Game thread: Astros (37-55) @ Cubs (42-51)

According to the Playoff Odds Report at Baseball Prospectus, your Chicago Cubs enter play tonight with a .66% chance of reaching the post-season. Yes, point-six-six percent, as in 66 percent of 1 percent. Pretty sad, huh?

The Astros, however, come into the game with a .00075% chance of reaching the playoffs, so by BP's figuring, the Cubs are about 866 times more likely to get to the post-season than are the Astros.

Feeling better now about 2010?

The Astros lead the season series, 4 victories to 2.

Astros lineup v. Carlos Silva (9-3, 3.45; 2-0, 3.12 all-time v. Astros)
Bourn 8, Sanchez 6, Berkman 3, Pence 9, C. Lee 7, Keppinger 4, C. Johnson 5, J. Castro 2, Rodriguez 1

Cubs lineup v. Wandy Rodriguez (6-11, 4.97; 4-4, 3.74 all-time v. Cubs)
Colvin 9, Castro 6, Lee 3, Ramirez 5, Byrd 8, Soriano 7, Soto 2, Baker 4, Silva 1

Comments

carlos silva sure is carlos silva tonight.

this isn't getting any better. after the lineup turns over to bourne for his 2nd ab in the 1st the pen gets up.

i am in awe of the lack of trash on the field and the lack of boo'ing from the stands. bases loaded...

holy leaping stop castro...thanks for that 3rd out.

silva with 11 er in his last 2.1ip (over 2 games)...13 hits, 5bb

ERA from 2.96 to 3.86

Silva looks angry to me. Very angry.

He looks fat to me.

it's been a while since i've seen someone so efficiently murder their year's work. he's still hanging onto a decent WHIP, though.

You wouldn't like Silva when he's angry

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.

I think Silva's green skin is actually from food poisoning.
---
There are two other possible explanations...Silva's hemoglobin is based on Copper or he's an Orion Slave trader

So much for the pipedream that the team would start playing better now. Hendry has my blessing to trade away anything that isn't bolted down.

I've got this awful feeling Hendry has had some offers for Silva but didn't pull the trigger.

if silva didn't have a year left, maybe.

no one would want to touch that risk i'd imagine.

Hey look! Carlos Silva!

The only thing more painful than running if you're Derrek Lee is watching Derrek Lee run.

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

crunch 59 min 12 sec ago view
  • I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

crunch 1 hour 30 min ago view
  • last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

crunch 1 hour 31 min ago view
  • How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 3 hours 26 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 3 hours 41 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 5 hours 58 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

• So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 6 hours 2 min ago view
  • TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.

Cubster 6 hours 51 min ago view
  • Objectively true. Scherzer's FIP is almost a half point higher than his ERA, mostly I deduce because his BABIP is .249 so something ridiculous like that. It's not like the guy can't be scored on, but when I watch him, I sometimes feel that he's the most in control of the game moving around him.

John Beasley 7 hours 36 min ago view
  • Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.

• Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

• i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 16 hours 48 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers: