Cubs 2009 Schedule

It's available at cubs.com, and the Cubs will open the season on the road at Houston on April 6th and open up Miller Park that Friday. They start the home season on Monday, April 13th versus the Colorado Rockies.

June looks pretty tough, with just one nine-game homestand and 17 on the road. They'll play their interleague schedule that month versus the AL Central, including home games versus the Twins, White Sox and Indians and then three on the road versus both Detroit and the White Sox. For the first time that I can recall, they play a series versus the White Sox in the middle of the week, although the second match-up at Comiskey (still Comiskey to me) is on the weekend.

They make up those home games in July with 16 at home and nine on the road. They finish the season with six at home versus Pittsburgh and Arizona. That will be right after a 10-game road trip to St. Louis, Milwaukee and San Francisco. They also travel to San Diego twice next season, April and August.

Comments

I'm pretty sure the schedule has been up at Cubs.com since October. MLB actually released everyones at the same time, instead of having them trickle out via each team over a couple of months.

And there are still two WSox series. They play at Wrigley mid-week (June 16-18) and then at the Cell the following weekend (Jun 26-28)

thanks for the Wsox catch...fixed.

if it was posted earlier, I missed every single one of those stories and comments.

Its a balanced schedule. Not one month that pops out as too brutal or too easy. Why you really cant settle it in stone until the off-season is over. It looks like May is the easiest. Even in June are road games are the Braves (I think they will be around a .500 team) Reds ( I think they will be the NL surprise team this year, so that could be tough) Houston (It looks like they want to shed payroll so they could be one of the worse teams, if they suffer a bad injury), Tigers (I think they will bounce back and win the AL Central) Wsox (see Houston).

Reds- "will be the NL surprise team this year, so that could be tough"

I believe for the third year running. So it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

If they get Harang and Bailey going I could see them being competitive, but that offense looks pretty weak without Dunn and Griffey.

Supposedly the Reds traded Bailey to the WSox for Jermaine Dye. I thought Bailey was a big time prospect and Jermaine Dye was an old outfielder, but what do I know?

yesterday's news cycle and already debunked by Jocketty who said he hasn't talked to the White Sox since Thanksgiving.

Hal McCoy got the story wrong...

They were discussing trading Dye for a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream

Shorty Rosenthal now says Phillies might be the 3rd team in the Peavy thang...

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

The E-Man 55 min 27 sec ago view
  • Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 3 hours 4 sec ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

billybucks 3 hours 27 sec ago view
  • Baez still learning

jacos 3 hours 28 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 57 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 2 hours ago view