Rockies Edge Cubs at Fitch Park
Xavier Batista ripped a single, an RBI triple, and a solo home run to stake the Cubs to a 2-1 lead through five innings, but the Rockies scored two in the 6th and two more in the 7th and then held-on to edge the Cubs 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #3 in Mesa, AZ.
In 25 EXST PA, X. Batista is hitting 435/500/782 with one HR, one triple, three doubles, six RBI, and only two K. He was the last cut from the Peoria squad at the end of Minor League Camp, so he could be in-line for a promotion to Peoria in the near future.
RHP Starling Peralta got the start for the Cubs and threw three strong innings, allowing one run (earned) on three hits and a walk, with four strikeouts. His fastball was topping out at 95 MPH.
Javier Baez went hitless in four at-bats, striking out twice (both times swinging). He is now 0-17 with eight strikeouts since hitting for the cycle last Monday versus the Angels.
However, the two balls Baez put into play today were a towering fly ball to the deepest part of the ballpark caught up against the fence by the Rockies CF, and the other a fly ball to left that required a diving catch by the LF.
Here is the abridged box score from today’s game (Cubs players only):
1a. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (1-3, K, 6-3)
1b. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-1 (P-6)
2a. Pierre LePage, 2B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, P-2, R)
2b. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-1 (1B+E6)
3. Javier Baez, SS: 0-4 (K, F-7, K, F-8)
4a. Xavier Batista, LF: 3-3 (3B, HR, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
4b. Jair Bogaerts, LF: 0-1 (F-7)
5. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, K, F-7)
6. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-7, 5-3, 1B, 6-3, R)
7. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K)
8. Wilson Contreras, C: 1-3 (F-7, 6-3, 1B, RBI)
9. Anthony Giansanti, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-8)
10. Trevor Gretzky, DH #2: 0-3 (6-U FC, K, F-8)
1. Starling Peralta: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 42 pitches (25 strikes), 0/4 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 22 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Felix Pena: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 45 pitches (27 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. 1B Dan Vogelbach - E-3 (throwing error on sacrifice bunt attempt allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilson Conteras: 2-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Small man gonna small.
Imagine if Schwarber was healthy.
J.Zimmermann with a 695 at the moment, Arrieta is second at 495. Ross apparently hasn't qualified yet with just 4 starts and 22 IP fwiw.
Cubs Foe Tomorrow -
The Cubs are facing young Joe Ross tomorrow night for the Nats.
He has an ERA+ of 542. NOT a typo.
I don't think I have seen that recently...
as if you hadn't noticed, but the Cubs are dominating baseball at the moment at a level that has not been seen too often in baseball history.
if only he could throw a ball to first base, he might have a negative ERA and the Cubs would be undefeated.
Thanks for the extensive scouting report.
How about that Lester. What a beast. A nifty 1.58 ERA/227 ERA+
Sean Rodriguez still a douche
Strop quick pitches him and so he jaws with Strop and Cubs dugout.
Get use to it Pauly Shore, Buccos are done
was the last out, bottom 6th more about Adam Warren being good or about the Pirates struggling this series?
and on cue, Len and JD discuss:
JD: It appears that Adam Warren is becoming Joe Maddon's favorite club.
Len: You mean favorite Cub?
JD: No like a favorite golf club.
Len: Like Billie Baroo (then does Ted Knight/Judge Smails impersonation from Caddyshack)
Rizzo on fire
By the way in relation to the zany suits Madden was saying his other reason for forcing players to wear them in public is to cause some awkwardness and embarrassment in the players that they'd have to overcome. He said he feels this ability might help players when they screw up in the game recover more quickly. Not sure if it will but he definitely thinks about the things he does.
Brutal. Pirates load the bases with 0 outs and fail to push any runners across. After two tough games, that really has to suck the wind out of them. Man...
Bases loaded no outs
Lester pitches out of it