Leaver It to a Beaver to Rally A's to Victory
With his team down 4-3 with two outs in the bottom of the 8th, Ryan Ortiz ripped a two-run HR over the LF fence to give the EXST Athletics the lead and eventually the victory, as the EXST Cubs were edged 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Connie Mack Field at the Papago Sports Complex in Phoenix.
The A’s 2009 6th round draft pick out of Oregon State (where he was a teammate of Cubs infielder Darwin Barney on the 2007 CWS champion Beavers), Ortiz is at Extended Spring Training rehabbing from an injury suffered in Minor League Camp.
The Cubs offensive star of the day was 2B Pin-Chieh Chen, who reached base four times (three singles and a walk) and scored twice.
Conversely, Kyung-Min Na had a bad day all around, striking out four times (that’s the ol’ “Golden Sombrero,” folks) and dropping a fly ball in CF for a two-base error.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Kyung-Min Na, CF: 0-5 (K, 6-4 FC+E-4, K, K, K, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd TIME THROUGH BATTING ORDER
2. Dustin Harrington, SS: 0-3 (E-5, 5-3, F-9)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 3rd and 5th TIMES THROUGH BATTING ORDER
3. Jesus Morelli, RF: 1-5 (K, P-3, 6-3, 1B, 6-3, RBI)
4a. Chad Noble, C: 1-4 (6-3, 4-3, 2B, 1-3)
4b. Brian Inoa, C: 0-1 (F-7)
5. Pin-Chieh Chen, 2B: 3-4 (1B, BB, F-7, 1B, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 1-4 (1B, E-4, 5-3, 3-6 FC, R)
6b. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
7a. Blair Springfield, LF: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, BB, RBI)
7b. Eduardo Gonzalez, LF: 0-0 (BB)
8. Max Kwan, DH: 2-5 (2B, K, 2B, K, P-3, 2 RBI)
9a. Vismeldy Bieneme, 3B: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, K)
9b. Gregori Gonzalez, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
1. Luis Liria: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 51 pitches (27 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
2. Austin Reed: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 54 pitches (26 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Willengton Cruz: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 11 pitches (8 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
CF Kyung-Min Na E8 – dropped fly ball allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely
Chad Noble: 0-1 CS, 1 PO
LF Eduardo Gonzalez threw out batter-runner 7-4 trying to stretch single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny and breezy with temperatures in the 80’s
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.
Contreras seems pretty adamant he'll play anywhere Madden wants him to so as long as he stays hot and with all the injuries it'll be pretty nice to have yet another bat Madden can move around.
Rizzo in, Zobrist out, Willson in LF, Montero back and Almora batting 9th ... let's score some runs
Time for Mr. Oh to get some save chances.
Rosenthal does it again! Comes in with a 3-1 lead in the 9th -- double, BB, HR...ballgame.
Very nice win last nice -- could have caved in after the bottom of the first. It would be OK if guys stopped getting hurt, and if SF would lose a few.