• I'm ready for the end of the Miggy era.

Newport 1 hour 21 min ago
  • he juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust got there...1st appearance, injury...yow

crunch 1 hour 46 min ago
  • b.matusz it is.

crunch 1 hour 48 min ago
  • Oops. Colin Rea leaves the game with injury.

John Beasley 2 hours 7 min ago
  • Cubs optioned Justin Grimm to Iowa after the game. No corresponding roster move announced yet, but it could be Brian Matusz.

Arizona Phil 2 hours 8 min ago
  • Marlins with a quick 4 spot vs Jaime Garcia. Osuna HR the highlight.

Cubster 2 hours 46 min ago
  • Brian Matusz, supposedly he has attachments. Hope it's not like an email with a virus attached.

Cubster 2 hours 59 min ago
  • One thing to remember about Chapman -- he can be magic, but his ERA is higher than Rondon's this year. 100+ mph is fun, but I'd love to see a few more sliders. I think he enjoys the crowd reaction from 103 mph.

billybucks 3 hours 17 min ago
  • "Diamondbacks designated RHP Josh Collmenter for assignment."

aww...he was my 2nd favorite crapballer. his control issues are rather severe at the moment.

crunch 3 hours 22 min ago
  • haha

crunch 3 hours 42 min ago
  • Wow -- Chapman gives up a hit and everything completely caves in. I think the Cubs went into collective shock.

Stolen base with the pitcher holding the ball, WP that should have been caught or blocked, then Russell with a 2-out error on a routine play. Cubs handed them 2 runs. Throw in a Fowler bobble and it was a mess.

Hopefully, that is all out of their system now -- let's get a W tomorrow.

billybucks 4 hours 51 min ago
  • First time I've ever seen a base running slump -- he's made some poor decisions recently, but I thought it was a great idea to try to score there -- it's not like Heyward was going to get a 2-out hit against a LHP. Sliding feet-first into home is probably the safe (ugh) way to go, but it's hard to get the foot on the plate.

billybucks 4 hours 52 min ago
  • Yup. He got squeezed (twice) on the first walk, but, when you have one-run lead and the other team is trying to make an out -- take the out.

billybucks 5 hours 8 min ago
  • Wasn't fun!

Brick 5 hours 12 min ago
  • Clearly the Cubs need to clear out the farm and trade for another closer

Where's Ed Lynch when you need him?

Eric S 5 hours 14 min ago
  • Those were more entertaining times.

Charlie 5 hours 21 min ago
  • I wonder if there's an actual cause to this because they were going up hacking at everything. Wonder if scoring a bunch of runs makes you feel like you.can swing at anything and hit it.

johann 5 hours 28 min ago
  • That second walk he gave Up was awful though with no pitches even close to being a strike. He was trying to pitch around bunt and that almost never works. That said Rondon should have been brought in after the first walk and should have been left in to finish the inning because he was looking like he had good stuff.

johann 5 hours 42 min ago
  • Remember when Bryant used to be able to run the bases with impunity?

CTSteve 5 hours 44 min ago
  • And Miggy costs them another run

Eric S 5 hours 51 min ago
  • torres would easily be the system's #1 prospect. he's a middle IF'r that's showing he can stick there even as he's gaining bulk/muscle so far. that said, it's not like the distance between torres and jimenez is huge...it's torres's position value that would vault him in prospect status.

jimenez has the higher ceiling just isolating the bat aspect of his game.

it would suck to lose either, but torres is a very popular/valuable piece.

crunch 5 hours 51 min ago
  • Arrieta in line to lose the game too

Cruel game

Eric S 5 hours 52 min ago
  • ...and chapman fails us. gives up the lead. boo.

crunch 5 hours 54 min ago
  • bringing in rondon to try to put out this fire is a nice luxury.

crunch 6 hours 1 min ago
  • Complete craziness bottom seven. Bottom line Cubs were fortunate to score a run

And of course Arrieta walks the first two batters in the eighth (to be fair he was totally squeezed on Zunino's walk to start the inning)

Eric S 6 hours 5 min ago
  • ...and the no hitter is over in the 7th...2 on, 0 out.

crunch 6 hours 27 min ago
  • Miley thru six: no hits, no walks, 8 K's - one batter (Bryant) reached on a error by Seager (hard hit but clearly an error). At 71 pitches

Eric S 6 hours 34 min ago
  • It's the law of baseball -- if you score 10+ runs in a game, you must struggle to score in the next game. Particulalry against an inferior pitcher.

billybucks 6 hours 40 min ago
  • Looking for Bryant to break up another no-no with a long fly ball in the sixth.

But any hit will do.

