It's 3am and You're Dying For a Hit of Milo Hamilton; What Do You Do?

From Wednesday's Tribune...

A new channel devoted to the Cubs is one of the enticing potential revenue-generating items that Tribune Co. is floating as part of its planned sale of the Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field and its 25 percent stake in Comcast SportsNet.

The story mentions some of the roadblocks that might prevent a New York Yankees/YES Network sort of channel from becoming a reality in Chicago, including the possibility that Tribune Company could box the team's new owner into continuing to air many games on Tribune-owned WGN. Still, one can certainly see why the concept might be attractive...

[YES Network's] revenues, which include other sports programming
besides the Yankees, exceed $300 million, and its cash flow, a critical
measure of the network's health, was about $186 million in 2006,
according to The New York Times.
YES' value has been estimated at $3 billion, more than two times the
$1.3 billion valuation that Forbes magazine placed on the Yankees.

One other item of interest in the piece—so far this season, the Cubs are averaging a 4.9 rating on Comcast; the White Sox, whose ratings are up 27% over 2007, come in at 1.9. That's less than 40% of the Cubs' viewership.

Point that out the next time one of your Sox-loving friends whines about how the Cubs get more attention from the Chicago media.

Comments

Sox are pwned.

If you're dying for a hit of Milo at any time, you've got problems bigger than being up at 3 a.m.

I must be missing something. What does this have to do with Milo Hamilton?

24-hour Cubs channel = endless replays of old games = more Milo and Chip Caray than you ever dreamed of.

The Milo ref reminds me of a blog post I read last year:

"It should be noted that I’ve yet to meet any of Milo’s broadcasting partners who actually like the guy. The words they usually use to describe him, and that can be printed, include: ass, arrogant, bastard, prick, pompous, senile, and hack. And if you read Milo’s book, which I don’t advise, another word which spring readily to mind is vindictive.) I think Gene Elston would slug him if they were to ever be alone in the same room. Larry Dierker could barely tolerate him and hated being called Wrangler. I happened to hear Vince Cotroneo broadcast a Rangers game when the Rangers came to Houston. Nolan Ryan was a guest in the broadcast booths that day, and he was supposed to stop by all of them. He stayed longer than he was supposed to in the Rangers booth and Vince was talking about Milo banging on the wall and acting like a child. And don’t get me started on Milo’s relations with the Caray family (I had to listen to visiting team audio during my years with the Astros, and Skip Caray openly mocked Milo while on air during every game), the Ernie Johnson family, and I could go on and on."

Fabulous.

Twenty four hours of mediocre to bad baseball brought to you in brilliant Technicolor.

Actually, "Technicolor" was not a process used for television broadcast in any way. It was a telecine, or developer process championed by Kodak for feature films.

Agreed!

How may times a week would they show This Old Cub?

Actually, there will be a devoted "This Old Cub" channel: TOC TV. All Santo, all the time.

I credit TOC as the single most significant reason Ron Santo isn't in the Hall of Fame.

That sure makes a lot of sense

Santo's first year of eligibility: 1980
Year This Old Cub was released: 2004

So a movie about Ron Santo kept him out of the Hall of Fame for 24 years before it came out? Sure.....

I suppose that means we can't blame Barrett, either. Rats.

We may be able to blame Dan Uggla though.

I blame Ryan Theriot (ducking)

• ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 58 min 1 sec ago view
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

crunch 1 hour 35 min ago view
  • chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

crunch 1 hour 36 min ago view
  • the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

crunch 1 hour 40 min ago view
  • Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

Rob G. 1 hour 59 min ago view
  • Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 5 hours 28 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 5 hours 52 min ago view
  • I'm a bit disappointed on the Warren experience. Essentially they gave Castro away for crickets (OK, well they signed Zobrist with the Castro salary dump). Otherwise one might look at it as Chapman for Castro and our #1 minors prospect (Torres) + McKinney/Crawford. Seems pricey for a 2 month rental. We will see if this price tag is that steep in a relative way based on the remaining deadline deals for relievers.

Cubster 5 hours 52 min ago view
  • Yep. One of the great things about this team (in addition to being really good at baseball) was the "likable" factor. Feels a bit different now. Who knows...maybe Chapman will be the king of the dance parties.