The Bump and The Grind

This might be a random collection of events, but taking the mound against the Cubs has had it's risks. It dawned on me that we've seen some season ending injuries happen to our opponents pitchers. Coincidence? Or Death Cab for Cutie?

Follow the link to the pitchers who've risked entering the valley of shadows:

Tom Glavine -- He's had two rough starts against the Cubs and immediately landed on the DL each time. His diagnosis is a strained left pitching elbow, supposedly a tear in flexor tendon origin. This second episode occurred after two months of attempted nonsurgical rehab. It almost definitely ends his season and possible starts his 5 year clock to make it to the Hall of Fame. If he ops for surgery at age 42, who knows what else will break down. Glavine had never been on the DL before this season. Father time has finally caught up with him.

Chris Carpenter -- Reinjured his pitching arm last sunday (video link) and is again on the DL. He was matching pitches (with his signature low pitch count) through 5 innings against Ryan Dempster (with his signature high pitch count).  The diagnosis is triceps strain which is the muscle/tendon on the back side of the arm. Basically, it's not his reconstructed collateral ligament but all the anatomy around the elbow is closely related. Given his history the Cardinals need to be very worried about a quick return with only 6 weeks left in the season. This was his third start back after a 1-1/2 years of rehabbing two elbow surgeries including an elbow scope for arthritis followed by a "Tommy John" ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction procedure when it was clear the first surgery had not helped. The Cardinals were counting on their one time "ace" to give them the boost to make the playoffs after the team has played incredibly well given that everyone had written their season off in preseason polls. Now back on the DL, it looks like the redbirds last pitching hope is limited to Adam Wainright's recovery as Carpenter, Mulder and Matt Clement are ticketed for the land of #22 and perpetual rehab.

Yovani Gallardo -- Ripped his ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) on this play during the game May 1st, it was a major blow to the Brewers rotation for at least May and June. The injury subsequently cost the Brewers last years first round draft pick, Matt LaPorta, to replace him with someone even bigger than Prince Fielder. Prince has said that he is Sabathia's "mini-me". Or Fielder at least thinks of Sabathia as one very big potato. Gallardo's injury was a significant timeline change, thus Capt Kirk and Mr. Spock are still looking for McCoy and Joan Collins to rectify things. Gallardo just started light tossing and won't resurface until next spring.

To be honest, this hit list is based on a fairly flimsy argument since Carpenter and Glavine's aging arms were hanging on with duct tape, but still it begs the question: Who's Next?

Comments

Dunno, but I won't get fooled again. No no.

I half-expected that to end: "I'm a surgeon, not a fortune teller." :-)

My mind's tellin' me NOOO.

Buy my body -- my boooddddddy is tellin' me YEEEESSSS!

Wait, I thought it was Chad who sold his body on here?

Their ego's were writing checks their bodies couldn't cash.

The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room.

Considering the type of freakish injuries we've experienced over the years to our front - line starters (whirlpool, baserunning, etc.), I weep not for our opposition's pitching woes. No, if someone would just trip Sabathia on his way to the post - game spread after his next start...

Something else tasteless: http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/27024449.html

Actually, I wouldn't know if it's tasteless or not, but odds of great taste are... not so good.

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

Rob G. 53 min 19 sec ago view
  • When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 1 hour 6 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 1 hour 7 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 1 hour 8 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 1 hour 27 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

Rob G. 1 hour 40 min ago view
  • they're awful

Rob G. 1 hour 42 min ago view
  • I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 1 hour 44 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 2 hours 19 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 3 hours 33 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 5 hours 10 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.