Guyer Lone Bright Spot in Cub Loss
The EXST A’s defeated the EXST Cubs 5-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Papago Park Field #2 in Phoenix this morning.
AA Tennessee OF Brandon Guyer continued his rehab, and was single-handedly responsible for the lone Cub run. He ripped a double down the LF line to open the top of the 4th, then stole 3rd base, and scored on an E-2 catcher’s overthrow on the SB.
Otherwise, the Cubs offense was mainly silent.
Peoria RHP Marcus Hatley (2009 TJS rehab) started the game for the Cubs and threw two hitless & shutout innings (30 pitches), and then RHP Juan Yasser Serrano followed with two more shutout innings (23 pitches).
But LHP Marcos Perez got rocked for four runs on nine hits (seven singles, a double, and a HR) in just 1.2 IP, as he has now allowed 11 runs (10 earned) on 19 hits over his last 8.2 IP covering three outings.
Oakland A's RHP Joey Devine (TJS rehab) threw 2.2 IP of shutout ball, and was VERY impressive, allowing just one hit and no walks while fanning five.
And 6'7 Dominican bonus baby RHP Michael Inoa threw one shutout inning (1/2 GO/FO) for the A's today, allowing one hit and no walks while throwing two WP
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 2B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, 4-3)
2. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-U, K, SB)
3. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF: 1-4 (K, F-8, 1B, 5-3, CS)
4. Brandon Guyer, DH #1: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, BB, F-8, R, SB)
5a. Blair Springfield, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
5b. Rafael Disla, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6. Alvaro Ramirez, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, F-8)
7. George Matheus, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7)
8. Albert Hernandez, 1B: 1-3 (F-9, 1-3, 1B+E1)
9a. Carlos Romero, C: 0-2 (K, 3-1)
9b. Jose Guevara, C: 0-1 (5-3)
10. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (F-8, 5-3, 5-3)
1. Marcus Hatley – 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1/2 GO/FO, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Juan Yasser Serrano – 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Marcos Perez - 1.2 IP, 9 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 PO, 1/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (29 strikes)
4. Yao-Lin Wang - 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2/4 GO/FO, 35 pitches (19 strikes)
Carlos Romero: 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless with temperatures in the 80’s
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.
Who's Mr. June-August? Can't be Jorge "Mr. 1.705 Playoff OPS " Soler, can it?
Chesny Young 4-5 tonight for Tenn. Now hitting .410 with an OBP over .500.
Looks like Soler has decided to take the "can't play in the cold" thing head-on. No longer wearing the cold-weather under gear.
Cubs record for last 3 months of regular season baseball: 59 - 23. (Aug, Sept/Oct and April, with one still to go).
That's a .720 winning percentage and projects to 117 wins over 162 games.
That's a lot of dance parties.
So where does Warren G rank in the list of terrible "Take me out to the ballgame" renditions? It's gotta be near the top.