Jokisch, Wada, Hendricks to pitch at Milwaukee this weekend. EJax to pen. #Cubs
Shamil Ubiera Alles
Shamil Ubiera hammered three doubles and a single, scored two runs, and collected four RBI, Varonex Cuevas drilled an RBI single, doubled, drew two walks, and scored a run, and Bryant Flete reached base four times on three singles and a walk and scored a run, as the Cubs thumped the Rockies 9-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #6 at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Ubiera had three hits (a single, a double, and a triple) against the Giants yesterday, so in two games over a period of two days Ubiera has collected seven hits (four doubles, two singles, and a triple) in 9 PA. In two seasons with the DSL Cubs (2012-13), the 21-year old RH hitting outfielder hit 297/367/446 with 42 doubles, four triples, eight HR, and 97 RBI, 89 runs scored, 27 SB (14 CS), and a 43/83 BB/K in 134 games (569 PA), while playing all three OF positions (mainly RF).
RHP Dallas Beeler got the start for the Cubs and pitched four innings (63 pitches - 44 strikes), allowing one run (earned) on four hits (two singles, a double, and a triple) and two walks with four strikeouts and a 7/1 GO/FO. The only run he allowed resulted from a lead-off triple in the top of the 1st inning followed by a one-out RBI single. Beeler retired eight of the last nine men he faced.
Beeler appears to be finally turning the corner after a lengthy "dead arm" period that landed him on the AAA Iowa Cubs 7-day DL (and left him behind at Extended Spring Training) to start the season. He probably will need at least one or possibly even two more EXST rehab starts before he is ready to rejoin the I-Cubs. but he looked a lot better today than he did in ihis previous start last Monday when he was cuffed around a bit.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Elliot Soto, SS: 1-3 (5-3, HBP, F-7 SF, K, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
2. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 4-5 (P-4, 2B, 2B, 2B, 1B, 2 R, 4 RBI)
3. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 2-4 (1B, F-7, F-9, BB, 1B, CS)
4. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 2B, K, BB, R, RBI)
5. Antonio Valerio, C: 0-5 (4-3, K, P-4, 4-6-3 DP, 4-6 FC, RBI)
6. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 2-5 (2B, F-8, 1B, F-8, 5-4-3 DP, R, RBI)
7. Matt Scioscia, 1B: 1-4 (1B+E5, E-5, 4-6-3 DP, K, R)
8. Bryant Flete, 2B: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 1B, BB, R, CS)
9. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-4 (1-3, P-6, 1B, K, R)
1. Dallas Beeler: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 7/1 GO/FO, 63 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 0/5 GO/FO, 34 pitches (23 strikes)
3, Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 27 pitches (19 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
1B Matt Scioscia - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Antonio Valerio: 0-3 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Arnaldo Calero - batter thrown out 7-5-6 trying to advance to 2nd base after play at home on RBI single
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with temperatures in the 80's