Spreading around a little Sports Illustrated Cover jinx...

Not that it happens all the time, but whenever a Cub or couple Cubs somehow make the cover of Sports Illustrated, I feel compelled to visually even out the jinx.

Of course you've seen the Starlin Castro issue of SI, right?

Why would they do that to such a young, innocent kid?
What's wrong with a nice buddy shot of Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman, tearing up the league with their torrid bats? Or home run-hittin' good lookin' enough to be a Calvin Klein underwear model Ryan Braunie in his tricked out Milwaukee hot tub? Did you know Astro Hunter Pence is 4th in the NL with 25 RBIs? He'd be AWESOME on the cover of Sports Illustrated, and the photographer's challenge would be to capture him mid-throw, so we can see his textbook semi shot-put technique.

But leave our guys alone, man.

Anyway, just spreading a little of that jinxy feeling to other, more deserving NL Central teams, I give you another SI swimsuit cover featuring a pale Casey McGehee, a cool and detached Colby Rasmus, and the always engaging Joey Votto.

And now: it's a gorgeous day, it's the Reds at Wrigley, and it's Edinson Volquez vs. Matt Garza fresh off his first Cub W.

Go Cubs.

Comments

+1 as the kids like to say

McGehee looks a lot like Q-Ball in that drawing.

Volquez walks about 5 every inning or something like that, but this will have no effect on today's game.

just cause I had to check, Cubs as a team are 2nd in NL in batting average, 15th in walks, 6th in Slugging, 5th in OBP and OPS but are tied for 10th in runs scored per game.

OPS with Runners On is 14th in NL, 15th with RISP

~sigh~

Obviously they need more speed. Soriano for Pierre?

I was going to go with try not to put your worst hitters in the middle of the lineup behind all the guys getting on-base.

Hmm..the Cubs? We are talking about the Cubs right?

Take your radical talk somewhere else, pinko!

Today's lineup from Len and bob twitter
Kosuke9/Barney4/Castro6/Ramirez5/MLHRldr7/Byrd8/Pena3/Geo2/Garza1

soriano hits 5th...finally.

now if we could get get geo out of the 8 slot...

But he's slow.

b.guyer (TB) called up after tearing up AAA.

s.fuld is 2-35...yow.

We should trade Fukudome for Fuld.

Archer and Chirinos still struggling. Lee looking like he's going to be a top 20 prospect by the end of the year.

Starlin Castro's last ten games: .143 .163 .167 .329
pencil him into the third spot

btw, Geo Soto's last ten: .242 .390 .576 .966

Until Guyer came along, Desmond Jennings thought he was TB's best outfield prospect.

Super two status, look it up

So what you're saying is that they really wanted Jennings, but they're saving him.

That's possible. I just think .356/.412/.606/1.018 trumps .288/.405/.433/.837. Guyer is coming off a much better year, too.

Guyer homers.

Davis likely to be the starter on May 14th

For those who care about this kind of thing.

They should get Leon Durham to join him in the booth.

Parachat bitches

wind blowing out, I feel Garza's HR-less streak is about to end

way to go nostradumass

so sayeth the oracle
3-1

Wrigley is half empty.. so I'm guessing "paid" attendance 35,471

More like 75%, Captain Exaggeration.

you must be seeing double there Captain Morgan.

You must have only turned the game on after the seventh inning when the wind shifted and it started raining a little. I was at the game, maybe on your 13 inch tv it didn't look crowded because half of the crowd was 16 or younger, and they are small.

Yet Koyie Hill continues to be employed?

I think he was hitting like Koyie Hill