Sveum gets tossed

What do you call this stretch of time in Chicago Cubs' history anyway?
(I'm talking about the team playing in the Major League ballparks, of course.)
Is it The Intermission?
Growing Pains?
The 105th Year Stretch?
Even though most of us kind of shrug through these games, it's nice to see some kind of emotion displayed once in awhile.
Which was why I was so happy to watch an animated Dale Sveum run out of the dugout and argue for his pitcher.
You know, some things can get me off the couch and rattle the house with some yelling - the Rizzo homer that could have hit Murphy's, a Castro crazy-range play at short, and last night a good old fashioned tossing of the manager.
Felt good.
Made me wonder what it'll feel like when the Cubs are contenders.
When a 2-2 pitch to Ryan Braun in an April game may actually ladder up to something more meaningful than an evening's entertainment.
This game started off so rotten even Len said Samardzija musta got up on the wrong side of the bed, but then it got pretty watchable.
The insanity of Jean Segura's stealing second and then (the ump explained) technically stealing first made a definite memory.
And I found myself lost in the game and really caring when suddenly Kevin Gregg came in and, you know...you go oh yeah, this is just a halftime show or something.
But I'll keep watching and painting.
Sveum looks like kind of a bad-ass doesn't he?
You can't argue balls and strikes, Dale, but you can pracitce at it.
And one day maybe you'll LaRussa some ump into giving your team a break when it counts.

Comments

cool

When we look back on this time, I think it will be called "The Empty Promise". Theo's Red Sox team imploded just as he was leaving town, he has never rebuilt a team from scratch, the Red Sox only won when their 3-4 hiiters were juiced -- but we're supposed to believe this guy is smarter than all other GMs and will lead the Cubs to prosperity. Whoops, excuse me, Rizzo just struck out again.

speaking of rizzo...SD is starting the reliever-to-starter transition for cashner a little ahead of expected schedule.

4ip 2h 1bb 5k (2er) 65 pitches, tonight

You might be right billy...I hope not, but you might be. I will say that under Epstein, they did draft:
David Murphy
Justin Masterson
Daniel Bard
Josh Reddick
Will Middlebrooks
Casey Kelly
Ryan Lavarnway
All who've seen some time in the majors. If Hendry had a draft record like that, he'd still be the GM.

• Thanks for the updates Phil. Too bad about Frazier.

Hagsag 1 hour 15 min ago view
  • The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 6 hours 24 min ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 6 hours 38 min ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 10 hours 49 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 11 hours 55 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 12 hours 21 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 12 hours 48 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 14 hours 17 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

• The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 15 hours 51 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 17 hours 31 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 17 hours 33 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 17 hours 35 min ago view