Giants Take Two from Cubs in Scottsdale
The EXST Giants swept the EXST Cubs in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, winning 6-2 on Field #1 and 3-2 on Field #2. The game on Field #1 was terminated after seven innings of play, and the game on Field #2 was stopped after the Cubs took their turn (and failed to score) in the top of the 8th. And as usual, the games were played simultaneously.
There wasn’t much offense from the Cubs on either field today, although Xavier Batista did hit a solo home run (his 2nd EXST HR), and Cody Shields, Vismeldy Bieneme, and Jesus Morelli smacked RBI doubles. Chris Huseby once again was a DH, and he struck out twice (first time swinging, second time looking)
The pitching was generally OK (co-closer Danny Keefe fanned four to increase his team-leading strikeout total to 24 in 16.1 IP), the one exception being 6’6 19-year old Taiwanese RHP Tzu-An Wang, who was touched for six runs on five hits (two singles, two doubles, and a triple), two walks, two HBP, and a WP, in 1+ innings on Field #1. The second HBP was a head-shot off the batting helmet of Giants slugger Michael Sandoval that knocked Sandoval out of the game (and it was the last pitch Wang would throw today, too).
Shortstop Wes Darvill made two costly fielding errors (both bobbles) in the bottom of the 5th inning on Field #2, leading to two unearned runs scoring that turned a 2-1 Cub lead into a 3-2 Cub deficit (and eventual loss). Darvill has now committed a team-leading ten errors in 20 games played in the field (six games at 2B, and 14 at SS).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH-CF: 0-2 (K, 5-3, BB)
2. Rafael Disla, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, L-4 DP)
3. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (F-9, K, 4-3)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 1-3 (F-7, HR, 5-3, R, RBI)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 0-3 (1-3, K+WP, F-9, R, SB)
6. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
7. Cody Shields, LF: 1-2 (6-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Jose Guevara, C: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
9. Kyung-Min Na, CF-DH: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
10. Chris Huseby, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Tzu-An Wang – 1.0 IP, 5 H, 6 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (18 strikes)
2. Alvido Jimenez – 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 3/3 GO/FO, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Danny Keefe - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 12 pitches (11 strikes)
Jose Guevara: 0-2 CS
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, K, 2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
2. George Matheus, 3B: 1-2 (1B, BB, 1-4 SH, F-8)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (E-9, K, 2B, 6-3, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-4 (4-6 FC, 6-4 FC, 1-3, 1-3)
5. Bobby Wagner, DH: 1-2 (BB, BB, 4-3 1B)
6. Runey Davis, CF: 0-4 (6-4 FC, F-8, 1-3, 5-4-3 GIDP)
7. Albert Hernandez, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
8. Carlos Romero, C: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (P-6, BB, 6-4 FC, R)
1. Alvaro Sosa – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/FO, 6 pitches (6 strikes)
2. Austin Kirk – 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 2/5 GO/FO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Carlos Rojas – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Andres Quezada - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Jesse Ginley – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
1. 3B George Matheus E-5 (errant throw to 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
2. SS Wes Darvill E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. SS Wes Darvill E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
4. P Andres Quezada E-1 (errant throw on pickoff attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base
Carlos Romero: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Kinda weird stat -- the NL has 5 teams that are at least 20 games under -- it was 6 before the Brewers swept the Pirates -- and there are none in the AL. Oakland has the worst record in the AL at 18 under. Hunh.
Jon Lester scored his first career run today. And his 2nd. Now I see why hit bats 8th.
Every Cub starter has scored at least one run so far today, Russell leading the way with 3
Anybody with an over/under on the Cubs getting to 30 runs today?
JD pointing to Javy's minimal leg kick on that blast.
Javy with 3 hits, including a home run, and a walk.
Send bullpen home go get your complete game Lester
Cubs with lowest batting average in MLB but highest walk total in NL, as Rizzo clubs a grand slam
He drew a bases loaded walk early in the game
i hope Baez draws a walk today!
I hope Baez will draw a walk today.
Have a day!!
/another diaper dandy
one of the slowest men in the game is taking a 20+ft lead off 2nd.
i think the "he's working on throwing over" knockdown scare has worn off in the 4th inning.
it keeps working, though. this is at least the 3rd time someone from the club has announced "he's working on throwing over" and the opposing team being cautious the next game. they should do this before every start.
Lester does not get the Michael Jordan treatement from umpires. He really has to fight for his strikes sometimes.
something tells me this isn't godley's day.
Page loading faster, comments are very fast now.