2011 TCR Free Agent Frenzy

It's that time again, although I'm a little late getting this up. Hopefully no one will sign immediately in the next couple of days. I added 3 names to the MLB contest to keep it at 15 like years past. Click here if the embedded form doesn't work.

May the force be with you!

Comments

Embedded didn't work, 'click here' did. Let me know if you didn't get it.

I love this stuff!!

I'm not really into this stuff but I'd love to see the results.

I got half way through and I was like, these dudes on this site are sick with how much they know compared to me.

So I don't even HAVE half a guess with Cliff Lee, although everyone thinks it's obvious.

I disagree. I think there's a 50-50 chance he stays with Texas, just because.

The rest of them, who the fuck knows. And none of them really get my pants wet anyway.

I didn't really know who one of the players is. The most difficult part was keeping track of which #'s you used.

I put Huff and Wood to the Cubs, both with lowish probability.

Sort of surprising that some of those guys are on the list ahead of DP Lee.

God, I pray to you. In the High Heavens. Find a way to destroy Facebook, and Twitter, before we get into the hot stove league.

I beg you Lord.

Undercover Boss was kind of fun. Felt good to see Wrigley on TV in November. Eyeroll

*rimshot

Is there a "select all" drop down for Cubs?

I did that last year and it didn't work out too well.

This is the first year in the last 2 or 3 that I don't see the Cubs signing any of them.... weird.

"Blue Jays hired Don Wakamatsu as bench coach"

pickings are getting thin sandberg...

...and from the world of "check out my laptop, dudes"...

"Mets have hired Paul DePodesta as vice president of player development and amateur scouting."

...and from the world of D.Lee...

"Derrek Lee underwent surgery Friday on his right thumb.
The veteran first baseman played the last month of the 2010 season with a torn ligament in his right hand, which partly explains his poor overall numbers."

...and from the department of you should seriously consider hiring someone that can hit a baseball because pitching isn't everything...

"Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the A's have won the rights to bid exclusively on Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma."

Yo crunch! September was Derrek Lee's best month at the plate....304 .404 .511 .915

what does that have to do with tim wilken? =p hehe...

these quotes are culled from rotoworld blurbs, btw.

Lee only hits like a major league first basemen when he has a hand injury. Had he been hurt all year, the Cubs may have done a lot better.

• video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

• from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

• great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

• If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?

Craig A. 9 hours 19 min ago view
  • #Cubs plummet to 19-5 in August.

Fun with FIP

• J. Hammel   3.07 ERA/4.27 FIP (3.68 FIP last year)
    • J. Arrieta     2.62 ERA/3.05 FIP (2.35 FIP last year)
    • J. Lester     2.81 ERA/3.67 FIP (2.92 FIP last year)
    • K. Hendricks  2.19 ERA/3.37 FIP (3.36 FIP last year)
    • J. Lackey     3.41 ERA/3.72 FIP (3.57 FIP last year with Cards)
  • zastyryzryzryzny put in 3.2ip 1h 0bb 3k

he's great when his control is "on"...problem is it's rarely "on" consistently. he could vault up the cubs prospect list if he ever gets better with that aspect of his game.

• JD's take was just trying to get in a lefty to better deal with mostly lefty Dodgers lineup.

My second thought was what you came up with. My first thought was he was trying to light a fire under Hammel.

Jackstraw 11 hours 37 min ago view
  • Maybe he was trying to spare him another brutal road start? NY, Colorado...

• joe got a pitcher up for hammel at nearly the 1st sign of trouble in the 3rd...pulled after 2.1

not injured and though it wasn't his day so far he wasn't looking like a pure disaster.

really short leash on him. zastryznzryzryny in.

• Russell and Soler can attest that Urias has a pretty good curve/slider - two big strikeouts looking to get out of that jam in the first.

Eric S 12 hours 43 min ago view
  • Classic Scully - great stuff.

Thank God we'll still have Hawk next season. (cricket cricket cricket)

Eric S 17 hours 34 min ago view
  • Here's Scully's call on Bryant's 10th-inning homer:

"And it's a long fly ball, a mean fly ball, and a gone fly ball."

VirginiaPhil 18 hours 47 min ago view
  • When the Cubs were the old, hundred-year Cubs, one bad hop did not undo their opponents.

VirginiaPhil 18 hours 51 min ago view
  • If only he was clutcher. More clutcher.

Jackstraw 20 hours 10 min ago view
  • cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.

crunch 1 day 3 hours ago view