TCR Friday Notes
A somewhat-weekly tour of Cubs' related links...
- Reader Virginia Phil spotted that infielder Justin Sellers was now with the Los Angeles Dodgers. A quick peak at Baseball America shows that he was dealt for a player to be named later a few weeks back. Sellers along with Richie Robnett were acquired for Michael "2.35 ERA, Hasn't walked a guy in 7.2 IP" Wuertz over the offseason (I'll work on the nickname).
- Some video and amateur scouting of Cubs' prospects down in Peoria including Josh Vitters and Ryan Flaherty at The Hardball Times courtesy of Colin Wyers.
- Harry at Cubs F/x graphs the loss of velocity over the last few seasons by Rich Harden.
- Reader "DougDascenzo" has started a petition to stop the "Luna Jingle" from playing at Wrigley Field. I had no idea what any of this was until the last 5 minutes of Google research, but apparently it's becoming quite the controversy. I'm all for grassroots movements, so go sign the petition and then donate $250,000 to TCR so we can buy a part of the Cubs. You'll be a part of history.
- Speaking of controversy...there's the Milton Bradley drama. First, he goes to Lou and says he's not 100% and Lou says he won't play him until he is 100%. As reader "Real Neal" pointed out, Lou didn't have much problems playing Alfonso Soriano over parts of the last two years(or Rich Harden for that matter), so that don't smell right . That being said, Milton's injury looks like it has more of a chance of getting worse than Soriano's did with more playing time, so maybe there is something there. And to Soriano's credit he seemed to go all out on the leg, just with a limp while Bradley was clearly struggling to move on Wednesday night. Plus Lou may still be peeved that Bradley didn't just take the 2-day suspension and get it all over it. Also, part of that conversation was urging Milton to talk to the media.
So Milton then calls Carrie Muskat over and tells her that he doesn't want to talk to media. Hey, mission accomplished. Part of the story says the Cubs' media relation director Peter Chase encouraged him to talk to the media which I guess went something like this.
PC: Hey Milton, your not doing yourselves any favors by not talking to the press. They'll just turn the fans against you.
MB: But they ask really dumb questions and Sullivan smells funny. Plus they have a vendetta against me.
PC: Alright, go talk to Carrie Muskat. She'll reprint everything verbatim, walk your dog for you and babysit your kids later. She won't even mention the 1-23 streak your on.
MB: That's a she? Shit. Okay.
The rest of the beat writers, particularly Gordon Wittenmyer, take offense to the whole thing and there's still 5-6 months left of this season and 2-3 years on Bradley's contract and I'm already over the drama. We knew he wasn't going to play 162 games, I myself was hoping for 120-140, so put the guy on the DL already. He already said he's not close to being back and the Cubs need to make sure that third year option doesn't kick in automatically.
Enjoy the weekend!
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
that was some joke ass official scoring giving him a double. either way, seager's on 2nd and soler's play in the OF is still sketchy.
Schwarber is worse right?
Seager with the two out double *cough* to left field in the bottom of the fourth. If Soler just plays that bunny hop off his nuts, it's a single - certainly no double.
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good
My guy Addy
Vin and '84 legends
been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.