at bat, before lacing a line-drive RBI single to knock-in the Cubs first run of the game in the 5th. The 18-year old Hodges was signed by the Cubs a couple of weeks ago, after starring for the Canadian Junior National Team last month at the World Junior Tournament in South Korea.
Although he was eligible for selection in this past June's MLB First-Year Player Draft, Hodges could be signed after the mid-July deadline because he was not drafted, he had used up his high school ("secondary school" in Canada) eligibility, and he was not currently enrolled in a college. (Hodges had signed an NLI with Grayson JC in Texas, but had not yet enrolled).
Here is the abridged box score from Saturday night’s game at Salt River Fields (Cubs players only)
1a. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, HBP, SB)
1b. Shawon Dunston Jr, PR-CF: 0-1 (6-4 FC)
2. Albert Almora, DH #1: 0-3 (3-1, 5-3, 3-1, BB)
3a. Jorge Soler, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, P-3)
3b. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-1 (K)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (BB, P-6, BB, 4-3)
5a. Tim Saunders, DH #3: 0-2 (F-8, F-8)
5b. David Bote, PH-2B: 0-1 (K, HBP, R)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (BB, F-9, 1-3, BB)
7a. Wilson Contreras, C: 0-1 (F-7, BB, R)
7b. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
8a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (6-4 FC, 6-3, CS)
8b. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-2 (1B, K)
9. Stephen Bruno, 2B-DH: 1-3 (1B, L-3, K)
10. Bijan Rademacher, LF-DH: 0-1 (BB, BB, K, R)
11a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-2 (F-8, 1B, RBI)
11b. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-1 (1B)
1. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 29 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 8 H, 7 R (7 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 39 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Austin Reed: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 35 pitches (18 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
4. Steve Perakslis: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (20 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
5. Chad Martin: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 33 pitches (17 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
6. Nathan Dorris: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 32 pitches (20 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS (1):
SS Marco Hernandez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
2. Justin Marra: 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: (2)
1. RF Yasiel Balaguert threw out runner 9-2 trying to score from second base on line drive single to RF
2. CF Shawon Dunston Jr threw out runner 9-4-2 trying to score from 1st base on double to CF
WEATHER: Calm winds with temperatures in the upper 90’s