Martin & Hodges Are Batman 1-A & 1-B in 10-8 Cubs Victory
Trey Martin laced three doubles (one line-drive into the LF corner, one line-drive off the left-field fence, and one line drive into the left-center alley), walked, drove-in two runs, and scored another, Jesse Hodges singled twice, doubled, collected two RBI, and scored twice, and Michael Wagner threw three innings of one-hit shutout ball, as the Cubs outlasted the Angels 10-8 in AZ Instructional League action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa.
Martin also commited two tactical baserunning gaffes as the result of being over-aggressive, making the third out at 3rd base in the bottom of the 3rd inning while trying to stretch one of his doubles into a triple, and then getting thrown out 6-5 trying to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base on a routine ground ball to the SS in the bottom of the 6th.
The lanky 20-year old from Georgia missed most of the 2013 season after undergoing shoulder surgery (non-throwing shoulder) in April, and he is just now rounding back into playing shape. Known more as a defensive whiz than an offensive force, Martin has been driving the ball with authority throughout Instructs, a possible indication that the chronic shoulder problem he had may have kept him from reaching his full potential as a hitter.
Cubs 2013 19th round draft pick Will Remillard (Coastal Carolina U.) made his professional game debut today, serving as a DH and going 1-3 with a single and an HBP. Remillard signed with the Cubs right at the July deadline (receiving a $150K "overslot" bonus), but was unable to play during the minor league regular season because of a back injury. FWIW, Remillard was Josh Conway's catcher in college (Conway was the Cubs 4th round draft pick in 2012, and is presently rehabbing from a fractured elbow suffered in an EXST game last May).
RHP (ex-OF) Johermyn Chavez got hammered in his one inning of work, allowing three runs on two doubles, a triple, a single, and a walk. Chavez was converted to a pitcher this past Summer and will be a Rule 55 minor league free-agent (so-called "six-year minor league free-agent") after the World Series, unless he & the Cubs agree to a 2014 minor league successor contract in the meantime.
Kirby Pellant tripled, singled, walked, and scored two runs for the Angels in a losing cause.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 2B, 3-U, 4-3, R)
2. Will Remillard, DH #1: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, HBP, K)
3. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-6, BB, R, SB)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (E-5, 6-4 FC, F-9, P-3, 2 R, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 6-4 FC, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
6. Trey Martin, LF: 3-3 (2B, 2B, 2B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
7. Jordan Hankins, DH #2: 1-3 (F-7 SF, 1B, K, K, R, RBI)
8. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, 6-5 FC, L-9, R)
9. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (1B, F-9 SF, BB, E-6, R, 2 RBI, SB)
10a. Mark Malave, C: 1-2 (K, 1B)
10b. Erick Castillo, C: 2-2 (1B, 1B, 2 RBI, CS)
1. Michael Wagner: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/5 GO/FO, 36 pitches (25 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 41 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Erick Leal: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 4/3 GO/FO, 29 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Johermyn Chavez: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 25 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Trey Lang: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (two-base throwing error on relay throw to 2nd base on RBI double allowed batter to score unearned run)
2. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Mark Malave: 0-1 CS
2. Erick Castillo: 1-1 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - threw out baserunner 9-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
cubs win...bryant with 7HR in his last 8 games.
bryant 2nd HR of the night for a 2 run lead in the 10th? sure, why not. awesome.
gawd...jansen's thrown 5 pitches in the past 5 minutes.
wild pitch (and a K, boo) with heyward advancing! 1 out, heyward on 3rd.
HEYWARD SCORES ON A 2nd WILD PITCH! TIE!
leadoff double (heyward!) top of the 9th...RALLY!
carlos ruiz is still coming up to "in the air tonight" by phil 'are you kidding me' collins in LA.
many years ago before phil collins it was a soulja boy song.
dude has odd taste in music. at least it's not yanni...i guess.
Funniest skybox ever
Schwarber is worse right?
rizzo is tired of SD/LA night games...yet another towering one that died on the warning track.
Vin's been around
Monty dropped a two strike curve on AGon
See I told you they were up to no good
My guy Addy
Vin and '84 legends