Game 69 Thread - Wells vs. Danks

Viciedo, LF
*Valbuena, 3B
Ramirez, SS
Johnson, RF
#Escobar, 3B
*Campana, LF

News was light today, the AZL Cubs did put out their initial roster which included Dillon Maples, Dan Vogelbach, Trevor Gretzky, Pierce Johnson and Paul Blackburn to name a few...Arizona Phil should have some fun. Chris Archer is making his major league debut for the Rays tonight, and promptly gave up 3 runs, 2 earned in the first inning on 3 hits.

Comments

Levine says Baltimore scouting Cubs
Could be Dempster/Soriano package

Brian Roberts!!!!

Cubs aren't getting Bundy or Machado from them and it gets pretty boring after that. Maybe Matusz as aaronb mentioned.

It's going to happen sooner or later.

Archer settled down after the first, down 3-2 at the moment in the 4th.

6 IP, 7 K, 1 BB, 3 R, 2 ER so far for Archer.

Has retired last 11 in a row.

Nice debut.

Add Trey Lang to the group of Cubs signees, 6th round pick.

Probably an Arizona Phil question, but any word on which players have been cut with the new signees coming into the fold?

leadoff triple...followed by 3 quick outs without the runner even having a chance to score.

classic cubbery.

Nice - at least they're consistent (see DeJesus leadoff triple from yesterday).

WSox announcers getting on Castro on triple saying he stopped running and it would have been an inside the park HR if Campana was running.

Strange assessment but I didn't see the play.

Of course the 3,4,5 hitters can't bring him home.

Yaz would have circled the bases twice

I too was annoyed that he was watching the play behind him rather than his 3b coach. He was literally running while staring almost backwards.

But I don't think that he gets home on that play.

Saw the play. Think it's mostly just piling on due to his reputation and past sins. Could he have run faster? I suppose. Did he run like 99% of major leaguers would have? Yep. At least when watching it I didn't think otherwise.

I think that's right. I also can't figure out why so many major leaguers watch the plays instead of looking for the base coaches, and why aren't the managers/coaches getting on them to just pay attention to the coaches (who should be the ones watching the plays)?

After watching the replay, I agree that the assessment seems strange, even if it were Campana running at full speed. I mean you have 0 outs and 3, 4, and 5 hitters coming up, so why chance it?

Sigh.

Cause Hawk is analyzing.

Can't wait until he has an aneurysm in the booth.

Even the Sox fans on WSCR realize Hawk is terrible. They openly prefer Len & Bob for the crosstown games.

It was the radio guys.

Point still stands on Hawk though.

DJ & Ed Farmer are equally shitty, imo. WSCR, of course, didn't complain about the Sox radio guys.

yeah, I don't care for them. They seem to not like to actually announce what's happening for the other team. They just kind of moan and say it under their breaths.

Was John Rooney their guy during the World Series run? I think he does Cardinals games now....I like him quite a bit.

Yes, Rooney was play-by-play and Farmer was the color man. Rooney was let go immediately afterwards -- which may explain the long White Sox World Series drought since 2005. It's the Rooney curse!

another year, another player cut up by a bat flying apart...coleman got just the pointy end of a shard on the mound.

len says he's okay...in dugout...seems he caught mostly barrel.

Kevin [email protected]_Goldstein
Not a big believer. RT @paullisowski: @Kevin_Goldstein Your impressions of Brooks Raley? #Cubs

Rooney asked to go because he's from St. Louis and wanted to broadcast for his home team. He was just another mercenary until then...but clearly better than the other untalent.

Thanks for the additional info, Dr. H. I wasn't aware.

Kind of odd...shows you we don't really care, but

The thread title is Wells vs Danks

Danks has been on the DL for months. Gavin Floyd who has sucked most of this season just shut the Cubs out. Back to the quest for the first round draft pick.

unless Jordan Danks is the one who beat us from the outfield?

And did you know the logo doesn't show up? It links to file\\\, so I thought maybe you see the logo on your computer just fine and don't realize that we can't see the TCR logo on the header bar. If it's a known issue, fine, it doesn't really bother me... just thought I would mention it in case you didn't know.

for some reason I've always mixed up Danks and Floyd.

Yeah, me too. Don't know why.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 13 hours 17 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 13 hours 45 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 21 hours 15 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 12 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 12 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 12 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 12 hours ago view