32 Days of Cupcakes

Sunday night will mark the unofficial end of the Cubs' early-season Cupcake Schedule, which included games against:

• Atlanta (3 away)
  • Cincy (6 away)
  • Brewers (3 home, 3 away)
  • Houston (3 home)
  • Metropolitans (4 away)
  • Washington (3 home)
  • Arizona (4 home)
  • Pirates (3 away)

That's 32 games against non-playoff teams from a year ago, nearly half (15) against the four clubs which currently hold down the bottom four spots in Jay's Jaffe's National League Power Rankings at Baseball Prospectus: the Nats, Reds, Astros, and Pirates. At this writing, the Cubs have a combined 3-8 mark against those clubs; makes you wonder how long it will be until the Cubs take their rightful place among, or below, that lot. (The Cubs are currently ranked #6.)

Even if the Cubs beat the Pirates tonight and then sweep the weekend series at Great American Ballpark, they'll only have a post-Cupcake record of 17-15. I don't know about you, but from the time the Cubs schedule was first announced, I was hoping for, if not outright expecting, a better start to 2010 than that.

Comments

The Cubs missed taking a bite out of one of these?

*sigh*

I didn't read the whole article, just the heading and the teams were depressing enough. This series and the Houston one are really going to come back and haunt us if we ever make like contenders - a rather large 'if' at this point.

Anticipating a question about how BP compiles those rankings, here's the answer from their site:

"The Prospectus Hit List rankings are derived from Won-Loss records and several measurements pertaining to run differentials, both actual and adjusted, from Baseball Prospectus Adjusted Standings through the close of play on every Thursday."

This helps explain why, for example, the Nationals were ranked below six teams, including the Cubs, who had worse records than Washington.

Plain and simple... we suck!

But at least we don't have Milton Bradley to deal with, too!!

Yes, at least I can root for them to win, even though they won't.

Call it a hunch, but I think the Cubs are going to handle the Cards this year.

Yeah, imagine if they could hit mediocore pitching as well as good pitching.

This team is underwhelming. Lee and Ramirez need to start hitting and we need a long term solution for the bullpen.

Cheers to editor for using 16"clincher ball

Hall of Famer Robin Roberts dead at 83.

Finished his brilliant career with a handful of starts for the '66 Cubs.

Also, by way of Yahoo's Big League Stew, great video of Roberts appearing on the old "What's My Line?" gameshow.

Stock market with a moment of Cubbery today.

Chicago does not know how lucky we are that we did not get the Olympics.

• crunch 4 hours 33 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 4 hours 33 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 5 hours 6 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 5 hours 30 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 38 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 48 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 7 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.