Javier Baez Takes Maholm Deep at Fitch Park
Paul Maholm threw 5-2/3 innings (77 pitches), allowing three runs (all earned), seven hits (including two doubles, a triple, and a Javier Baez tape-measure home run), two walks, and a HBP, with five strikeouts and 5/5 GO/FO, in intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa.
Baez crushed his two-run bomb off a house on the north side of 8th Street, and then later in the game, lined a rope-double off the LF fence, stole 3rd, and scored the tying run on an Oliver Zapata single (Zapata’s third hit of the game, BTW).
Baez also made the defensive play of the day (diving stop behind 2nd base, before getting to his feet and making a strong throw to 1st to nip speedy Trey Martin by less than a step).
The game was extended beyond nine innings to accommodate all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw today.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Oliver Zapata, CF: 3-5 (1B, 2B, K, P-2, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-5 (L-8 DP, 1B, F-8, 6-3, 6-4 FC, RBI, PO)
3. Ryan Cuneo, DH #1: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, BB, 1-3, 4-3)
4a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
4b. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, K, K, CS)
5. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, 5-3, HBP, 2B, K, R)
6. Rock Shoulders, 1B: 2-3 (6-3, 2B, BB, 1B, RBI)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-4 (K, F-9, K, 5-4-3 DP)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-4 (6-3, 6-2 FC, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
9. Javier Baez, SS: 2-4 (K, HR, K, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
10. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-4 (K, 3B, 4-3, K)
11a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11b. Luis Acosta, DH #3: 0-2 (F-9, K)
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1 Trey Martin, CF: 1-5 (3-U, BB, 1B, 3-U, F-7, 6-3, R)
2a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (P-4, E-6, P-4)
2b. Brian Inoa, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, K, PO)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, 4-3, BB, BB, RBI)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 2-6 (2B, 5-4-3 DP, 4-3, 1B, K, 4-6-3 DP, R)
5a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (F-9, P-6, 2B, RBI)
5b. Shawon Dunston, Jr, LF: 1-2 (1B, P-1, R)
6. Anthony Giansanti, DH: 2-4 (BB, 1B, F-9, 1B, P-6, R, 2 RBI)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B-SS: 1-5 (6-4-3 DP, P-6, P-5, F-9, 1B, SB)
8a. Delbis Arcila, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
8b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (F-8 SF, K, RBI)
9. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-5 (P-6, K, 6-3, 3-U, 1B)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Brooks Raley: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2 GIDP, 60 pitches (41 strikes), 6/5 GO/FO
2. Frank del Valle: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 44 pitches (31 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
3. John Gaub: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Starling Peralta: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (13 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
5. James Pugliese: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 15 pitches (9 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Paul Maholm: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 PO, 77 pitches (48 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Gerardo Concepcion: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 38 pitches (26 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
3. Tayler Scott: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 20 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
4. Joe Zeller: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
SQUAD ”A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Contreras: 0-1 CS
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-4 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
SS Javier Baez – E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70’s
Russell left game with left heel contusion from foul ball on Saturday. Started to bother him during the Sunday game.
a.russell out and down into the clubhouse...no one knows why.
it's very hot on the field, so it might be heat related.
I blame the All-Star game again, or else Michael Barrett.
Miller park roof is closing. Hmmm, might play differently now?
Lester at 72 pitches through 3. Roof closing might get him through 6.
Middlebrows pulls a calf or hamstring. Len says he blew a tire rounding 1st. Nieuwenhuis enters game.
Now roof opening. Dizziness. No AC in the ballpark wrt the field.
just to lighten the mood:
Shark's day: 5.2 IP 5 Runs (all earned), 8 Hits, 2 HR. Left the game down 5-0 to Yankees.
Anyone expecting game 4 NLCS Shark vs Hammel or Lackey?
First inning: two on, no out, Rizz and Zobrist due up. Don't score.
Third inning: two on, one out, KB and Rizz due up. Don't score.
This is getting' old, fellahs.
KB still with ZERO RBI since the A/S break. Ouch.
62 through 2ip...yow.
it's an off day for d.ross, too. the wild pitch + passed ball in 2 separate strike 3 calls allowing the runner to reach 1st and the 5sb through 2ip makes for a bad game so far. ross cant shoulder any blame for some of those SBs, especially that villar steal of 3rd while lester watched him.
39 pitch inning by Lester. I guess it's a wash vs yesterday's 1st when Lackey gave up 2 run HR.
39 pitch, 2 run, 1st inning for lester. bleh.
horrible control so far today.
lester threw over to 1st! ...badly. braun takes 2nd.
it was a slow rainbow throw.
wow...villar just stole 3rd (after stealing 2nd) by walking 1/2 way to 3rd and then just sprinting toward 3rd with lester watching him do it from the mound.
Torres for Chapman I think Yankees are aiming high,but would much rather get him to keep away from Giants or Nationals.
The Chris Sale five-day suspension includes yesterday, so it's only through Wednesday, and therefore he will probably start against the Cubs on Thursday. And he'll be pissed-off and rested, too.
Sale suspended five games. Thank you, White Sox.