Giants Take Two from Cubs in Scottsdale
The EXST Giants swept the EXST Cubs in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played at Indian School Park in Scottsdale this morning, winning 6-2 on Field #1 and 3-2 on Field #2. The game on Field #1 was terminated after seven innings of play, and the game on Field #2 was stopped after the Cubs took their turn (and failed to score) in the top of the 8th. And as usual, the games were played simultaneously.
There wasn’t much offense from the Cubs on either field today, although Xavier Batista did hit a solo home run (his 2nd EXST HR), and Cody Shields, Vismeldy Bieneme, and Jesus Morelli smacked RBI doubles. Chris Huseby once again was a DH, and he struck out twice (first time swinging, second time looking)
The pitching was generally OK (co-closer Danny Keefe fanned four to increase his team-leading strikeout total to 24 in 16.1 IP), the one exception being 6’6 19-year old Taiwanese RHP Tzu-An Wang, who was touched for six runs on five hits (two singles, two doubles, and a triple), two walks, two HBP, and a WP, in 1+ innings on Field #1. The second HBP was a head-shot off the batting helmet of Giants slugger Michael Sandoval that knocked Sandoval out of the game (and it was the last pitch Wang would throw today, too).
Shortstop Wes Darvill made two costly fielding errors (both bobbles) in the bottom of the 5th inning on Field #2, leading to two unearned runs scoring that turned a 2-1 Cub lead into a 3-2 Cub deficit (and eventual loss). Darvill has now committed a team-leading ten errors in 20 games played in the field (six games at 2B, and 14 at SS).
Here are today’s abridged box scores (Cubs players only):
1. Pin-Chieh Chen, DH-CF: 0-2 (K, 5-3, BB)
2. Rafael Disla, 3B: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, L-4 DP)
3. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (F-9, K, 4-3)
4. Xavier Batista, 1B: 1-3 (F-7, HR, 5-3, R, RBI)
5. Alvaro Ramirez, RF: 0-3 (1-3, K+WP, F-9, R, SB)
6. Blair Springfield, 2B: 0-2 (5-3, K)
7. Cody Shields, LF: 1-2 (6-3, 2B, RBI)
8. Jose Guevara, C: 0-2 (6-3, 6-3)
9. Kyung-Min Na, CF-DH: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
10. Chris Huseby, DH #2: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Tzu-An Wang – 1.0 IP, 5 H, 6 R (6 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 HBP, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (18 strikes)
2. Alvido Jimenez – 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 3/3 GO/FO, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Danny Keefe - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 12 pitches (11 strikes)
Jose Guevara: 0-2 CS
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 1-4 (5-3, K, 2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
2. George Matheus, 3B: 1-2 (1B, BB, 1-4 SH, F-8)
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-4 (E-9, K, 2B, 6-3, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 1B: 0-4 (4-6 FC, 6-4 FC, 1-3, 1-3)
5. Bobby Wagner, DH: 1-2 (BB, BB, 4-3 1B)
6. Runey Davis, CF: 0-4 (6-4 FC, F-8, 1-3, 5-4-3 GIDP)
7. Albert Hernandez, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
8. Carlos Romero, C: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, 1B)
9. Wes Darvill, SS: 0-2 (P-6, BB, 6-4 FC, R)
1. Alvaro Sosa – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/FO, 6 pitches (6 strikes)
2. Austin Kirk – 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 2/5 GO/FO, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Carlos Rojas – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Andres Quezada - 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Jesse Ginley – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
1. 3B George Matheus E-5 (errant throw to 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely – did not score)
2. SS Wes Darvill E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
3. SS Wes Darvill E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely – eventually scored unearned run)
4. P Andres Quezada E-1 (errant throw on pickoff attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base
Carlos Romero: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.
Awesome. It wasn't long ago that he was kind of the best prospect coming through the system.
Javy's grunge dive into the stands for the popup was awesome - the hitting into the double play not so much
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
okay, this is just silly. 19 pitches in, 1 out, 4 runs in, men on 1st and 2nd...hendricks up to bunt.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.