Baez & Vogelbach Demolish Giants
Javier Baez slugged a three-run home run, tripled twice, drove-in four runs, and scored three more, Dan Vogelbach crushed a towering two-run home run over the RF screen and onto Camelback Road, and Garrett Schlecht blooped what proved to be a game-winning RBI single to short LF with two outs in the top of the 7th, as the Cubs swept the Giants by scores of 4-3 and 9-3 in an Extended Spring Training split squad doubleheader this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were seven-inning affairs.
San Francisco Giants 2B Freddie Sanchez (on a rehab assignment at Extended Spring Training) had an RBI double and scored a run for the Giants squad on Field #2, and Brian Nicholson pumped a two-run HR for the Giants squad on Field #1.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD “A” LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston, Jr, CF: 0-4 (K, F-7, F-8, P-2)
2. Brian Inoa, 2B: 0-3 (3-1, 4-3, K)
3a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R, SB)
3b. Luis Acosta, PH: 0-1 (K)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, HR, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5a. Anthony Giansanti, DH #2: 0-2 (E-5, K)
5b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-1 (F-7)
6. Danny Lockhart, SS: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, R, SB)
7a. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-2 (4-6-3 DP, 6-3)
7b. Delbis Arcila, RF: 0-1 (6-3)
8. Jair Bogaerts, 3B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, HBP, R)
9. Jeffrey Baez, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
10. Garrett Schlecht, DH #3: 1-2 (P-2, BB, 1B, RBI)
11a. Yaniel Cabezas, C: DID NOT BAT – PLAYED DEFENSE ONLY
11b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED LAST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD “A” PITCHERS:
1. Starling Peralta: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 42 pitches (24 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Jin-Young Kim: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 32 pitches (22 strikes), 5/2 GO/FO
3. Sheldon McDonald: 2.0 IP, 3 H 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 29 pitches (23 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
4. Ramon Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “A” ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD “B” LINEUP:
1. Oliver Zapata, LF: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, F-7)
2. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (BB, F-9, 6-3, 5-3, R)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 3-1, BB, 2B, 2 R)
4. Javier Baez, SS: 3-4 (HR, 3B, 3B, F-7, 3 R, 4 RBI)
5. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (1-3, FC, P-6, R, RBI)
6. Trey Martin, CF: 1-2 (2B, BB, K, 2 R)
7. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, F-8 SF, K, 2 RBI)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (P-2, F-9, P-4)
9. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #2: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 6-3)
10. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-3 (2B, K, 3-U)
CUBS SQUAD “B” PITCHERS:
1. Tayler Scott: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (11 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
2. David Henrie: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Charles Thomas: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 21 pitches (12 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Roderik Pichardo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 13 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD “B” ERRORS: 1
2B Carlos Penalver – E-4 (fielding error on infield single allowed run to score)
WEATHER: Mostly sunny with temperatures in the 90’s
Everytime I recall Szcur's bone marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
In what was probably the last start for RHSP Jeremy Null at EXST...
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
There does seem to be something funky about closers pitching in non-save situations -- they never seem to be as effective. But, to your point, there could not have been a save situation in that game, so why not use your best reliever?
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.