Cubs Can't Solve Socratic Problem (Speed)
Socrates Brito rifled a line-drive into the RF corner and then raced around the bases for a two-run inside-the-park home run, and Ben Eckels threw three innings of one-hit ball and combined with four relievers to toss a shutout, as the Diamondbacks blanked the Cubs 2-0 in Arizona Instructional League action this afternoon at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
RHP Starling Peralta got the start for the Cubs and threw 3.2 IP of one-hit shutout ball, and RHP Pierce Johnson followed Peralta and threw 2.2 IP of shutout ball with five strikeouts.
There wasn’t much offense for the Cubs today. Gioskar Amaya singled twice, and Jorge Soler reached base on a walk and on an opposite-field double into the right-centerfield alley.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only)
1. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 2-4 (F-8, 1B, K, 1B, CS)
2. Marco Hernandez, SS: 0-4 (F-7, F-7, F-9, 4-6-3 DP)
3a. Jeimer Candelario, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, F-8)
3b. Justin Marra, C: 1-2 (1B, K)
4. Jorge Soler, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, 4-3, 2B)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-3 (K, 3-U, K)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (6-3, 2B, 5-3)
7. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-2 (4-3, HBP, 4-3)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (K, 6-4-3 DP, P-6)
9. Bijan Rademacher, LF: 0-3 (6-3, K, 1-3)
10a. Lance Rymel, C-DH: 1-2 (4-3, 1B)
10b. David Bote, PH: 0-1 (4-3)
1. Starling Peralta: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 47 pitches (32 strikes), 4/7 GO/FO
2. Pierce Johnson: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 PO, 45 pitches (26 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 17 pitches (12 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Paul Blackburn: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 27 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
P Starling Peralta - E-1 (dropped throw from 1st baseman attempting to complete 3-1 putout allowing batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny, hot, and breezy, with temperatures in the high-90’s
ATTENDANCE: 18 (mostly scouts)
SF loses their 7th in a row (ow).
WAS is now #1 on the heels of the cubs at 7.5 games back.
Even when logically I know I should root for the Cardinals, I cannot. I think it's worse than the Packers thing. I think it's literally the worst thing.
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.