Volstad Goes Four at Fitch & Castro Leads Cubs to Victory at HoHoKam
Chris Volstad threw four innings (67 pitches), allowing two runs (only one earned) on six hits (all singles), with no walks and eight strikeouts, and Jeffrey Baez singled twice, tripled, drove-in a run, and stole a base, in Extended Spring Training intrasquad action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Despite allowing six hits, Volstad had a very impressive outing, throwing strikes and getting lots of ground balls (4/0 GO/FO and five ground ball singles).
Later in the day and a half-mile up Center Street, Iowa Cubs LHP Travis Wood threw six solid innings of one-run ball (76 pitches – 49 strikes), Starlin Castro hammered a 1st inning two-run home run off the scoreboard, Alfredo Amezaga clubbed a solo HR, and Joe Mather laced an RBI double into the LF corner and scored on a Darwin Barney RBI single, leading the Cubs to a 5-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers in what was the Cubs’ final Cactus League Spring Training game of 2012.
Rafael Dolis labored through his one inning of relief, walking two and allowing a two-out RBI double, but Shawn Camp pitched the 9th and notched the save in typical Shawn Camp fashion, allowing a hard-hit single through the box to open the inning, before inducing a 6-4-3 DP grounder, and getting the final out of the game on a check-swing strike three.
Because a half-dozen EXST Cubs position players were at the MLB game, the intrasquad game did not have enough players to stock two full lineups, so Rock Shoulders was the DH for both squads, and players from Squad “B” rotated defensively at 3B for Squad “A.”.
Here is the abridged box score from the intrasquad game at Fitch Park:
NOTE: Rock Shoulders was DH for both teams and had five PA (total), and SQUAD “B” players rotated defensively at 3B for SQUAD “A”
SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 3-U, BB, K, SB)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-5 (K, 4-6 FC, K, F-8, F-8, 2 SB)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 3B, K, R)
4. Anthony Giansanti, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, K, R)
5. Rock Shoulders, DH: 1-4 (FC, 1B, 3-6-1 DP, K, R)
6. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-3 (3-6 DP, 1B, BB, 1-3)
7. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 3-4 (1B, 1B, K, 3B, RBI, SB)
8. Luis Acosta, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, K)
9. NO 3B IN LINEUP
NOTE: Jair Bogaerts played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings, Danny Lockhart played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 2nd and 6th innings, and Carlos Penalver played 3B for SQUAD “A” in bottom of 4th inning
SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (1-3, BB, K, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 5-3 SH, BB, L-8, 1B, R, SB)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, BB, 4-3, R, SB)
4. Ryan Cuneo, LF: 2-5 (E-4, P-4, 4-3, 1B, 3B, R, RBI, SB)
5. Delbis Arcila, RF: 1-4 (BB, K, 3B, 4-3, 6-3, RBI)
6. Garrett Schlecht, CF: 2-5 (1B, K, K, F-7, 2B)
7. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 6-3, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED 2nd & 4th TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
8. Yaniel Cabezas, C: DID NOT BAT – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST FOUR TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Rock Shoulders, DH: 0-1 (K)
SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Zach Cates: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (0 ER), 5 BB, 3 K, 73 pitches (36 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Alberto Cabrera: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 15 pitches (8 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
3. Jin-Young Kim: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (12 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Sheldon McDonald: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 19 pitches (15 strikes), 1/0 G)/FO
SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Chris Volstad: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 GIDP, 67 pitches (49 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Felix Pena: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 12 pitches (9 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
5. Ian Dickson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
SQUAD “A” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Anthony Giansanti: 0-3 CS
SQUAD “B” CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Yaniel Cabezas: 0-4 CS
SQUAD “A” ERRORS: 1
2B Brian Inoa - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70’s
Imagine if Schwarber was healthy.
J.Zimmermann with a 695 at the moment, Arrieta is second at 495. Ross apparently hasn't qualified yet with just 4 starts and 22 IP fwiw.
Cubs Foe Tomorrow -
The Cubs are facing young Joe Ross tomorrow night for the Nats.
He has an ERA+ of 542. NOT a typo.
I don't think I have seen that recently...
as if you hadn't noticed, but the Cubs are dominating baseball at the moment at a level that has not been seen too often in baseball history.
if only he could throw a ball to first base, he might have a negative ERA and the Cubs would be undefeated.
Thanks for the extensive scouting report.
How about that Lester. What a beast. A nifty 1.58 ERA/227 ERA+
Sean Rodriguez still a douche
Strop quick pitches him and so he jaws with Strop and Cubs dugout.
Get use to it Pauly Shore, Buccos are done
was the last out, bottom 6th more about Adam Warren being good or about the Pirates struggling this series?
and on cue, Len and JD discuss:
JD: It appears that Adam Warren is becoming Joe Maddon's favorite club.
Len: You mean favorite Cub?
JD: No like a favorite golf club.
Len: Like Billie Baroo (then does Ted Knight/Judge Smails impersonation from Caddyshack)
Rizzo on fire
By the way in relation to the zany suits Madden was saying his other reason for forcing players to wear them in public is to cause some awkwardness and embarrassment in the players that they'd have to overcome. He said he feels this ability might help players when they screw up in the game recover more quickly. Not sure if it will but he definitely thinks about the things he does.
Brutal. Pirates load the bases with 0 outs and fail to push any runners across. After two tough games, that really has to suck the wind out of them. Man...
Bases loaded no outs
Lester pitches out of it
Most excellent! MTFBWY!
Btw Star Wars Day, May the Fourth
/found on twitter