Lake Takes the Plunge at Riverview Park
Junior Lake collected five hits (four singles and a double), stole two bases, and scored two runs, Welington Castillo reached base four times on three walks and a single, and Dustin Geiger singled twice, doubled, and drove-in four runs, in Cactus League Minor League action this afternoon at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
The Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affliate) hammered the Chattanooga Lookouts (Dodgers AA affiliate) 10-4 on Field #3, while the Albuquerque Isotopes (LAD AAA affiliate) edged the Iowa Cubs 4-3 on Field #6.
Lake and Castillo moved back & forth between the two fields, each working as an extra DH and taking an AB whenever the opportunity arose. Lake managed eight Plate Appearances between the two games, and Castillo had six.
Cubs #1 pitching prospect RHP C. J. Edwards got the start for Tennessee on Field #3, and he allowed one run on three hits (two singles and a double) and a walk, with five strikeouts and a 6/0 GO/FO in 3.2 IP (67 pitches).
Recently returned from the Arizona Diamondbacks (who had selected him the Major League Phase of the December 2013 Rule 5 Draft), RHRP Marcos Mateo threw a dominating 9th inning on Field #3 (two strikeouts and a broken bat 5-3 GO) to seal the victory for the Smokies.
LHP Eric Jokisch got the start for the I-Cubs, and allowed two runs (one earned) on two hits (a single and a double) and four walks in 5.2 IP (78 pitches). He also struck out seven and induced two DP grounders along the way, using his quality off-speed stuff to keep Isoptope hitters off-balance. Albuquerque plated their two runs off Jokisch on a bases-loaded walk and a two-out RBI double.
Carlos Pimentel "piggy-backed" with Jokisch and worked 3.1 IP, allowing two runs (both earned) on four hits (three singles and a triple) and two walks. He struck out four, with a 2/4 GO/FO.
Kris Bryant went 0-3 for Tennessee, striking out (swinging) his first two times up, and then popping out to the first-baseman in foul territory in his final AB.
Arismendy Alcantara played SS and batted 3rd for Iowa, and he struck out all three times up, first two times swinging, and last time looking.
Though assigned to the Tennessee squad, Dan Vogelbach was the Iowa DH, and he went 0-3 in the game, grounding into a 4-6-3 DP and then striking out twice (both times swinging).
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
X-1 Junior Lake, DH #1: 2-2 (1B, 1B, R, SB)
NOTE: Lake hit lead-off in the bottom of the 1st and 2nd innings
X-2 Welington Castillo, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, 1B, F-8, BB, 2 R)
NOTE: W. Castillo hit 2nd in the bottom of the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th innings
1. Zeke Devoss, CF: 1-4 (2B, K, K, 4-3, R)
2. Stephen Bruno, DH #3: 1-4 (1B, F-8, K, E-9, 2 R, RBI, SB)
3a. Kris Bryant, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, P-3)
3b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-1 (1B, R, RBI)
4. Dustin Geiger, 1B: 3-4 (1B, 1B, K, 2B, 2 R, 4 RBI)
5. Jeudy Valdez, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, BB, F-7, R)
6. Walter Ibarra, SS: 2-4 (K, 1B, 6-3, 3B, 2 RBI, CS)
7a. Chadd Krist, C: 0-2 (K, K)
7b. Lance Rymel, C: 1-2 (2B, K, RBI)
8. Bijan Rademacher, RF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-8)
9. Pin-Chieh Chen, LF: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
1. C. J. Edwards: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 6/0 GO/FO, 67 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Jeff Lorick: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 30 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Tony Zych: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Al Yevoli: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (23 strikes)
5. Marcos Mateo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 14 pitches (11 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
SS Walter Ibarra - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Chadd Krist: 0-1 CS
X-1. Welington Castillo, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 6-3, BB)
NOTE: W. Castillo hit 2nd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings
X-2. Junior Lake, DH #2: 3-6 (1B, K, K, F-8, 2B, 1B, R, SB)
NOTE: Lake hit lead-off in the bottom of the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th innings
1. Matt Szczur, LF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, P-3, CS)
2. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-2 (K, 3-U, BB)
3. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Jonathan Mota, 3B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, BB, R, SB)
5. Rubi Silva, RF: 0-3 (4-1, K, K)
6. Dan Vogelbach, DH #3: 0-3 (4-6-3 DP, K, K)
7. John Andreoli, CF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B, R, RBI)
8. Lars Anderson, 1B: 1-3 (P-4, P-2, 1B, 2 RBI)
9a. Rafael Lopez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
9b. Luis Flores, C: 0-1 (BB, P-3)
1. Eric Jokisch: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 7/3 GO/FO, 78 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Carlos Pimentel: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/4 GO/FO, 53 pitches (36 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jonathon Mota - E-5 (fielding error allowede batterto reach base safely)
2. 2B Logan Watkins - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reeach base safely)
3. C Luis Flores - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Rafael Lopez: 0-1 CS
2. Luis Flores: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.