Cubs Youngsters Meet Veteran MLB RHP Kip Wells at Diablo Park
Ryan Dalton smacked a two-out two-run double to cap a three-run 6th, and veteran RHP Kip Wells and three relievers combined to throw a two-hitter with 14 strikeouts, as the Angels topped the Cubs 4-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this afternoon at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
The Angels signed Wells last Friday, and this was his first game outing of any kind in 2013. He allowed one unearned run, a single and a walk, with four strikeouts, in his two innings of work
Two more prospects who recently arrived from the Cubs Dominican Academy made their U. S. debut today, as 17-year old switch-hitting SS Frandy de la Rosa (signed as a 16-year old last July 2nd for a $700K bonus) and 20-year old switch-hitting 2B Bryant Flete (296/419/419 for DSL Cubs #2 in 2012) saw action in the game. Flete will probably be the starting 2B for the AZL Cubs in 2013, and de la Rosa will likely spend Extended Spring Training battling Francisco Sanchez for the AZL Cubs starting SS job.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1a. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, R, SB)
1b. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-1 (4-3)
2a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-8)
2b. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
3. Reggie Golden, DH #1: 0-2 (K, L-9, BB, SB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (E-6, K, BB)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF-DH: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 6-4 FC)
6. Xavier Batista, DH-RF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (BB, P-6)
7b. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-1 (K)
8a. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-2 (K, F-8)
8b. Jeffrey Baez, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9a. Lance Rymel, C: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
9b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
10. Luis Acosta, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
1. Dillon Maples: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 35 pitches (27 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 39 pitches (23 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Mike Hamann: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Matt Iannazzo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes)
3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Phil, do you know if Victorino has an opt out date approaching? Thanks.
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.
Who's Mr. June-August? Can't be Jorge "Mr. 1.705 Playoff OPS " Soler, can it?
Chesny Young 4-5 tonight for Tenn. Now hitting .410 with an OBP over .500.
That's a .720 winning percentage and projects to 117 wins over 162 games.
That's a lot of dance parties.