Eric S 6 hours 43 min ago
  • this game is f'n flying by.

also, "Hernandez (5-4, 3.45) versus Hendricks (9-7, 2.39), ruined by ESPN tomorrow at 7:08pmCST." gets 1000 upvotes and a gold star.

crunch 6 hours 55 min ago
  • His control is still off with a lot of overthrowing of his fastball. Mariners haven't been able to take advantage of it so far but it still doesn't seen like he's had a start this year where his mechanics have been great start to finish.

johann 7 hours 1 min ago
  • Why is that disconcerting, OB?

Charlie 7 hours 8 min ago
  • He was a big key to the crazy start, a big key to the end of last year, a big key in not beating the Mets (although lots of help from a tired inexperienced team there), so although the team as a whole can get through a series with a good Jake it will be tough with a bad Jake. I don't think it's realistic to have the insanely great Jake again, but maybe it is. Seeing today's box score it appears maybe it is - but I haven't been able to tune in yet.

Old and Blue 7 hours 22 min ago
  • IMO Jake is really the key to winning the World Series, but maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on one player.

Rob Richardson 7 hours 53 min ago
  • The reports that they offered EITHER Jimenez or Torres for Chapman are a little disconcerting. I hope 1) Those reports are wrong, and 2) if they are not wrong, that they will hold on to him, as the team could use the outfield depth. I have only seen him in the futures game, but he looks like a keeper.

Old and Blue 8 hours 15 min ago
  • Very nice. I saw him in Lansing in May. I'm still stunned that he hit a 400-foot foul ball onto Larch Street ... which is going the other way for a right-handed batter. It was perhaps the most amazing swing I've ever seen a minor league player take. I should also mention that it was about 40 degrees out at the time. Not that it's evidence of anything per se, but I feel his plate approach is way more advanced than Soler was at this stage in his development and that the comparisons aren't really fair to Jimenez. 50/50 chance I'll go to Midland tonight for the low-A debut of Oscar de la Cruz. At least that's what I'm telling myself. In truth, I think I just want to see Jimenez one more time before he gets promoted out of the Midwest League.

John Beasley 10 hours 4 min ago
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Finished the night 4-5, with two doubles - 32(!) on the season - along with the grand slam. Sick

Eric S 11 hours 26 min ago
  • Meanwhile, out West:

SF is 2-11 since the break, lead over LA is down to one game, and they are running out Cain and Peavy this weekend against the Nats. Challenging times by the Bay.

billybucks 12 hours 13 min ago
  • Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.

Hagsag 16 hours 8 min ago
  • The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

But Frazier came down with a case of the "yips" during Minor League Camp 2014 and was left behind at Extended Spring Training "to work things out." But he never did.

The 6'7 righthander's fastball was clocked consistently at 97-99 MPH as recently as last season, but he was so wild that at one point he was only allowed to face LH hitters, because it was a concern that he might kill a RH hitter. He dialed-down his fastball velocity a bit to the mid-90's this year to try and improve his command, and while he did get to South Bend (briefly), he ended up back at Extended Spring Training (again), and then was assigned to Eugene, where he continued to struggle.

FWIW, Frazier finished 2nd in the Instructs HR derby post-2014. He had some serious juice as a hitter. I actually thought the Cubs might try him as a corner OF before releasing him (like they did with Chris Huseby a few years ago), but I guess that wasn't to be.

Arizona Phil 21 hours 17 min ago
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

RHSP Tyson Miller (Cubs 2016 4th round draft pick - California Baptist) got the start for the AZL Cubs and threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball (40 pitches - 27 strikes), allowing two walks, while striking out one (3/3 GO/AO). He benefited from an outfield assist and a CS to help get him out of some trouble in the first two innings, but he looked OK. Probably more "projectable" than anything right now. Reminds me a bit of recently traded RHSP Paul Blackburn.

The best 2016 Cubs draft pick I've seen down here so far is RHSP Bailey Clark (5th round - Duke), who features a 93-94 MPH fastball that touches 95-96 and a hard-breaking slider, and much better command than was advertised pre-draft. He could be VERY good, and he could move fast.

I have not seen RHSP Thomas Hatch (Cubs 2016 3rd round pick - Oklahoma State) throw in a game yet (although I did see him pitch in the CWS on TV), and I don't know if he will be assigned to the AZL Cubs or go directly to Eugene. He is one of three 2016 Cubs draft picks yet to be assigned (RHPs Michael Rucker and Nathan Sweeney are the other two). Two others (RHP Stephen Ridings and Tyler Peyton) were placed directly onto the 60-day DL.

Arizona Phil 21 hours 31 min ago
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

Old and Blue 1 day 2 hours ago
  • Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 1 day 2 hours ago
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 1 day 3 hours ago
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 1 day 3 hours ago
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 1 day 5 hours ago
  • Hey! I remember this team!

billybucks 1 day 5 hours ago
  • The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 1 day 6 hours ago
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

The E-Man 1 day 7 hours ago
  • Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

Old and Blue 1 day 8 hours ago