Game 91 Recap: Giants 2, Cubs 3
Don't Call it a Comeback
W-Rich Hill (6-6), Aramis Ramirez's MVP candidacy. L- Correia (1-5), Sutcliffe's Thesaurus. S- Howry (6) Things to take from this game: 1. Starting Pitching Showcase On points, I gave the contest of the starting pitchers to Lincecum - Soriano and Lee both whiffed for strike three on the high heat, very impressive. But both he and Hill pitched great games. It appeared that LouPa might have left Hill in one inning too many, as he gave up an unfortunate run in the 8th (with help from a bad Soriano boot in the outfield), but Hill wound up with the win because... 2. Aramis Ramirez Rules This World With two outs in the bottom of the eighth, Theriot had a broken-bat infield single. Lee singled through a hole on the right side created by the hit-and-run call, and Aramis hit one to the bottom of the left field ivy, scoring the tying and winning runs. 3. A Shout-out to Koyie Hill The dude deserves acknowledgement for his early solo HR, given that he will now lose ABs to the newly aquired Jason Kendall. You go, Koyie. 4. No Bonds Needing to score a run in the top of the ninth, we never saw Bonds as a pinch-hitter. Instead, Winn, Durham, and Molina go down with a whimper. A really, really weak offensive lineup tonight for the Giants. The rest of the goodness can be found down below.
- First couple innings, and both of these young pitchers seem to have their signature pitches working - Lincecum's fastball, and Hill's Hook. Could be very fun to watch them work
- it's really amazing how weak the Giants lineup looks, without bonds. Just brutal
- I'm pretty sure I heard a loud F-bomb when Jones popped up in the second.
- Feliz with a gift hit to lead off the third, as it knicks the third base bag. Aramis did a nice cat-like, mid-air twisting turn to try to react to it, but couldn't quite get to it. Sutcliffe correctly appreciates that Theriot hustled out from his SS position to grab the deflected baseball, before any chance of a hustle-double.
- last out of the top of the third comes on a bit of an ugly fly ball to short left-center. Jones squeezes it, barely avoiding a collision with Soriano.
- Koyie Hill with a no-doubt, sweet-swinging leadoff HR in the bottom of the third.
- Sutcliffe claiming we traded away the "good protection" behind Aramis in the batting order. That being Barrett. That's a big bucket full of stupid.
- Theriot with a nice diving grab on a line drive to get the leadoff hitter in the fourth.
- I actually like Bengie Molina, but you know your offense sucks when Sutcliffe identifies him as the right guy to have at the plate with a runner on base.
- Lincecum just blows a fastball right past Lee in the fourth. Impressive.
- Hey, Mark Sweeney is two pinch hits away from moving into second place for most all time pinch hits! Hell yeah.
- Erin Andrews asks Z what he thinks of Cuban possibly owning the team. Z is very much in favor of this. Heh.
- This Giants team is really, really bad. Just saying.
- and within a minute of typing that, Feliz smokes a high fastball for a solo HR. Their team still sucks.
- and Soriano swings through a Lincecum fastball, for strike three, in the sixth. Lincecum is also mixing in a change, and looks as good as advertised.
- Very quick game, with 4 total hits and 2 runs going into the bottom of the seventh. Lincecum has probably been more dominant, but both look good.
- Ward walks to lead off the bottom of the seventh, Pagan pinch runs. Derosa bunts him to second, and we have a RISP with one out, tie game. Jones up. ESPN reminds me that this is the first RISP for either team, all night.
- Tim Lincecum looks like Eric, "America's Player" on Big Brother 8. I know this.
- Jones walks, and Lincecum is out of the game with one out in the seventh. Nice pitching by the phenom.
- Some lefty reliever named Minsch gets Koyie Hill to GIDP to end the threat. Can't be too hard on the guy responsible for our only run tonight. But still, ugh.
- Feliz has the only two hits against Hill, and now leads off the 8th with a walk.
- Tough way to lose the lead. Frandsen sacrifices Feliz to second, and some pinch-hitter I've never heard of, and probably will never hear of again, hits a single into left. Soriano charges it, and the ball kicks hard off the heel of his glove, letting Feliz score and the runner advancing to second.
- Promptly followed up by a bunt hit, putting runners on 1st and 3rd.
- LouPa calls the pitchout to foil the Giants' attempt at a suicide squeeze. Runner on third hung out to dry, for the second out. Vizquel grounds out to end the inning.
- Two outs in the bottom of the eighth, and Theriot gets a broken bat infield single. Lee then hits a ball directly to where the second baseman had been standing, on a nicely executed hit and run. First and third, two outs,Aramis up, down a run in the eighth.
- Messenger in to pitch to Ramirez. Ramirez lines one toward the wall in the LF corner - he gets out on his front side quite a bit, but still thought he had hit it out, was posing and walking half the way to first base. Winds up being a double, not even close to being hit out. But what am I complaining about? Theriot scores, Lee scores from first, and we have the lead
- and in what might be the biggest display of fan dumbassitude at Wrigley yet this year, the Left Field
fanspeople start showering the field with trash, after we take the lead. WTF? Left Field Sucks.
- Howry in, to go through the "heart" of the Giants order in the 9th. That being Winn, Durham, and Molina. Heh. Winn taps it back to him on the first pitch in the ninth. Durham pops out to Derosa.
- Will Bonds pinch hit? No. Molina for the last out of the game... Whiffs on a typical Howry low outside 94 MPH fastball.
Please do not discuss War here. I think the Cub Reporter should be politics free.
But yes, whether you support War or Peace...Mike Trout is ridiculously consistent and good.
"According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, Tim Tebow's baseball workout Tuesday in Los Angeles will be attended by scouts from "roughly half" of the 30 major league teams."
"One scout told ESPN.com last week that Tebow's swing is so long it might "take out the front row." That's not a good thing."
MyrtleBeachPelicans [email protected]
The #MBpelicans and @Cubs have extended their PDC through 2020!
Carolina League getting 2 new teams too.
CF WAR is ridiculous...billy hamilton is pulling a 3.0 WAR somehow...and managed a 2.0 WAR last year (even though he missed a month of the season)...and a 3.7 WAR in 2014.
yeah, a lot depends on how one is doing relative to others at a given position, but WAR is common used (right or wrong) as a blanket comparing all kinds of players.
trout's one of the best, and at this point should probably win over donaldson (and should have more MVPs in the past, too), but the defensive aspect of valuing WAR still needs more tweaking...imo.
Mike Trout is ridiculous
Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo
2nd in defensive WAR, NL.
6th in NL in RBI
Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.
Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.
Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.
There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!
Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.
Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.
Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.
Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.
Baez still learning
heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.
he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.