• The accent is on the second syllable.

al CAN ta ra.

When the accent is on the second syllable, you can barely hear the third syllable "a", but it is there.

Author: DavidP
    3 hours 50 min ago
  • Almora'a 20 years old in Hi-A, chill. Some injuries and a slow start is all...

Author: Rob G.
    3 hours 51 min ago
  • Pretty damn great basketball piece:

3 hours 56 min ago
  • Fuckin' kids

Author: Rob G.
    4 hours 22 min ago
  • Hector Rondon 10 games since returning from Paternity Leave: 8.2 IP, 13 H, 8 R (8 ER), 5 BB, 10 K

Author: Arizona Phil
    4 hours 48 min ago
  • It's funny though because his maturity and fast track baseball instincts were supposed to be his strengths and he's moving slower than anyone in the system. That said I realize he was a HS'er and that he had injury trouble. Still ... he is a curious case.

5 hours 1 min ago
  • It seems to me one of the shiniest bits about Almora is his "makeup", which I don't know how Cubs brass measures it, but they think he has lots of it. Also, since I've just recently looked through the MLB.com evaluation of Cubs prospects, Almora's defense gets the single highest score (75) of any Cubs prospect specific tool.

Author: Jackstraw
    5 hours 8 min ago
  • I think I remember reading that he actually changed the pronunciation of his last name last year ... Which may have lead to the confusion and inconsistency. I'll see if I can fund a link.

5 hours 17 min ago
  • All Arismendy, all the time.

However, I am baffled as to how pronounce his last name -- I have heard Pat Hughes say "AL-Cantra", while Len seems to say "Al-Can-TARA", which is what I always thought.

Oh, to dream:
    1. AA - CF
    2. Russell -SS
    3. Bryant - LF
    4. Rizzo - 1B
    5. Baez - 3B
    6. Soler - RF
    7. Castro - 2B
    8. Castillo - C

With Schwarber and Almora as well. Although, I don't really get the Theo love for Almora -- not much power, nor much speed, doesn't draw many walks -- his offensive contribution will rely almost exclusively on hitting singles and doubles. Not very Theo-esque.

Author: billybucks
    5 hours 22 min ago
  • Addison 2 more hits tonight already ...

5 hours 28 min ago
  • I actually thought the walk to get to Upton was a nice move.

The PHing for Olt didn't even bug me in that situation, because they needed to keep things moving along and Valbuena puts up good at bats, whereas Ot can be a bit Oltish. Instead of worrying about pinch hitting him, I am more annoyed with the fact he doesn't play, but that is pretty well documented.

Author: Old and Blue
    5 hours 41 min ago
  • Excellent point you make. Maybe he knew no one was staying in Miami?

5 hours 57 min ago
  • Why the fuck did Wade opt out of 2yrs/$40+ million?

Author: Newport
    6 hours 1 sec ago
  • Ricky makes Lou and Dusty look like the Mothers Theresa of rookies. He's just completely lost.

6 hours 58 min ago
  • Rondon has gone from a good thing to a questionable thing. The bullpen has been OK overall, but they have blown a lot of late leads.

Author: billybucks
    7 hours 17 min ago
  • Ramirez should have stayed in for the 9th. He only faced one batter in the 8th and should be the closer anyway based on his stats and performance. Rondon hasn't had it lately. This is one they should have won easily and closed out. Annoying.

Author: WISCGRAD
    7 hours 20 min ago
  • i dont care how they use him as long as he gets used.

everyday 3rd? sure.
    3rd/1st/LF? sure.
    part-time getting a large chunk of a week's work? sure.
    AAA starter (3rd/LF/1st, even)? sure.

he may never be an ob% monster, but there's 30+ potential homers + good D in a young guy that plays a semi-rare position quite well.

it's okay to let a guy work on stuff over a period of time without playing much in order to get it together better, but eventually you got to let the dude play sink/swim and put it all into real games physically, mentally, and consistently.

Author: crunch
    7 hours 48 min ago
  • I wonder how many years/games wade has left? But is was wondering if he'd come home to Chicago after the LeBron move. I had a feeling this morning that Melo might be Chicago bound! Fingers crossed. What a battle that would be with Cleveland Bulls and Indiana.

7 hours 54 min ago
  • on the Bulls front, some rumoring of 'Melo and Gasol both joining...not bad. Also looking at Dwayne Wade, him and Rose will look good together in suits on the bench.

Author: Rob G.
    8 hours 1 min ago
  • Treats him like a piece of shit. They should just DFA him. This isn't dictated by front office trade negotiations. Ricky treats him like a retarded puppy. Batting 8th too behind lake and caughlin why is lake batting 6th? His K with bases loaded and 0 out was a predictable thing of beauty.

8 hours 3 min ago
  • bases loaded, 1 out in the 6th...m.olt gets pinch hit for...

cubs got 1 run on a walk from valbuena...so they have that going for them.

still...they might as well just go ahead and trade him for an infield rake (something they actually use).

Author: crunch
    8 hours 11 min ago
  • Bam!

8 hours 38 min ago
  • Save Castro for the Stanton trade, then sign Price after the 2015 season.

/bam

Author: jacos
    8 hours 41 min ago
  • That would basically mean trading Castro.

8 hours 52 min ago
  • A lot of musical chairs going on in those last few comments.

