Cubs Extended Spring Training In Overdrive
Brandon May reached base four times, scored four runs, and drove-in two more, Jonathan Mota knocked-in three runs, and Charles Thomas had three hits, leading the EXST Cubs to a 15-7 drubbing of the EXST Giants at Fitch Park Field #3 this morning in Mesa.
Today was Cactus League Extended Spring Training (EXST) Opening Day in the Valley of the Sun, as the EXST Cubs played the first of 38 games they will be playing over the next eight weeks.
The Cubs Extended Spring Training squad consists of 50 players (40 active players plus ten more on injury rehab assignments). The Cubs EXST squad is managed by Boise manager Jody Davis, with AZL Cubs manager Juan Cabreja assisting Jo-DEE. Jeff Fassero and Rick Tronerud are the pitching coaches, and Ricardo Medina and Desi Wilson are the hitting coaches.
In addition to the hitting heroics by May, Mota, and Thomas, 20-year old Dominican RHP Luis Liria used his plus change-up to strike out six Giant hitters in three innings of work in relief, and side-armin’ LHP James Leverton struck out all four men he faced. RHP David Patton (who was up with the Cubs for much of last season) threw one inning, striking out the last two men he faced (both looking). Both Leverton and Patton were assigned to Extended Spring Training after they fell behind other pitchers in Minor League Camp, but both now look about ready to get their Letter of Transit out of Arizona.
Jonathan Mota is at Extended Spring Training learning the art of catching, something he just started doing at Minor League Camp last month. He will get assigned to a full-season squad once he gets more experience behind the plate. (Mota is eligible to be a Rule 55 Minor League FA post-2010).
Also, 21-year old outfielder Albert Hernandez (295/397/440 for DSL Cubs #1 in 2009) has arrived at Fitch Park from the Dominican Academy and was in the lineup today. (He did not report to Minor League Camp last month with the other DSL players who are making their U. S. debut in 2010).
Here is today’s abridged box score (EXST Cubs players only):
1. Francisco Guzman, CF: 2-5 (6-3, 3-1, 1B, 1B, 3-U, 2 R, 2 RBI)
2. Arismendy Alcantara, SS: 2-5 (K, 1B, E-5, 3B, 6-3, 2 R, RBI)
3. Bobby Wagner, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, F-8 SF, 3-U, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Brandon May, 3B: 2-3 (BB, 1B, 1B, 4-3, BB, 4 R, 2 RBI)
5. Charles Thomas, DH #1: 3-5 (F-8, 1B+E9, 1B, 6-3, 1B, R, RBI)
6a. Jonathan Mota, C-2B: 2-4 (K, E-6, 2B, 2B, 3 RBI)
6b. Wes Darvill, PH-2B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
7. Albert Hernandez, RF: 1-5 (2B, 1-3, 6-3, K, F-9, R, RBI)
8a. D. J. Fitzgerald, DH #2: 2-3 (2B, K, BB, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
8b. Jae-Hoon Ha, C: 0-1 (6-3)
9a. Cody Shields, LF: 0-3 (E-1, K, K, R)
9b. Runey Davis, LF: 0-1 (1-3, HBP)
10a. Rafael Disla, 2B-DH: 2-4 (2B, 4-3, 1B, 3-U, R, 2 RBI, SB)
10b. Carlos Romero, PH: 0-1 (K)
1. John Mincone – 2.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 5/2 GO/FO, 47 pitches (30 strikes)
2. David Patton – 1.0 IP, 1 H 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Luis Liria – 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 56 pitches (40 strikes)
4. James Leverton – 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Rogelio Carmona - 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 10 pitches (6 strikes)
SS Arismendy Alcantara E-6 (two-base throwing error resulted in unearned run scoring)
Jonathan Mota: 0-2 CS
Jae-Hoon Ha: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
Francisco Guzman: Doubled runner off 1st base 8-6-3
ATTENDANCE: 4 (includes Giants bus driver)
WEATHER: Warm & VERY breezy
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.