TCR Friday Notes and a Call for Help
- Cubbery at its finest:
As Lee and Baker were mobbed by teammates in the dugout, relief pitcher Angel Guzman
slapped the side of Lee's helmet, causing Lee to experience neck spasms
that forced him to come out of the game for defense in the bottom of
- Rich Harden is shutting it down for the year, a mutual decision between him and the club. The tone of the article sounds like there isn't much interest by either party in reuniting beyond this season. Fine by me, but will the Cubs offer arbitration?
- Wittenmyer has a rundown of the Cubs rotation down the stretch.
Fri-Sun @ Giants: Zambrano vs Lincecum tonight, then Gorzelanny and Wells.
Tues-Thurs vs. Pittsburgh: Dempster, Lilly and Z for the doubleheader on Wednesday, then Gorzelanny
Fri-Sun vs. Arizona: Samardzija, Wells and Dempster.
- Fangraphs takes a shot at Tyler Colvin, misrepresenting that he was sent down to start the year, although it was actually because he was still rehabbing his elbow and Daytona uses a DH. Nonetheless I have to agree he's nothing more than a fringe prospect. If they can't get Felix Pie to work out, I don't see Colvin having much of a shot. Fangraphs also ran a piece on some of the recent Korean signings by the Cubs with Hak-Ju Lee leading the way.
- The Cubs sale inches closer to completion with bankruptcy court approving the deal. The Cubs will enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy on October 12th as part of the deal with an approval hearing on October 13th. They hope to have the owners approval by then. According to the Trib article, the first opportunity by the MLB owners to vote will be October 5th.
- Milton's signing is in the running for worst contract of the offseason over at MLBTR.
- Don't forget to join the fun at The Bear Truth, hopefully we can get a crowd for Parachat during the game.
- We're going to be doing a slightly more involved upgrade here at TCR once the season ends and I could use some help testing out the site. If anyone has some time next week to bombard the test site comments and check it out at a scheduled time, let me know. What that time is yet I don't know, but probably near game time of one of the Cubs/Pirates games next week.
- A lot of folks were upset over Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame acceptance speech. It certainly wasn't the most gracious thing I ever heard, but at least it wasn't boring. Name how many Hall of Fame basketball, football or baseball speeches anyone ever remembers? Now granted I'd pay more attention to an MJ speech over most players, but it was indeed memorable and certainly fit the character of the player many of us grew up watching and sadly idolizing. Joe Posnanski and Jason Whitlock have good articles justifying the speech if you're interested.
Why am I writing about the Bulls and MJ? Because this abomination of a Cubs season is still going on. Hell, they made me starts a Bears blog.
peralta (and maddon) owes zobrist a coke.
The Reds bullpen -- statistically one of the worst in the history of baseball -- has no-hit the Cubs for 7 innings. That just sucks.
Nice inning from Carl Edwards Jr - two straight quality appearances for a pen that could use it.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Heyward; Baez, J 2; Bryant.
Arrieta pitches like crap and gets a W, Lester pitches brilliantly and doesn't. Baseball!
Man, have we been giving up a lot of 2-out runs lately. C'mon Hector -- Eugenio Suarez??? Sheesh.
0-2 HBP = Cubbery
Shit throw by Szczur...
Nice to have a ROB G. bustin' a move with the posts.
Tony Gold Glove!!!
To have Billy Hamilton break your shut-out with an HR is like Iceland winnng in soccer.
Hamilton - good grief. Does he have Lester's number or what!
and there it is...
time to sweat it out now.
Yeah - I was waiting for someone else to comment first so they could shoulder the blame should cubbery prevail.
he'd actually have to get through these last 2 innings in 13 or less pitches to pull off an actual Maddux (CG in less than 100 pitches)...and I probably jinxed the whole game with my comment so I'll shut up now.
An efficient one-hitter through seven innings - seems reasonable to me.
Quite the contrast from last night