Cubs Youngsters Meet Veteran MLB RHP Kip Wells at Diablo Park
Ryan Dalton smacked a two-out two-run double to cap a three-run 6th, and veteran RHP Kip Wells and three relievers combined to throw a two-hitter with 14 strikeouts, as the Angels topped the Cubs 4-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this afternoon at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe, AZ.
The Angels signed Wells last Friday, and this was his first game outing of any kind in 2013. He allowed one unearned run, a single and a walk, with four strikeouts, in his two innings of work
Two more prospects who recently arrived from the Cubs Dominican Academy made their U. S. debut today, as 17-year old switch-hitting SS Frandy de la Rosa (signed as a 16-year old last July 2nd for a $700K bonus) and 20-year old switch-hitting 2B Bryant Flete (296/419/419 for DSL Cubs #2 in 2012) saw action in the game. Flete will probably be the starting 2B for the AZL Cubs in 2013, and de la Rosa will likely spend Extended Spring Training battling Francisco Sanchez for the AZL Cubs starting SS job.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1a. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, R, SB)
1b. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-1 (4-3)
2a. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-8)
2b. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-2 (4-3, K)
3. Reggie Golden, DH #1: 0-2 (K, L-9, BB, SB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (E-6, K, BB)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF-DH: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 6-4 FC)
6. Xavier Batista, DH-RF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
7a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-1 (BB, P-6)
7b. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-1 (K)
8a. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 0-2 (K, F-8)
8b. Jeffrey Baez, LF: 0-0 (BB)
9a. Lance Rymel, C: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
9b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
10. Luis Acosta, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
1. Dillon Maples: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 37 pitches (22 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 35 pitches (27 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 39 pitches (23 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Mike Hamann: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 31 pitches (22 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
5. Matt Iannazzo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 12 pitches (10 strikes)
3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
neat. 41 years old and damn close to 3000 hits.
also, rain delays suck.
take that giants
TEX takes the opening game from TOR (@TOR) 5-3.
Ride the Kid Magic! Schwarber hadn't homered in a long time before last night.
Greg Maddux was 8-18 in his rookie season. Kyle has the 8 wins down pat.
Think Baby Maddux.
Prof. Harold Hill's THINK system at work.
Kyle is on the far left.
Just tweeted via Jesse Rogers: Hendricks starting Game 2. Wow. Just wow.
That was good!
1. I hate the fact that after 162 games, a team could be out after 1 game. However, I think the system is pretty close to perfect right now. 2 of 3 isn't feasible unless they shorten the regular season, and it ices the division winners for way too long. This creates excitement, and rewards the division winners.
Call me lost.