I don't get the impression that the Cub brass enjoys moving shortstops and 3Bs to other positions.

What they really love is trades, preferably blockbusters.

Author: VirginiaPhil
    10 hours 48 sec ago
  • If you haven't seen the Baez blast yet. He absolutely punishes this:

That pitch deserved to be punished.

Author: Ryno
    10 hours 13 min ago
  • Damn it, you stole my Geo joke!

:-)

Author: jacos
    11 hours 14 min ago
  • ~sad horn~ for phil

LeBron is brilliant.

Comes home to younger version of Heat, only bad thing is home is Cleveland.

Author: jacos
    11 hours 49 min ago
  • makes sense, still Irving, Love, James is ridiculous...just needs Phil Jackson

Author: Rob G.
    12 hours 2 min ago
  • The rumor is Wiggins for Love

Author: jacos
    12 hours 12 min ago
  • probably true....if that's the case I would withdraw the offer to 'Melo if I was the Bulls...seriously what would be the point. Love, James, Irving, Wiggins on Cleveland is a better core than the Heat had...don't even bother. Although I guess they could trade Wiggins for Love, not up to speed on the NBA trade mechanics at the moment.

Author: Rob G.
    12 hours 15 min ago
  • who are they going to trade for Price?

guessing Alcantara at 2B or CF, Castro SS, Rizzo 1B, Castillo C, Bryant 3B, and free agents/scrubs at the other 3 with Baez starting the season in Iowa and ready to jump in at 2B, Russell and Soler should be looming next year as well depending on how the rest of AA in 2014 goes.

Author: Rob G.
    12 hours 19 min ago
  • Really?? C'mon melo!

12 hours 23 min ago
  • Love is going to Cleveland too.

/d'oh

Author: jacos
    12 hours 28 min ago
  • No way Bryant is in cf. But you could just switch Ruggiano to cf, Bryant to rf, etc. sure would be a lot more fun to watch!!!! I think Alcantara might be in OF ...

12 hours 52 min ago
  • 2015 opening day lineup:
    Alcatara 2B, Ruggiano RF, Rizzo 1B, Castro SS, Bryant CF, Baez 3B, Castillo C, Coughlan LF, Price P

Thoughts...

Author: Ryno
    12 hours 55 min ago
  • I don't know how much of this is genuine and how much is written by a PR person, but either way he seems to have handled this wisely.

Author: Ryno
    13 hours 1 min ago
  • Alcantara leading off today.

Author: Ryno
    13 hours 7 min ago
  • Way to turn it back to something classy LeBron. I applaud this move. Very cool.

13 hours 20 min ago
  • Agreed -- it pains me to say it, but -- Well done, LeBron.

Author: billybucks
    13 hours 20 min ago
  • LeBron handled this one a lot better...back to Cleveland. If Bulls can get met Melo or Love and Rose stays healthy, could be fun next year.

Author: Rob G.
    13 hours 27 min ago
  • No chance on the first, I think it hit the dugout fence on the fly. On the second I don't think they'd have gotten the out but Rizzo might have come up with the ball and kept it from hitting the dugout fence.

Author: Jackstraw
    14 hours 10 min ago
  • I've heard Utley has not intention of approving a trade from Philly.

Author: WISCGRAD
    17 hours 10 min ago
  • BR has it at 0.4, which ties Barney for 6th on the Cubs offensively (Rizzo, Castro, Bonifacio, Wood [no joke] and Valbuena)

Author: WISCGRAD
    17 hours 11 min ago
  • Can somebody calculate Alcantara's WAR really quick? Thanks.

Author: Old and Blue
    17 hours 35 min ago
  • Would Rizzo have made the play on either of them? The guy is like the rubber man from Fantastic 4.

Author: Old and Blue
    17 hours 38 min ago
  • This is why I don't like free agency as a way to get top of the line pitchers, and why last year I wanted Bryant instead of a pitcher first round, and why this year I wanted a position player first round, instead of a pitcher. Although I will admit I was a little disappointed the Cubs didn't get Tanaka - I got caught up a bit in the hype, but I was hardly crushed when he went to the Yanks. The TheoCorp approach is working pretty well - somehow they are finding quality starters every year without breaking the bank. The one time they did spend some money they got burned, but at least that wasn't an injury. So next year, can they get a Hammel type again on the cheap? I hate to even see them move a high end prospect for a TMJ candidate, sort of a reverse of the Rizzo trade. They may decide to do that, but there's a 50-50 chance that if they do, whoever they pick up will miss a year just like half the other pitchers in the league seem to be doing these days.

Author: Old and Blue
    17 hours 40 min ago
  • Maybe we can get Sean Marshall back. Hamilton could probably move to 2b if a CF is easier for them. Otherwise Utley and Zobrist should be available before they start slumming it.

Author: Rob G.
    23 hours 3 min ago
  • The team told fans and Lakeview neighborhood residents in an email Thursday evening that it plans to finish installing new seating, group terraces, outfield signs and lighting, including the new left-field video board, by Opening Day 2015.

Author: QuietMan
    1 day 21 min ago
  • Bryant with a confirmed crushed HR to left tonight in Omaha. Long, high fly ball just ~50 feet bigger than the field of play. Also 2 throwing errors....both times ball hit right down the line and pulled him into foul territory...came up firing...high/wide.

Author: Jackstraw