Rich Hill Deal Completed

As expected, the deal to move Rich Hill to the Baltimore Orioles has gone down for the very important player to be named later. Let's hope it's another Kevin Hart. The report is coming out of ESPN1000 and the Cubs version of Ken Rosenthal...Bruce Levine.

Comments

Has nothing to do with this post, but since there have been numerous discussions lately about the Cubs farm system and draft history, I thought you might all be interested in this article at Hardball Times:

It's an analysis of the general productivity of position players vs. pitchers in the earliest rounds of the draft--and it concludes that drafting position players early makes the most sense according to the numbers. Bobby Brownlie and Mark Pawelek concur. Tyler Colvin isn't sure yet.

Bye Rich Hill...had one decent season anyway...

I have to believe the point of this trade is for past or future favors. Hill wasn't sharp last year, but he could very well pitch major league ball this year and what we'll get in return will likely be a dime-a-dozen low-level prospect at best.

pie..hill..cedeno...bye

140m payroll with little expectations from the minors beyond SP/RP...hello.

welcome to boston.

Dustin Pedroia says hi

i can see hanley ramirez from my house.

21ip 23h 23bb 16K 7wp

what a winter...bye hill.

Why not keep Hill into spring training? He certainly couldn't do any worse and if he does well, we could get more or even keep him. It is being reported that we will only get a low level prospect. I don't understand this move at this time. Also, why are we helping McPhail when he screwed us around all last off season over Roberts? I understand that Hill's pitching coach is with Baltimore, but all the more reason why we should have gotten more than a presumed low level prospect. I know it is for a player to be named later, but I think the parameters for the player are not that great.

hill's value is probably toileted in reality.

there's not much to build on after a horrible minor league send-down followed by an inexcusably bad winter.

the chances of his value rising when ST rolls around and lou/etc. have to find work for everyone is pretty low...especially since hendry/lou/etc. seem to want Samninja starting some games this spring.

Wasn't it Angelos who refused to part with Roberts?

I remember Angelos killing the deal...you are correct.

If people are really going to question losing Hill for a low level prospect, I propose this questions...Do you really not think his curve ball and mediocre fast ball are replaceable?

Good luck Rich. If you come back, that will be a great story...but I sure don't want to sit around watching you walk every mediocre batter when we play Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.

i think what killed the deal was the Cubs not wanting to include Felix Pie along with 3 or 4 other prospects (including Sean Gallagher). All the reports out of Baltimore were that the deal never got to Angelos.

hill has a very low chance of ever regaining his form. And even then, didn't he only have like 2 pitches? He's completely screwed up in the head now. Can't hit water if he fell out of a f'ing boat.

And helping McPhail? Seriously? All I've gotta say is that I'd be super pissed if I were an Orioles fan. My GM has a man crush on his shitty prospects he had back in the day that all flopped with the Cubs. If I were the owner I'd be writing McPhail an email.. Dear McPhail, you are hereby banned from calling Jim Hendry without written permission.

new post up, Wuertz traded to A's

Agreed TJ...exactly what i was saying last few days. If we got the perverbial PTBNL wouldn't it be more of an upside to find out if he sucks in spring training and get the PTBNL later...it's going to be bad news if he turns it around in spring training and Harden gets hurt oh wait he is..or Dempster becomes a pumpkin again!

Good luck to Hill, IMO he wasn't worth a spot on the 40 man given his poor performances in 2008 (demoted all the way to rookie ball) and terrible winter ball results (pelted with trash in Latin America.) I wouldn't put him on a par with Sudden Sam McDowell in terms of potential but it sure would be a sad thing to waste if it turns out that way.

• crunch 2 hours 32 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 2 hours 33 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 3 hours 6 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 3 hours 29 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 13 hours 38 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 13 hours 47 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 6 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.