So Prince Fielder is Going to Be a Dodger

The news broke last night that MLB and Frank McCourt came to an agreement to sell the Dodgers...possibly at gun point. That's real good news for baseball and Dodger fans that truly couldn't stand the guy. That's bad news if you thought any bargains were going to be had in free agency for the big names. For let's remember the Cubs offseason of 2006 when they were ready to sell and Tribune racked up a giant bill that they didn't have to pay.

Rumors on XM radio and from Ned Colletti were that the Dodgers already had some money to spend this offseason, agent and former player Dave Stewart commented that they approached him about an extension for Matt Kemp and he took that as they're not as handcuffed as some want to believe. And they very much need a big bopper in that lineup and I wouldn't be too surprised if they made a run at Jose Reyes as well.  Anything can happen of course and they may go after Pujols instead, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least that McCourt makes one more fame grab and tries to load up the Dodgers this offseason and then take as much credit as he can if they're successful, even after he sells it.

Comments

the M's angrily disagree.

don't get it.

M's are/were supposedly who was going to throw 20-25m at him

ah, well a bunch of teams will throw money at him, McCourt is now in the unique position of not having to worry about the backend years which is usually the concern in free agency.

as long as the cubs get david dejesus and kevin slowey it don't matter what anyone does...cubs 2012 champs.

Roy Oswalt has 2 degenerative discs in his back and numerous cortisone shots over the last 2 years.

Kevin Slowey a likely non-tender candidate.

seems like Aramis should take 3b easily...maybe Fat Panda although his counting numbers weren't that close.

a lot of news outlets are falling over themselves about aram giving the cubs a "gift" by not picking up his option and how he won't see money like what he left behind, even if just for 1 season.

they're also equally confused about why he didn't want to be traded in order to build his visibility for the offseason FA hunt...

Arte Moreno - I received this telegram about an Aramis Rameriez?
Anyone hear of him?

No? okay I m on the next stage to Carson City

I haven't really seen anything like that. Seems more likley he'll get a three year $42 million deal.

ive seen it on the tv-side, mostly...mlb network and espn talking heads, especially mlb network (multiple people/programs).

Ahh, OK. Haven't watched them recently, though their hot stove shows are usually worth watching just to get some players and Hart's take on stuff.

It just takes one. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get more guaranteed money, but I'd agree he's not likley to get a raise from $16 million and a three year deal.

im ashamed to say i love "intentional talk" and kevin millar's corny self...

Reyes and the Dodgers? I'd be a tad surprised. Dee Gordon is ready for an extended look. I could see them pushing on Fielder, but they have a good talent that's ready for a look at short.

I'd be surprised too...but if they go nuts it's certainly possible.

• been like that everytime I've been there too including Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium. Cubs travel well. It was pretty loud for Angels/Cubs this year and decent for Dodgers/Cubs but Dodger fans definitely turn out better than the Padre fans.

• When I went in the 2007-2008 range, it was at least 75% Cubs fans.

blockhead25 2 hours 25 min ago view
  • Jeff Sullivan on Kris Bryant's lack of clutch hitting in 2016. Very good stuff, unsatisfying conclusion (it's probably random).

John Beasley 2 hours 26 min ago view
  • I was at Tuesday's game in San Diego. It looked like half of Chicago was at Petco. We were much louder than Padres fans.

BobbyD 2 hours 27 min ago view
  • We may have a chance to catch one in October. Although hell, I couldn't deal with my co-workers if we lose to them.

blockhead25 2 hours 47 min ago view
  • think I have to miss this series too (also was at the Arrieta game last year). But in my case, just had a busy weekend with work and kids have a bunch of activities and we made it to Opening Day in Anaheim and a couple of games in Wrigley this year which we normally don't get too...so not feeling like I'm missing out this year.

Rob G. 3 hours 15 sec ago view
  • they're awful

• I hope the Cubs play three good teams.

Jackstraw 3 hours 4 min ago view
  • First year I'm not going to a Cubs/Dodgers game in a long time. 4 month old baby kinda changes plans around. But the no-hitter I was at last year can last in the memory banks for awhile.

I think Dodger Dogs are awful. I love hot dogs, but those are crap.

blockhead25 3 hours 39 min ago view
  • ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.

• I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.

• If my math is correct, if the Cubs play .500 baseball for the rest of the season, they will finish with 99 wins. I only just confirmed through Baseball Reference that 97 wins last year (and 2008) were the most Cubs wins in my lifetime. I think that last year while Arrieta was pitching better than Cy F. Young I didn't really get or appreciate what he was doing. I'm trying to try to grasp in the moment just how fucking remarkable this season is.

Jackstraw 4 hours 53 min ago view
  • This is awesome.

(CSN Chicago will air Vin Scully's call of the Sunday Cubs vs. Dodgers game...well for an inning at least)

• I figured this was going to be the most meaningless regular season in Cubs history...and it is pretty much on point, although I certainly didn't think we'd have close to a 14 game lead.

But, one bad hop in game 1 in October could change absolutely everything we will remember about this year.

blockhead25 6 hours 29 min ago view
  • oh he's great, there's like 10 great pitchers in the NL right now that can flat out dominate though. Picking #2 (behind Kershaw) doesn't matter much to me right now. Much like whom the Cubs will play in the playoffs won't matter much, they're gonna be good teams.

• The Cubs great pitching has a lot more to do with their great defense this year and plenty of good luck  (#1 in ERA, #4 in FIP behind Nats, Mets and Dodgers with a rather ridiculous .258 BABIP against Cubs' pitchers).

Cubs pitchers do strike out more hitters than Giants pitchers and do walk more hitters than Giants pitchers so that's a few more balls in play. Cubs' pitchers actually have a higher groundball rate though. Crawford is just really good and baseball happens.