So Prince Fielder is Going to Be a Dodger

The news broke last night that MLB and Frank McCourt came to an agreement to sell the Dodgers...possibly at gun point. That's real good news for baseball and Dodger fans that truly couldn't stand the guy. That's bad news if you thought any bargains were going to be had in free agency for the big names. For let's remember the Cubs offseason of 2006 when they were ready to sell and Tribune racked up a giant bill that they didn't have to pay.

Rumors on XM radio and from Ned Colletti were that the Dodgers already had some money to spend this offseason, agent and former player Dave Stewart commented that they approached him about an extension for Matt Kemp and he took that as they're not as handcuffed as some want to believe. And they very much need a big bopper in that lineup and I wouldn't be too surprised if they made a run at Jose Reyes as well.  Anything can happen of course and they may go after Pujols instead, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least that McCourt makes one more fame grab and tries to load up the Dodgers this offseason and then take as much credit as he can if they're successful, even after he sells it.

Comments

the M's angrily disagree.

don't get it.

M's are/were supposedly who was going to throw 20-25m at him

ah, well a bunch of teams will throw money at him, McCourt is now in the unique position of not having to worry about the backend years which is usually the concern in free agency.

as long as the cubs get david dejesus and kevin slowey it don't matter what anyone does...cubs 2012 champs.

Roy Oswalt has 2 degenerative discs in his back and numerous cortisone shots over the last 2 years.

Kevin Slowey a likely non-tender candidate.

seems like Aramis should take 3b easily...maybe Fat Panda although his counting numbers weren't that close.

a lot of news outlets are falling over themselves about aram giving the cubs a "gift" by not picking up his option and how he won't see money like what he left behind, even if just for 1 season.

they're also equally confused about why he didn't want to be traded in order to build his visibility for the offseason FA hunt...

Arte Moreno - I received this telegram about an Aramis Rameriez?
Anyone hear of him?

No? okay I m on the next stage to Carson City

I haven't really seen anything like that. Seems more likley he'll get a three year $42 million deal.

ive seen it on the tv-side, mostly...mlb network and espn talking heads, especially mlb network (multiple people/programs).

Ahh, OK. Haven't watched them recently, though their hot stove shows are usually worth watching just to get some players and Hart's take on stuff.

It just takes one. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get more guaranteed money, but I'd agree he's not likley to get a raise from $16 million and a three year deal.

im ashamed to say i love "intentional talk" and kevin millar's corny self...

Reyes and the Dodgers? I'd be a tad surprised. Dee Gordon is ready for an extended look. I could see them pushing on Fielder, but they have a good talent that's ready for a look at short.

I'd be surprised too...but if they go nuts it's certainly possible.

• 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 8 hours 8 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 8 hours 36 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 16 hours 5 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view
  • great defense

Heyward, Russell, Baez, Bryant, Ross in particular...although Bryant's a bit hard to judge with all the positions.

Fowler and Rizzo in the top half of the NL for their positions as well (per fangraphs)...Zobrist right at the halfway cutoff for 2b in the NL.

I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.

Rob G. 1 day 7 hours ago view