Morelli Extends Hit Streak to 15 Games As Cubs Rally to Drop Brewers

Carlos Romero bounced a game-tying RBI single to right, Alvaro Ramirez lined an RBI single down the RF line, and Pin-Chieh Chen knocked-in two insurance runs with a two-run single, as the EXST Cubs rallied to score four runs in the bottom of the 8th to defeat the EXST Brewers 5-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in Mesa. The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning contest, so that more Brewer and Cub pitchers could get game work.

Besides the four-run rally in the 8th, other EXST Cubs highlights today included Tarlandus Mitchell and Austin Kirk combining to fan ten Brewers in just 5-1/3 innings, and Jesus Morelli extending his hit streak to 15 games with a 1st inning single. (Morelli is now hitting 382/447/574 in 21 EXST games since being moved down to Extended Spring Training from Peoria).

Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):

LINEUP:
1. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 1-5 (P-4, F-9, 6-4 FC, 1B, F-7, R)
2. Alvaro Ramirez, CF: 1-4 (P-3, 4-3, F-7, 1B, RBI, R, SB)
3. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 2-3 (1B, BB, 4-3, 1B, 2 RBI, R)
4a. Jesus Morelli, RF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K)
4b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THROUGH ORDER ALTHOUGH MORELLI REMAINED IN RF
5. Runey Davis, LF: 0-4 (K, K, F-8, 5-3)
6a. Sergio Burruel, DH-C: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K, RBI)
6b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THROUGH ORDER ALTHOUGH BURRUEL REMAINED IN GAME
7. Chris Huseby, DH #2: 1-4 (1B, K, 6-3, 5-3)
8a. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, R, SB, CS)
8b. Wes Darvill, PH-SS: 0-1 (F-7)
9a. Jose Guevara, 1B: 0-3 (K, P-5, 3-1)
9b. Blair Springfield, PH-1B: 0-1 (5-3)
10a. Carlos Romero, C: 2-3 (P-4, 1B, 1B, RBI)
10b. Kyung-Min Na, PR-DH: 1-1 (1B, R)

PITCHERS:
1. Tarlandus Mitchell – 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 45 pitches (26 strikes)
NOTE: Mitchell’s 1st inning was terminated (“rolled”) with two outs after Mitchell had thrown his 27th pitch of the inning
2. Austin Kirk – 3.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 6 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 60 pitches (40 strikes)
3. Jesse Ginley – 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Jose Rosario – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Danny Keefe - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 8 pitches (6 strikes)
6. Corey Martin – 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (13 strikes)

ERRORS: NONE

CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Romero: 1-3 CS

BASERUNNING MISADVENTURES: Pin-Chieh Chen was thrown out 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to RF with two outs in the bottom of the 1st inning.

ATTENDANCE: 18

WEATHER: Sunny & cloudless, with temperatures in the 90’s

Comments

Phil, did the Cubs send some players back to the Dom. Rep. such as Disla, Camerena and Mendez?

#1 Re: Morelli Extends Hit Streak to 15 Games As Cubs Rally to ...
*new
Submitted by Hagsag on Sat, 05/29/2010 - 5:03pm.

================================

HAGSAG: No.

Hey Az Phil,

A lot of people think the Cubs over-reached with Kirk in the third round. I understand it's way too early to tell (by about four years) if that's true, but what is your gut feeling about Austin? I know he comes from a HS powerhouse in OK, and he's a LEFTY, but other than that he kind of went unnoticed through the 2009 draft analysis stories. I think that neglect led to a lot of the reasoning behind the over-reaching statements.

Submitted by Childersb3 on Sat, 05/29/2010 - 5:56pm
Hey Az Phil,

===================================

CHILDERS: I like Austin Kirk. He had a poor Minor League Camp (control issues) and that's why he wasn't considered for a slot on the Peoria Chiefs Opening Day roster, but he has pitched very well at EXST (3.07 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, .212 OBA, with a team-leading 28 K), and I would say he is ready for Peoria right now.

Kirk is a fly ball pitcher with a plus-fastball and a plus-curve who gets a lot of swings & misses and pop ups, whereas fellow EXST Cubs LHP John Mincone (who also appears to be ready for Peoria) has more sinking action on his fastball and so he is much more of a ground ball pitcher.

through 8 inning at Florida

phils up 1-0 on 1 unearned run

long flyout to CF for the first out

K's W. Helms for out #2

groundout to 3b to do it

That was a fun one to watch.

Kendry Morales breaks his ankle during celebration after walk-off grand slam...

The Grammatica school of celebrating.

Z to start Wednesday according to Muskat...

that is Randy Wells turn in the rotation, although no announcement that he's been moved to the pen or will be sent down.

BLACKHAWKS!!!!

This whole postseason, I keep thinking to myself, "I wish I cared about hockey." Gotta be an exciting time for fans.

Dontrelle designated for reassignment today. At least he's rich.

Poor Dontrelle. I thought he was pitching ok...of course Schertzer is better.

Wonder if he wants to be a reliever?

Or play third.

per muskat:

rf fuke, 2b riot, 1b lee, 3b ramy (if OK), cf byrd, lf sori, c soto, ss castro, p demp

(Tyler Colvin's mom sticks a pin in her Piniella bobble head doll)

Fontenot and Colvin both ought to be in the lineup vs. Wainwright. Cub #s against him are mostly awful, except for Soriano and Aramis.

I am tired of Lou now.

Can he please go home?

Fontenot has been one of our few offensive bright spots this week.

And, he will be replaced by a guy batting .170, with an injured thumb, tricep, and shoulder?

Muskat's hair is on fire...

Cubs will call up Andrew Cashner on Mon in Pitt

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

Rob G. 52 min 40 sec ago view
  • When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 1 hour 5 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 1 hour 6 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 1 hour 7 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 1 hour 26 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

Rob G. 1 hour 39 min ago view
  • they're awful

Rob G. 1 hour 41 min ago view
  • I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 1 hour 44 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 2 hours 19 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 3 hours 33 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 5 hours 9 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.