And the Cubs 2012 Opening Day Lineup Will Be...

vs. Stephen Strasburg

• *David DeJesus, RF
  • Darwin Barney, 2B
  • Starlin Castro, SS
  • *Bryan LaHair, 1B
  • Alfonso Soriano, LF
  • *Ian Stewart, 3B
  • Marlon Byrd, CF
  • Geovany Soto, C
  • Ryan Dempster, P

I already hate Sveum. Although Barney is smacking the ball in spring training, I suppose riding out the hot streak isn't that awful. Of course so has Soto lately and they're burying him 8th again.

The more things change something something....

Comments

released by Giants.

My opening day lineup would have been Dejesus, Castro, Soto, LaHair, Soriano, Stewart, Byrd, Barney, Garza.

I care John. I care.

Thanks, pal!

Is Soto really as good as we (I) think he is?

Barney 2011 276/313/354 (271/310/345 career)
Soto 2011 228/310/411 (258/348/455 career)

Sure Soto has had some pretty good seasons, but I am not sure he is quite hitter I imagine him to be.

well we know how good he can be.

and it's an even year, that's science right there.

I don't mind moving lineups around to try and maximize hot and cold streaks, just hope Sveum is quick to adjust. You know chances are Barney will fade and fade quick, hope he reacts quickly. And if Soto does hit this year, get him out of the 8th spot quick.

Agreed. I am certainly on the Soto is a good hitter bandwagon, but part of me thinks that I am overrating him.

To Wes' post below, you don't want a team were Soto is your 2nd or 4th best hitter.

Barney has faded every single year that he has been in the major leagues.

One is certainly a large enough sample to make a firm decision on future trends.

barney's noticably bigger this year...he's been in the weight room.

that said, he still seems to be the singles-hitting, no-walk, will-put-ball-in-play guy he was last year. maybe he'll find a few more doubles on gap hits or a few more homers.

btw, saw him play some really fluid SS this spring on TV on a couple of occasions. it seems he's very comfortable there...showed some good footwork. small sample size and all, but having all winter off + not playing SS for a while...well, he looked good.

Reminds when theriot put on the muscle. same result

Are the results in already?

just the ones in my narrow mind

He was a slick fielding SS in College. Did you catch him in the CWS?

i avoid metal bat baseball like the plague...well not really, but i don't watch a lot of it. i probably watch more little league WS than college WS. =p

i was just surprised how comfortable he was given how little he plays.

hahaha, I care too!!

Cheers,
Veronica ;)

Hey let's bat our 2nd and 4th best hitters 7th and 8th! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

God. This lineup sucks ass.

I like Marlon Byrd in the 7 hole, oh wait, I don't like Marlon Byrd as a hitter.

Campana to Iowa per Muskat

@CarrieMuskat: Tony Campana headed to IowaCubs but expects to be back in big leagues

Bruce Levine tweets...

@ESPNChiCubs: Being told De La Cruz is now in minor-league camp. No official announcement. Safe to assume no Opening Day for him.

I didn't see him there.

lame spring for Cubs ST on TV...only a few WGN games, mostly (or all?) weekend games. MLB Network has been too busy drooling over NYY/NYM/PHI/ANA/LAD nutsacks. i think i've seen about 10 ANA games this spring on MLB Network. they did show some early-March games (mostly rebroadcasts), but it's been thin for a few weeks.

j.moyer expected to be announced as COL's #5 starter tonight or this weekend...yeeeeees.

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Thanks crunch!!

It's mesmerizing

jacos 1 hour 42 min ago view
  • 5 HR in his last 5 games (3, 1 run...1, 2 run)

sure, 3 HR were in colorado, but 2 were in night games in SD. that evens out somehow.

• Good work!

John Beasley 4 hours 4 min ago view
  • crunch 10 hours 42 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 10 hours 42 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 11 hours 15 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 11 hours 39 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 21 hours 47 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk