Cubs Tie Up Loose Ends
The Cubs and Giants played to a 1-1 tie this morning at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale, in what was the Cubs final 2010 AZ Instructional League game.
The Cubs finished with a record of 7-9-4 in Instructional League play.
Cubs 2010 7th round draft pick RHP Ben Wells (Bryant HS – Bryant, AR) got the start for the Cubs today, and threw three innings of shutout ball, allowing two hits and no walks, while striking out three. In four Instructs appearances covering 7.1 IP, Wells allowed no runs on three hits and a walk, while striking out eight (0.00 ERA and 0.55 WHIP).
CF Evan Crawford singled in the third inning to extend his Instructs hitting streak to ten games (he hit safely in all ten games in which he played). In the ten games, Crawford hit 385/400/590, with four stolen bases (1 CS), and three strikeouts and no walks in 40 PA. He is probably the fastest player in the Cubs organization. (Crawford was the minor league prospect the Cubs got back from the Giants in the Mike Fontenot trade in August).
And SS Hak-Ju Lee extended his Instructs errorless streak to 11 games (all 11 games in which he played). He also hit 294/368/384 with three stolen bases (1 CS) in those 11 games.
Here is today’s abridged box score (Cubs players only):
1. Evan Crawford, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 6-3, 5-3, RBI)
2. Hak-Ju Lee, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 4-6 FC, 3-U)
3. Sergio Burruel, C-DH: 0-2 (L-5, 4-3, BB, PO)
4. Justin Bour, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, 4-3, BB)
5. Jae-Hoon Ha, RF: 0-3 (E5, F-9, 6-3 GIDP)
6. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-2 (5-3 SH, 1-3, 3-1)
7. Ryan Cuneo, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 4-3)
8. Chris Huseby, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
9. Max Kwan, DH-C: 0-2 (6-3, K, BB, PO)
10. Dustin Geiger, 3B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, 1-3, R)
1. Ben Wells: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 33 pitches (26 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Hunter Ackerman: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 24 pitches (15 strikes), 4/2 GO/FO
3. Austin Reed: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 35 pitches (19 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
4. Alvaro Sosa: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Kevin Rhoderick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 11 pitches (7 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3B Dustin Geiger E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base)
Sergio Burruel: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, with temperatures in the 80’s
Theo was trying to clear the mess that Hendr left
Rick Renteria was a great idea! Seriously! I feel bad for the guy, although it happened the way it had to.
Hey, whatta bout me?
....and Theo thought EJax, Sveum and Ricky were good ideas. Win some, lose some.
I thought he was better than Archer?
/f u Hendry
The Padres signed RHP Trey McNutt to a minor league contract...
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.